Big announcement at 1 pm today: Hop to Washington | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Big announcement at 1 pm today: Hop to Washington

So...Allen Griffin? Stevie?
I've been reading along...waiting for someone to mention Stevie. I think Hop would grab him and his sons...That would be a nice start to recruiting for him. Stevie's sons would have to get releases to follow him.

This situation is sad to me. Hopkins has been so loyal and I feel like he was told that he was not going to be the guy privately. His heart must have felt like it was being ripped out.

You don't leave in this situation unless you are certain you would not be taking over next season.

And rumors that JB had been angling to stay past the 17-18' season would give Hopkins serious pause about continuing to commit to the program.

I don't think he wants to end like this...A marginal bubble team and next year looks about the same.

So yeah good on him if he wants to turn it around but he better either a. Start grinding again on the trail or b. Place priority on hiring am elite recruiter over hiring a Syracuse guy.

Hopkins hasn't exactly been tearing it up. Uncertainty about JB leaving has slammed the door on many recruits. Give JB a 5 year extension for show purposes, hire a real recruiter and things might actually stabilize.
And even if he goes in three at least the running clock is gone. Exactly this.

I say this as someone who loves Mike Hopkins: this is a win-win for everyone involved.

Hopkins gets an opportunity to coach in one of the greatest cities in America, at a University where he won't be under intense pressure to replace a legend.

And we have the ability not to look like we're going back on our word, and find an elite coach who can give this program a needed infusion of new vision and coaching style.
This is the best post on this thread. I'm excited for both parties. I think Boeheim deserves to leave on his terms & we deserve an elite, experienced HC who will win big right out of the gate. Knowing Boeheim as I do, he will turn this mess around. This past year was a learning experience even for him. One thing is for sure, we will never be as bad defensively as we were this year. And JB will NEVER again say that on paper we look like a very good team.

I've been reading along...waiting for someone to mention Stevie. I think Hop would grab him and his sons...That would be a nice start to recruiting for him. Stevie's sons would have to get releases to follow him.
No way Oregon State gives them releases to go to Washington.

I don't think he wants to end like this...A marginal bubble team and next year looks about the same.

So yeah good on him if he wants to turn it around but he better either a. Start grinding again on the trail or b. Place priority on hiring am elite recruiter over hiring a Syracuse guy.

But will an elite recruiter come here if he knows it's only for a few years.

The dogs will be barking next year if we miss the tourney again -- and it won't be pretty.

Hopkins hasn't exactly been tearing it up. Uncertainty about JB leaving has slammed the door on many recruits. Give JB a 5 year extension for show purposes, hire a real recruiter and things might actually stabilize.
A 5 year extension does nothing. JB has already spoken out about possibly retiring soon. The uncertainty will still be there and will be used against us by opposing coaches/recruiters.

Hop hasn't been out recruiting as much and this is most likely why. JB wants one thing, he wanted another.

A 73 year old Boeheim ain't grinding.

imo this is a no brainier for Hopkins and it's simple. The 'make his own legacy' comment cemented my belief. If he takes over Syracuse and fails he's done as a head coach. And how many years would he be given to fail? 3 or 4?

With 6 years at UW there's a lot less pressure and a lot more time to make his mark.

they are not going to Washington to sit out a year to play for Hop. Come on. At best, Battle and Lydon have one more year of college, they are not sitting out a year to go to Washinton.
Hope you are right, but you have no idea about what goes on in someone else's mind. Transfers happen. Seems like Hop and JB are good cop / bad cop. What if UW has a few studs lined up and one or more of our youngins could be the missing piece for a NC run while the alternative is an undermanned Cuse team without a PG? You can whistle past the graveyard. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Agreed. If there's a silver lining, its that we will now conduct a national search for a replacement, and land an experienced proven commodity instead of somebody who's coached 9 games.
Please give me Andy Enfield. He's and East Coast dude and he can bring Bland and Hart back with him. It just makes too much sense to happen.

This is the best post on this thread. I'm excited for both parties. I think Boeheim deserves to leave on his terms & we deserve an elite, experienced HC who will win big right out of the gate. Knowing Boeheim as I do, he will turn this mess around. This past year was a learning experience even for him. One thing is for sure, we will never be as bad defensively as we were this year. And JB will NEVER again say that on paper we look like a very good team.
But will he recruit outside a 1 hour radius?

Exactly...I have no problem with him leaving next year, but a long contract makes it harder to recruit against us.
No it doesn't. JB's own words and lack of interest in recruiting will continue to work against us. Our recruiting just got that much more difficult as we'll continue looking solely at zone fits.

Yep. Had heard from good accord that JB had requested 5 more years
^^^ to me this could be the biggest piece of news if accurate and I am not sure if I like it or not...5 years could certainly solidify HCJB recruiting and diminish negative recruiting but I want a coach who is going after recruits hard and I don't think HCJB is that guy anymore... I think it will be critical for the AD to talk about a definitive plan he has if he is there for questions at 1pm. Time to see how our new AD handles his first public situation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom