Big announcement at 1 pm today: Hop to Washington | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Big announcement at 1 pm today: Hop to Washington

I say this as someone who loves Mike Hopkins: this is a win-win for everyone involved.

Hopkins gets an opportunity to coach in one of the greatest cities in America, at a University where he won't be under intense pressure to replace a legend.

And we have the ability not to look like we're going back on our word, and find an elite coach who can give this program a needed infusion of new vision and coaching style.
I agree 100%. And let's not ignore the elephant in the room. Mike was unimpressive in his 9 game stint.

Lydon or Battle implications here?
what if he takes them with him, or TT? He just might be pissed enough. Players do not seem happy with JB to say the least.

Agreed. If there's a silver lining, its that we will now conduct a national search for a replacement, and land an experienced proven commodity instead of somebody who's coached 9 games.
I think, in the short term, things could get weird.

JB's kind of a ticking time bomb. If he holds to when he's said he'll hang it up, or goes longer, we need strong assistant coaches. We'd be hiring an assistant in the middle of a lot of future uncertainty.

Agreed. If there's a silver lining, its that we will now conduct a national search for a replacement, and land an experienced proven commodity instead of somebody who's coached 9 games.

But will we pay for a high end coach or hire and up and comer on the cheap?

this can't be true cuz mike hopkins has an "iron clad head coach in waiting" contract that will cost the university literally "millions of dollars" to get out of. i read that here recently...

He absolutely did.

I think, in the short term, things could get weird.

JB's kind of a ticking time bomb. If he holds to when he's said he'll hang it up, or goes longer, we need strong assistant coaches. We'd be hiring an assistant in the middle of a lot of future uncertainty.
I would bet that Jb has a recruiter in mind. I have to think it would come from the outside.

What if JB stays for three more seasons and then Hop returns?

Somebody talk me off the ledge, I'm feeling very uneasy about this.
Hop is great - but is unproven and if he struggled his 2 years post-JB, we'd be in serious trouble.

Now, we open a national search and will have plenty of candidates with proven track records of winning and recruiting.

Syracuse is an elite job. Hopkins may not be an elite coach (we don't know that yet) - but we are better off getting a guy who has proven he can win at this level.

This isn't going to help recruiting at all.
It just may with Ham Wright.
I just don't thing the University will be willing to up it to what, 6 or 7 mil a year? Or what we'd have to pay to bring in a heavy hitter. Please tell me im wrong.
Whoa, whoa, it does not take 6-7 mil a year to get a good college basketball coach.

So what hot shot recruiter is coming to work for a couple of years and try to recruit for a HC whose tenure is undetermined?

Certainly did not expect to read this news this morning.

I haven't read through the thread yet, but I would love to know if:

Boeheim indicated that he wanted to coach longer
Hop wanted to move on
Wildhack didn't honor the succession plan (if so, how does this affect the timing of JB's retirement?)

Moving forward, who will we add to staff? Who will JB's primary assistant be? Who will the ace recruiter be, and how will this affect the '17 and '18 classes?

Very interested to see how Hop coaches at UW, specifically how deep his rotation goes, what D he plays (will he switch defenses, to change tempo/momentum), will his teams be proactive or reactive as far as opponents attempting to dictate tempo?

Also, just saw that Hop got a 6-yr deal!

what if he takes them with him, or TT? He just might be pissed enough. Players do not seem happy with JB to say the least.
they are not going to Washington to sit out a year to play for Hop. Come on. At best, Battle and Lydon have one more year of college, they are not sitting out a year to go to Washinton.

Washington is expected to hire Syracuse assistant coach Mike Hopkins as its next head coach, according to ESPN and CBS Sports.

Hopkins will sign a 6-year deal with Washington, according to ESPN's Jeff Goodman.

Hopkins, 47, has worked under Jim Boeheim at Syracuse since 1996, and he also played college ball for the Orange. He was expected to be the replacement for Boeheim when the veteran head coach retires, having been named the coach-in-waiting in 2015.

"He wants to build a legacy, felt like the opportunity was special at Washington, and also wanted to make sure he did right by his mentor and father figure, Jim Boeheim," a source close to situation told Goodman.

Hopkins, a California native, went 4-5 as interim head coach in 2015-16 while Boeheim was suspended. He has been mentioned in searches for other head-coaching jobs previously, including as a finalist for Oregon State's top job in 2014.

Hopkins replaces Lorenzo Romar, who was fired earlier in the week after 15 seasons with the Huskies.

It would be interesting to know if he has an 'out' clause and if so, what are the terms...
I imagine Washington has the leverage. Can't see an out clause for at least 3 years. Similar to Dino

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom