Big announcement at 1 pm today: Hop to Washington | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Big announcement at 1 pm today: Hop to Washington

This situation is sad to me. Hopkins has been so loyal and I feel like he was told that he was not going to be the guy privately. His heart must have felt like it was being ripped out.

You don't leave in this situation unless you are certain you would not be taking over next season.
Or he sees a mess at Syracuse and thinks Washington is a better opportunity.

There's more than one way to look at this.

This situation is sad to me. Hopkins has been so loyal and I feel like he was told that he was not going to be the guy privately. His heart must have felt like it was being ripped out.

You don't leave in this situation unless you are certain you would not be taking over next season.
Or he sees the pile of manure that he will inherit and figured he didn't wait 15+ years to be set up to fail.

Im happy for Hop but I can't help but be very very angry.

I doubt we'll break the bank for a competent coach deserving of the SU job.

This is just...just untimely news.
This is how I'm feeling. We just what from uncertainty of timing to uncertainty of who will be running our program.

I guess there's only 3 options here if this is true.

Hopkins really wants to live in Seattle.

Wildhack changed the succession plan.

JB said he's not planning to go quietly after next season.

What else could it be? My money is on the 3rd one.

If SU struggles next year (likely), the natives will be restless. This could get ugly -- quickly.

That was 100% true. Everyone is missing that just maybe, he got 1. a better deal with Washington than he was with Syracuse and 2. He thinks Washington is a better place for him. They certainly have recruited better than us over the past few years.
well a contract binds both parties. so i'm assuming he's paying the university millions to be released.
that or perhaps this" HIC contract" never existed in the first place as i repeatedly maintained.

We're too big of a program not to have a national coaching search.

Hop would have took the USC job if they wanted him, too.

There is obviously a lot going on behind closed doors though

Agreed. If there's a silver lining, its that we will now conduct a national search for a replacement, and land an experienced proven commodity instead of somebody who's coached 9 games.

So...Allen Griffin? Stevie?

I say this as someone who loves Mike Hopkins: this is a win-win for everyone involved.

Hopkins gets an opportunity to coach in one of the greatest cities in America, at a University where he won't be under intense pressure to replace a legend.

And we have the ability not to look like we're going back on our word, and find an elite coach who can give this program a needed infusion of new vision and coaching style.

well a contract binds both parties. so i'm assuming he's paying the university millions to be released.
that or perhaps this HIC contract" never existed in the first place as i repeatedly maintained.
Well, you would wrong. And it isn't a guess. And no, he won't owe the University a cent. Wildhack is happy he gets to choose his own guy,

why?

I just don't thing the University will be willing to up it to what, 6 or 7 mil a year? Or what we'd have to pay to bring in a heavy hitter. Please tell me im wrong.

Or he sees the pile of manure that he will inherit and figured he didn't wait 15+ years to be set up to fail.

Or the Syracuse admins realize he went 4-5 with a final four team and decided they need a national coaching search for a proven guy.

That was 100% true. Everyone is missing that just maybe, he got 1. a better deal with Washington than he was with Syracuse and 2. He thinks Washington is a better place for him. They certainly have recruited better than us over the past few years.
Romar is an elite recruiter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom