Best SU coaching staff? | Syracusefan.com

Best SU coaching staff?

Jack Hall

All Conference
Is this the best coaching staff JB has put together, Hop, Red, Gmac? Gotta be right up there for me. Which staff do people consider to be better?

Is this the best coaching staff JB has put together, Hop, Red, Gmac? Gotta be right up there for me. Which staff do people consider to be better?

We are really humming right now, but I think you have to say the staff with Weaver, Bernie & Hop was the equal of this staff (or very close to it) in recruiting, while perhaps coaching offense a bit better, but the zone a bit worse.

We are really humming right now, but I think you have to say the staff with Weaver, Bernie & Hop was the equal of this staff (or very close to it) in recruiting, while perhaps coaching offense a bit better, but the zone a bit worse.

How do you distinguish between better coaching and better execution or better talent allowing for better execution?

How do you distinguish between better coaching and better execution or better talent allowing for better execution?

Weaver taught Melo & Hak the jab step when he was here and our forwards out-performed even the level they are at right now. Bernie did have a reputation as a good big man coach, and deservedly so, when you think about how players like Rony and Etan developed in their time here. But the zone used to just get carved up inside back in those days. I think the talent between those 2 sets of coaches was about a push. NBA first rounders on each squad.

Weaver taught Melo & Hak the jab step when he was here and our forwards out-performed even the level they are at right now. Bernie did have a reputation as a good big man coach, and deservedly so, when you think about how players like Rony and Etan developed in their time here. But the zone used to just get carved up inside back in those days. I think the talent between those 2 sets of coaches was about a push. NBA first rounders on each squad.

Good points. I would be interested to know who is most responsible for the nuances in the zone and some of the more radical adjustments we've seen made to it the last few years. The way we extended out against Va Tech on Tuesday night and really left the middle to be guarded by just one player was sheer artistry.

We all tend to give 100% credit to JB. If so, who or what is his inspiration.

Good points. I would be interested to know who is most responsible for the nuances in the zone and some of the more radical adjustments we've seen made to it the last few years. The way we extended out against Va Tech on Tuesday night and really left the middle to be guarded by just one player was sheer artistry.

it was impressive...when Keita was in there. When Rak was in there to be that one guy i did not completely liked what i saw

Reading JBs book now, i think he is his own inspiration, but i do think this young coaching staff, Hop in particular has helped rejuvenate him.

And if i had a wife like Juli i would be pretty inspired

Wayne Morgan was a real good recruiter back in his day. He brought in some of the stars, but was also in spotting Sherman Douglas and Lawrence Moten, who were both relatively under the radar recruits if I remember.

I think the coaching renaissance has been a combination of things. But, I think the biggest effect has come from things JB has learned while working for team USA. He has had the opportunity to work alongside some really good coaches. He has made many references to how good those coaches are. I really think it opened his eyes and feel he has been more proactive these past few years as a result of that exposure.

I think the coaching renaissance has been a combination of things. But, I think the biggest effect has come from things JB has learned while working for team USA. He has had the opportunity to work alongside some really good coaches. He has made many references to how good those coaches are. I really think it opened his eyes and feel he has been more proactive these past few years as a result of that exposure.
Agreed, hasnt he praised Dantoni as having a great offensive mind?

Reading JBs book now, i think he is his own inspiration, but i do think this young coaching staff, Hop in particular has helped rejuvenate him.
JB has a book? You reading "Color Him Orange"? If so, what do you think of it?

A little dry, but i like it. Not authorized by JB, the author admits JB was miffed when he went forward w it, but was nevertheless accommodative. Shows JB to be a good guy imo and great coach. I think anyone who grew up in northern NY can relate to much of how JB grew up.

And it avoids the whole fine thing so far, in fact very little mention of his assistants so far which disappointed me a little but i havent finished

This is an interesting question.

How about Boeheim's first staff? He's better now than he was then (as is nearly anyone with the benefit of 30+ years of experience), but he, Pitino, Bernie, and Mark Meadors were good basketball people.

More recently, I don't know enough about these guys (McNamara's pretty new to this; haven't heard much about his coaching). From what I know about Weaver, his coaching acumen left something to be desired (his recruiting, of course, did not). Louis Orr was a darn good coach and developer of players, but the recruiting was a struggle toward the end.

Ive long been a fan of Bernie's work with our bigs. I'd go as far as to say we might have at least 1 more NC banner hanging if he were still around due to the bigs being a relative disappointment/weakness compared to what we imagined most of them to be. It's sad he doesn't seem to get the credit he deserves on here, even though he gets some.

This is an interesting question.

How about Boeheim's first staff? He's better now than he was then (as is nearly anyone with the benefit of 30+ years of experience), but he, Pitino, Bernie, and Mark Meadors were good basketball people.

More recently, I don't know enough about these guys (McNamara's pretty new to this; haven't heard much about his coaching). From what I know about Weaver, his coaching acumen left something to be desired (his recruiting, of course, did not). Louis Orr was a darn good coach and developer of players, but the recruiting was a struggle toward the end.
I always thought Bernie was very overrated as a big man coach. But the first staff with just pitino was first rate.

We shouldn't underestimate what Nick Resavy brings to the table either

I always thought Bernie was very overrated as a big man coach. But the first staff with just pitino was first rate.

I think he's overrated, too. But still plenty good. Just not the big man savant that he's sometimes made out to be.

Seems like this staff is very well rounded.

You have Boeheim, the wise, crotchety patriarch who has seen it all before.

Hopkins. The next generation. Feisty, animated. Gets along well with the players while maintaining respect as their coach.

Gerry. The big brother. Can relate to the players as he is still relatively young himself.

Red. The recruiter. Seems like the players (current and recruits) really gravitate towards him. He like Hopkins, seems to be very good at maintaining friendships with the players without losing their respect as a coach.

And it avoids the whole fine thing so far, in fact very little mention of his assistants so far which disappointed me a little but i havent finished

It came out just as the was hitting the fan. Maybe he'll do an update on the book someday the way Bud Poliquin has updated his book.

I'm going with 2010: JB, Bernie, Hop and Rob Murphy. Plus, it had Laz Sims as PD coordinator and GMac as Grad Assistant and Jake Presutti as "volunteer assistant."

I was not a fan of Murphy when he came in to replace Troy Weaver, and the stated purpose of having him open up the midwest talent pipeline never happened, but he is the man most responsible for the rise to prominence of the defense, which is the real cause of the current Renaissance. So, I was wrong about Murph back then, and now I think he's the 2nd most important assistant coach in the JB era (behind only Weaver)

I'm going with 2010: JB, Bernie, Hop and Rob Murphy. Plus, it had Laz Sims as PD coordinator and GMac as Grad Assistant and Jake Presutti as "volunteer assistant."

I was not a fan of Murphy when he came in to replace Troy Weaver, and the stated purpose of having him open up the midwest talent pipeline never happened, but he is the man most responsible for the rise to prominence of the defense, which is the real cause of the current Renaissance. So, I was wrong about Murph back then, and now I think he's the 2nd most important assistant coach in the JB era (behind only Weaver)
Why do you say exactly he was the man most responsible for the rise of our defense? To me the zone became more active and effective right around 2010. He got here when? 2003? Did he really change the way JB thought about zone defense?

Why do you say exactly he was the man most responsible for the rise of our defense? To me the zone became more active and effective right around 2010. He got here when? 2003? Did he really change the way JB thought about zone defense?

The two Jonny Flynn squads treated defense like an STD. Prior to the 09-10 season, Murphy challenged the team to embrace defensive play as an identity - he created the Shut It Down rap and video and the team organized itself around the zone not simply as a defense but as a weapon. We haven't looked back since.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom