Big announcement at 1 pm today: Hop to Washington | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Big announcement at 1 pm today: Hop to Washington

It's funny that Washington believes in a guy we've been saying was going to be our coach for 10 years to offer him more years and money.

That was Dr. Gross and Nancy.

I don't care what our past administrators thought. Our currents ones appear to feel differently. And I didn't want him to be the next coach. So this is wonderful to me.

I believe this to be true. But it's going to be the case whomever the new coach is. It's going to take the right kind of person who isn't scared of the pressure.

Correct, but Hop has no head coaching experience and wouldn't of had much/any time to really grow into the position here.

you are better than this. This almost trolling. I think Wildhack is doing cartwheels that Hop is leaving. He gets to hire his own guy. Why would h try and keep a guy that was forced on him?

Honestly, this worries me a ton. Makes me wonder what Hop thinks of the direction we're heading. Makes me also wonder how attractive this job really is. I think both legit concerns considering everything the past season.

Good for Hop and Hart! UW is now officially my second favorite team. I wonder who the next assistant is. Any chance it's Devo lol? I'd much prefer someone more experienced, but couldn't you see Devo being a beast on the recruiting trail?
Hop would love Bland as well. I know that for a fact. (only because if he got the USC job he wanted Bland and Hart)

How do you know how good a recruiter Griff is? What did you know about Troy Weaver before he came here? I ask this because my first thought on Griff was EXACTLY the same as yours. But we don't know. The people inside of college hoop know.
Troy Weaver! That was the name I was searching for. Whatever happened to him?

It's funny that Washington believes in a guy we've been saying was going to be our coach for 10 years to offer him more years and money.
Washington fans don't like this hire, FWIW.

I wish we knew Wildhack's true reaction.
If he is happy or okay with this we all should be.
If he is upset by this then even I am not upset I would be more.

Who is "we"? "We" changed considerably in the last 10 years.

I think that the AD likely has a plan in place and I don't think HCJB or Coach Hopkins had much say in it. From what I recall when Wildhack was hired, the feedback on the board was this guy was a consumate professional and very well organized. I am guessing he has a plan and will stick to that plan whatever it is...

Honestly, this worries me a ton. Makes me wonder what Hop thinks of the direction we're heading. Makes me also wonder how attractive this job really is. I think both legit concerns considering everything the past season.
You are reading way tooooo much in to this. Hop was leaving just two years ago to go to USC. He gets out form under a big shadow.

Lots of ways to read the leaves. Could be JB's going to stay or going to leave now. It may seem clear to you, but JB is an independent sort who may value watching his kids play over coaching. It may not be as fun anymore...
Umm, unlikely. You have to look at this rationally based on Hop's decision:
1) if he knew JB was definitely going to retire next year he would have waited 1 more year. He's been on the bench for 18 years, 1 more isn't going to kill him
2) because Hop took the UW job it means that JB didn't want to/wasn't going to retire next year.
3) because Hop decided to take the UW job it makes it easier for JB to stay as long as he likes withou any undue pressure brought from the HCIW "agreement"

Lots of ways to read the leaves. Could be JB's going to stay or going to leave now. It may seem clear to you, but JB is an independent sort who may value watching his kids play over coaching. It may not be as fun anymore...

And it will be even less fun next year if we struggle (likely) and miss the tourney again. JB is also going to have to take a more hands-on role in practice now that Hop is gone. He's also going to have to step up his game with recruiting. If you think he looked tired at times this year, just wait until next year.

Or maybe he was told that we aren't honoring the contract? Or he read the tea leaves? Or he was left off Wildhack's Christmas card list?

I don't recall you being one of the people who wanted Hop to get his shot. So this is surprising from you.

This is a good thing long term. Maybe the next couple years will be tough. But ultimately this is good.

Umm, unlikely. You have to look at this rationally based on Hop's decision:
1) if he knew JB was definitely going to retire next year he would have waited 1 more year. He's been on the bench for 18 years, 1 more isn't going to kill him
2) because Hop took the UW job it means that JB didn't want to/wasn't going to retire next year.
3) because Hop decided to take the UW job it makes it easier for JB to stay as long as he likes withou any undue pressure brought from the HCIW "agreement"
JB was told that Hop was going to be the coach after next season. Hop got a great offer and was able to get away from Jb and all that goes with him. Good and bad.

So more years, more money. So we can't even compete with the Washingtons in the world but we'll get somebody good to come here. I'm sure we'll get somebody decent but we're not a selector school and I doubt we get a power 5 established coach.

If this isn't telling where we're at as a program I don't know what does. Let's just brush this under the rug too, along with recruiting and our ACC record.

But hey! 2016 Final Four!!

I agree with your point, but we can't draw too many conclusions from this special case.

Following Boeheim was going to be such a burden. Mike was either going to be as good as Boeheim (unlikely) and not get enough credit for following a legend, or he was going to be worse, maybe even only a little worse, and get crucified for not being as good as his mentor.

A lot of schools were going to look better than Syracuse for him in that situation.

I hope this one goes very well for him. Never liked them before, but I'm now rooting for Washington in a lot of games.

I'm sure we'll get somebody decent but we're not a selector school and I doubt we get a power 5 established coach.

We can't get a P5 established coach?

In the SEC, Tennessee was the definition of mediocre last season. 16-16 record. Middle of the pack. Head coach: Rick Barnes.

Colorado was middle of the pack in the Pac 12. Their coach is someone named Tad Boyle, which sounds like a skin condition.

In the ACC, the most mediocre program was probably Wake, led by Danny Manning.

You are telling me that Barnes, Boyle and Manning (sounds like a law firm) wouldn't even think of coming to SU. Mind you, these aren't even the worst coaches in the P5. These are the middle of pack guys and Barnes is most definitely established.

You are short-selling the SU job like crazy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom