Better Call Saul | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

Better Call Saul

That Ep……it didn’t really do it for me.
With only 3 episodes and less than 4 hours of story telling left, it wasn't the plot I would have chosen to tell. BUT... contextually, I think it is going to set up Gene's eventual fate / demise. Interesting that "Jeffy" once ran around with the wrong crowd in Albequerque. Now that he's gotten a taste of ill-gotten gain, I strongly doubt he'll leave "Gene" alone -- I expect he'll have some role in Gene's secret whereabouts getting revealed.

The episode might make a lot more sense in another episode of two, if it sets up the conclusion in ways that aren't obvious now.

Classic Slippin' Jimmy gambit, though.

Last edited:
Good not great ep.

I liked it.

We spent too long away from Gene.

Good to see him go on the offensive.

And I'm absolutely putting forward the theory that Parks and Rec is part of the Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul universe.

I'm not a huge fan of the one off type episodes, but I know others love them. (thinking Stranger Things Eleven in Chicago, Ted Lasso's Beard on the Town or The Sopranos Test Dream). But I know I'm a simple kinda man, so don't judge me and I won't judge you (jerks).

Watching that fat security guard eat all those cinnabons nearly made me throw up. Especially his full dissection of that first one. Also good to see Carol Burnett still delivering at age 89. I loved her show back in the day.

I liked it.

And I'm absolutely putting forward the theory that Parks and Rec is part of the Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul universe.
Gotta suck watching security cams all day when Christie Brinkley is back home.

I'm not a huge fan of the one off type episodes, but I know others love them. (thinking Stranger Things Eleven in Chicago, Ted Lasso's Beard on the Town or The Sopranos Test Dream). But I know I'm a simple kinda man, so don't judge me and I won't judge you (jerks).

Watching that fat security guard eat all those cinnabons nearly made me throw up. Especially his full dissection of that first one. Also good to see Carol Burnett still delivering at age 89. I loved her show back in the day.

Poor Jerry/Garry/Larry/Terry

I liked it.

It was good to see and hear from Gene extensively, because in the scenes we’ve previously gotten he was pretty quiet and cautious…like a shell of himself. Here it was good to see him liven up, out of desperation.

But as others have said….the repeated Cinnabon maulings just got tedious to me. And I was taken out of things a bit by how he always sits with his back to the screens while eating. You mean to tell me it never dawned on him to sit on the other side of the table? Cmon.

The whole thing in black and white was tough too.

It was good to see and hear from Gene extensively, because in the scenes we’ve previously gotten he was pretty quiet and cautious…like a shell of himself. Here it was good to see him liven up, out of desperation.

But as others have said….the repeated Cinnabon maulings just got tedious to me. And I was taken out of things a bit by how he always sits with his back to the screens while eating. You mean to tell me it never dawned on him to sit on the other side of the table? Cmon.

I loved the surgical consumption of Cinnabon.

But I'm also a fat guy, so...

People have routines for everything.

Given that the Gene stuff -- even in the "future" -- isn't present tense, I found their discussion about Nebraska football, with the SU connection to "Bo Pelini," amusing.

Given that the Gene stuff -- even in the "future" -- isn't present tense, I found their discussion about Nebraska football, with the SU connection to "Bo Pelini," amusing.
True, that was enjoyable to me. Saul going from just pretending to care while saying nothing at all, to studying and then throwing out info only a big fan would know….hilarious.

Some people were thrown off by the fact that the actor who initially played the cab driver in the previous Gene timeline episode was replaced by another for this one, and he's very different. The first one was too creepy, and this one wasn't creepy enough (or too oafish).

I liked the episode. The cabbie guy issue needed to be dealt with, and Gene obviously needed to scratch that Slippin' Jimmy itch to deal with those bleak Nebraska winters. And there was actual Slipping!

Carol Burnett was terrific - precisely because she played it straight.

True, that was enjoyable to me. Saul going from just pretending to care while saying nothing at all, to studying and then throwing out info only a big fan would know….hilarious.

For the sticklers, it was way too warm in Omaha in mid-October 2010 for there to be a snowstorm.

It’s too bad the original cab driver actor - Don Harvey - couldn’t continue in the role because he’s a really good small-role actor.
At the same time, I don’t think he would have been a good fit for ‘Jeffy’. Jeffy was a wimpy screwup and a mama’s boy in this episode. That is not who the original taxi driver was.

I’m not sure I needed a whole episode dedicated to the Return of Saul but I’ll take whatever I can get.
It was a really good caper episode.

CORRECTION: I should have written ‘Return of Jimmy’ not Return of Saul.
The way that he returned that gaudy shirt and tie to the department store rack seems to maybe indicate that ‘Saul’ is not going to return again.

Last edited:
I really don’t know where these next 3 episodes will go. Do they go back to ABQ and pickup where the newly transformed Saul just left off 2 episodes ago? Do they continue with Gene? Do they show us where Kim is in “Gene” times?

I honestly don’t know what to expect, which is good.

Hope there really is a couple Walt/Jesse sightings, even if brief. We got a Walt reference from Gene. Online rumors were saying the most recent episode was called “Walt and Jesse”, but that was obviously incorrect.

I really don’t know where these next 3 episodes will go. Do they go back to ABQ and pickup where the newly transformed Saul just left off 2 episodes ago? Do they continue with Gene? Do they show us where Kim is in “Gene” times?

Hope there really is a couple Walt/Jesse sightings, even if brief. We got a Walt reference from Gene. Online rumors were saying the most recent episode was called “Walt and Jesse”, but that was obviously incorrect.

I think we've seen the last of Kim.

She and "Gene" don't deserve a happy ending, after the lives they've ruined.

And her exit "explains" why we never saw nor heard about her in Breaking Bad.

Nah. They've all but confirmed that she will be back in some form. Maybe just on the phone or in a flashback?

Based on past history, if Rhea Seehorn was done, she would have done an appearance on the Better Call Saul Insider Podcast.
I'm about 99% sure that there will be a reunion with Jimmy and Kim.

Based on past history, if Rhea Seehorn was done, she would have done an appearance on the Better Call Saul Insider Podcast.
I'm about 99% sure that there will be a reunion with Jimmy and Kim.

Many of the actors who have made those appearances do so because their characters died. Meaning that they were clearly "done."

We have three episodes left -- her appearing might be a spoiler one way or the other.

Just the alternate perspective.

Sometimes, stories don't wrap up neatly with a tight bow and a happy ending.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom