Bama, Clemson, Washington, and... ??? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Bama, Clemson, Washington, and... ???

It's going to be Ohio State.

Penn State doesn't even care. They're perfectly happy with the Rose Bowl. Where I hope they face USC and USC beats them by 4 TDs. That's the last we'll hear of that.

I'm happy with the way things are, but a 8 team playoff right now with Alabama, Clemson, Washington, Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, USC, Oklahoma would be pretty cool. One of those years where there's a clear 8 best teams.

And no, Western Michigan shouldn't be included. Nice season, but watching you lose by 62-0 to Alabama entertains no one and sours what you accomplished.
Actually, there is one best team, 'BAMA, and 7-8 other good teams.

It's bad enough that one conference is left out. It would have to take something extraordinary to give one conference two bids.

Alabama, Clemson, Washington and Penn State.

PSU has the head to head and the conference championship. How do you keep them out?
Doesn't overall record mean anything to anybody? Ohio St has a better record and arguably the BEST resume of anybody( including Alabama). Nice run by Penn St. but this shouldn't even be close.

conference championships do matter there tiebreakers ,but penn states resume is far worse than the top 3 (bama,clemson,osu) that there competing with Washington , I can see it going either way between those 2
There, their, they're. Useful tools.

Actually, there is one best team, 'BAMA, and 7-8 other good teams.

Agree, I think they roll (no pun intended).

But a one team playoff would be quite boring.

Just happens to be a cleaner cutoff this year between 8 and 9 than there is between 4 and 5.

Other years, it won't be the case, so you can't make decisions based on one year. That would be like having an All Star game determine home field advantage for the championship of your sport (or did I dream that?).

Doesn't overall record mean anything to anybody? Ohio St has a better record and arguably the BEST resume of anybody( including Alabama). Nice run by Penn St. but this shouldn't even be close.

Except Penn State beat Ohio State.

It matters, until it doesn't.

I want tOSU in because Urban can beat Nick.

Im not sure how anyone can root for osu with the fanbase they have. Has to be the most obnoxious of all.

Via ESPN's David Hale

Wins over 8-win opponents:
Alabama - 6
Clemson - 6
Wash - 5
Ohio St - 5
Penn St - 5

#conferencetitlesmatter

I have a hard time with a team playing for a national championship when they didn't win their division or play in their conference championship. I think OSU is way overrated. I hate PSU, but I think they deserve being in the final four. If they get in, all four teams will have won their conference championships. I think it's going to be: Alabama, Clemson, Washington, and OSU.

Osu was so far ahead of them going in, the conference title isn't going to matter.

Probably. I'm just pointing out that the outcome will have to be rationalized by the selection committee, no matter what it is.

This afternoon will tell us how important conference championships are, more than any other year. Given Bama and Clemson, I could see any the following 3 scenarios play out:

1. Ped, O$U
  2. Ped, Wash
  3. O$U, Wash
If the committee is 'serious' about its conference championship plank, then scenario 2 wins out. Any other combination, they need to stop saying conference championships matter.

So much easier with an 8 team playoff, but that won't happen for years, if ever. Because that couldn't possibly work, right? #FCS

I'm not so sure Clemson or Washington is a lock after the past 2 days. I hope they are but I really think one of them is getting screwed when all is said and done
UW should be nervous but no way Clemson gets left out. They have one loss, in a close game, to a top 25 Pitt squad that also beat the team you'd be leaving Clemson out for (PSU). Clemson also beat Auburn and destroyed South Carolina while winning the ACC, coming from the division that's as loaded as any one division in CFB.

This afternoon will tell us how important conference championships are, more than any other year. Given Bama and Clemson, I could see any the following 3 scenarios play out:

1. Ped, O$U
  2. Ped, Wash
  3. O$U, Wash
If the committee is 'serious' about its conference championship plank, then scenario 2 wins out. Any other combination, they need to stop saying conference championships matter.

So much easier with an 8 team playoff, but that won't happen for years, if ever. Because that couldn't possibly work, right? #FCS

I could see a six team playoff, with the top two getting byes. That way, the top two get an extra week as a reward while the next four are forced to play and additional game. A six team playoff would likely include all realistic championship contenders.

1. Ped, O$U
  2. Ped, Wash
  3. O$U, Wash

If they reduced the regular season by 1 game like they do in FCS they could expand the playoffs.
The additional TV money for an expanded playoffs would pay for the one
Less regular season game.

If they don't want to expand then the committee is going to tell us if conference titles and head to head truly matter.
Penn State shouldn't be out because they challenged themselves at Pitt.
Penn State played Pitt and Temple in the nonconference.
Ohio State won at Oklahoma.
Washington played Rutgers and two tomato cans.

UW should be nervous but no way Clemson gets left out. They have one loss, in a close game, to a top 25 Pitt squad that also beat the team you'd be leaving Clemson out for (PSU). Clemson also beat Auburn and destroyed South Carolina while winning the ACC, coming from the division that's as loaded as any one division in CFB.
Agreed. I would be stunned (as would the rest of the CFB world) if Clemson got left out.

Supposedly some things matter:

- Head to head
- Conference championships
- Who you beat, and how many times
- Who beat you, and how many times

It'll be interesting to see which rules really matter.

Supposedly some things matter:

- Head to head
- Conference championships
- Who you beat, and how many times
- Who beat you, and how many times

It'll be interesting to see which rules really matter.
Id laugh if UW gets left out. The committee would basically be saying that there's 3 legit football conferences and the other two need to figure it out.

We look more favorably on the ACC and that division than the rest of the country though. That is what should scare Clemson.

When comparing UW and Clemson who's loss was worse...clearly its Clemson as Washington lost to a highly thought of USC team. Clemson lost to an ok Pitt team. Only thing that should give Clemson some pause for concern.

Gun to my head I think Clemson is in, but I wouldn't be shocked if they are passed over

Id laugh if UW gets left out. The committee would basically be saying that there's 3 legit football conferences and the other two need to figure it out.

Nothing to do with conferences. The message they would be sending is..."there is more to this than the outcome of games."

We look more favorably on the ACC and that division than the rest of the country though. That is what should scare Clemson.

When comparing UW and Clemson who's loss was worse...clearly its Clemson as Washington lost to a highly thought of USC team. Clemson lost to an ok Pitt team. Only thing that should give Clemson some pause for concern.

Gun to my head I think Clemson is in, but I wouldn't be shocked if they are passed over
No chance in hell Clemson is out. Zero percent chance.
12-1
Conference Champs
6 wins over 8 win teams.
They played 11 of 13 games against P5 teams.
Played a game at Auburn and won.

Washington has nothing close to that.
The debate is between Ohio State, Pennsylvania State, and Washington for 2 spots.

Exactly, zero chance Clemson gets left out. The committee likes to change how they rank teams as each week passes but none of that impacts Clemson.

Do we?..

ACC - ATLANTIC

#3 Clemson
#12 FSU
#13 Louisville

NC State, Wake and BC bowl eligible

B1G - EAST

#2 Ohio State
#5 Michigan
#7 PSU

Indiana and Maryland bowl eligible

SEC - WEST

#1 Bama
#14 Auburn
#21 LSU

Texas A&M and Arkansas bowl eligible

Clemson also went to Auburn and won and crushed a mediocre SouthCarolina. Washington beat Rutgers. That's their big out of conference win.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseAlum07

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom