Biggest takeaway from presser | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Biggest takeaway from presser

It has to be top 10 classes? We've had top 10 classes, but it was never a yearly ritual.

You should go back and look at the rankings. We were bringing in 3 or 4 top 100 kids every year for years. Most have been 4 star players with a handful of 5 stars thrown in; very few 3 stars. Now look at the kids we are offering on that link at the top of the recruiting page.

It's so easy to criticize but I absolutely loved this presser. JB was authentic and real (he was supposed to read his paper but went ad-hoc with true sincerity), he was emotional and shared some private moments about Hop, tried his best to continue holding PS "writers" accountable for writing crap, and I really enjoyed the few zingers along the way (loved the Marrone comment).

My takeaway: JB wants to continue coaching, he's our guy, so I'm supporting him and the Team. GO ORANGE!

My takeaway: JB wants to continue coaching, he's our guy, so I'm supporting him and the Team. GO ORANGE!

Well let's see him goddamn show it. Stop bitching about your players to the media to keep them down, or keep them from turning pro. Embrace that this is the new paradigm and adapt to it. Get off your ass and let's see you in the gym a couple times a month during the season watching players, and not just wait for the July showcase events and then call it a day. Manage the process better. Stop being a jerk to the press. Start representing the university better and stop being such a "me first" guy. Stop making excuses about the sanctions and saying it wasn't your fault. You won. You got to keep your job and the NCAA didn't force you out. Now let's see some goddamn results these next couple years. I'm tired of this bubble bullshit. Build a team to compete for the ACC title. You're a goddamn Hall of Famer. Let's see that again, huh?

Well let's see him goddamn show it. Stop bitching about your players to the media to keep them down, or keep them from turning pro. Embrace that this is the new paradigm and adapt to it. Get off your ass and let's see you in the gym a couple times a month during the season watching players, and not just wait for the July showcase events and then call it a day. Manage the process better. Stop being a jerk to the press. Start representing the university better and stop being such a "me first" guy. Stop making excuses about the sanctions and saying it wasn't your fault. You won. You got to keep your job and the NCAA didn't force you out. Now let's see some goddamn results these next couple years. I'm tired of this bubble bullshit. Build a team to compete for the ACC title. You're a goddamn Hall of Famer. Let's see that again, huh?
Righteous

breath deep and let it out. gotta channel the monster cola rage.

300px-Monster_energy_drink_feature.jpg

All Conference teams aren't looking at potential. The NBA is.
The staff needs to be better at landing great college players with no NBA potential.

At first I wrote this as a joke, but after reading it I don't think it's funny because it's true.

My Takeway: There sure are quite a few delusional or outright crazy people on this board. So, you seriously think that JB should have used that press conference to say " WHOA is SU". We are horrible. All of our players suck. Our coaches can't recruit. And i have been sleeping through the last few seasons (except for the final four, then I meant it!)

Despite the fact that none of those are true, who in there right mind would ever say that?!? It is beyond the realm of insanity. It would be a clear cut kill shot to the program. Any program. Yet we have innumerable people on this board who think JB should have done that very thing. All because they think (and I use that term very loosely) that is the truth.

It isn't the truth, and to be honest, at this point you all come across as having an agenda. None of you will be happy until JB is gone. So, you might as well put your fandom on hiatus for a couple years. It would probably be best for your own personal health. It certainly would make reading this board much less of a chore, as the constant whining has made the board almost unbearable to read anymore, and this is coming from someone who has been reading iterations of this board for 15 years or more. It really has devolved to barely more than syracuse.com level.

The truth is, they should never have vocalized the succession plan. Ever. JB says he was against doing that very thing. I have no idea if that is true or not, but I do know it was a stupid idea. Whoever came up with it. You want to do that, fine. Do it, just don't announce it ahead of time. I doubt JB will actually be around in 5 years, but I can almost guarantee whenever the end arrives, a succession plan will not be made ahead of time.

It is clear that some kids don't want to play for JB since he plays only zone. That's fine. That has been the case for years. It hurts with some guys, and helps with others. Overall though, SU has done fine without them.

But it was also clear that some kids did not want to play for Hop. I doubt we will ever hear the whole story on most of this. JB is never going to throw Hop under the bus, but it is clear that is the case with some (probably more than you expect)
I think Hop has had a sense for a while that he wasn't going to get much leeway at SU, and I think it has showed in recruiting. It will be interesting to see what happens over the course of the next 2 years on the recruiting front. Time is likely to reveal what the reality is one way or another. I'm hope

Last edited:
" The staff needs to be better at landing great college players with no NBA potential."

but isn't that is what our staff is composed of ?

BAZZINNGA !

Why would recruits want to play for Hopkins?

I can play for Coach K or Calipari or Mike Hopkins. hmmm decisions decisions.

Because many recruits don't want to play in Boeheim's system. Hopkins apparently was offering a breath of fresh air to recruits.

My Takeway: There sure are quite a few delusional or outright crazy people on this board. So, you seriously think that JB should have used that press conference to say " WHOA is SU". We are horrible. All of our players suck. Our coaches can't recruit. And i have been sleeping through the last few seasons (except for the final four, then I meant it!)

Despite the fact that none of those are true, who in there right mind would ever say that?!? It is beyond the realm of insanity. It would be a clear cut kill shot to the program. Any program. Yet we have innumerable people on this board who think JB should have done that very thing. All because they think (and I use that term very loosely) that is the truth.

It isn't the truth, and to be honest, at this point you all come across as having an agenda. None of you will be happy until JB is gone. So, you might as well put your fandom on hiatus for a couple years. It would probably be best for your own personal health. It certainly would make reading this board much less of a chore, as the constant whining has made the board almost unbearable to read anymore, and this is coming from someone who has been reading iterations of this board for 15 years or more. It really has devolved to barely more than syracuse.com level.

The truth is, they should never have vocalized the succession plan. Ever. JB says he was against doing that very thing. I have no idea if that is true or not, but I do know it was a stupid idea. Whoever came up with it. You want to do that, fine. Do it, just don't announce it ahead of time. I doubt JB will actually be around in 5 years, but I can almost guarantee whenever the end arrives, a succession plan will not be made ahead of time.

It is clear that some kids don't want to play for JB since he plays only zone. That's fine. That has been the case for years. It hurts with some guys, and helps with others. Overall though, SU has done fine without them.

But it was also clear that some kids did not want to play for Hop. I doubt we will ever hear the whole story on most of this. JB is never going to throw Hop under the bus, but it is clear that is the case with some (probably more than you expect)
I think Hop has had a sense for a while that he wasn't going to get much leeway at SU, and I think it has showed in recruiting. It will be interesting to see what happens over the course of the next 2 years on the recruiting front. Time is likely to reveal what the reality is one way or another. I'm hope
This is a good post. Regarding the bolded paragraph above, I would argue that the reason that we have lost so many kids unexpectedly to the NBA is that for all of the players we lose because of the zone, we find kids who excel in the zone while developing their weaknesses. Jerami Grant, MCW, and now Lydon are perfect examples. Lanky, skinny guys that were under the radar, but perfect for the zone.

Because many recruits don't want to play in Boeheim's system. Hopkins apparently was offering a breath of fresh air to recruits.

I must've missed the part where hopkins had system. Offering a breath of fresh air lol

In addition to what JB said, we're playing as many as three former Big East opponents per year. That's three more teams familiar with our defense and how to attack it. (Wisconsin has played us enough times over the last several years to now be in that category as well.)

Even when we were finishing at or around .500 in the Big East, we were getting double-digit victories OOC. That's not going to happen as often if we continue these BE rivalries.

I don't believe familiarity is why 14-19 St. John's beat us by 33.

You obviously missed or ignored JB's point about how the college basketball has changed. And how much more competitive it is and how much less likey it is that school's are going to have gaudy records like 26-4.

According to JB, those days are over.

From this it sounds like you are stuck in an earlier decade in terms of your expectations.

And after attempting to lecture JB on how to behave, you launch this classic line; "I'm tired of this bubble bullshxt".

I can't decide whether "entitled" or "petulant" describes that sentence best.

What's your plan to adjust to the new world of college basketball in which there is greater parity and much fewer dominant teams?

I don't believe familiarity is why 14-19 St. John's beat us by 33.
They were more familiar with our defense than some of our own players (White, Thompson, Battle, Gillon).

BTW, 14-19 St. John's also beat a Sweet 16 team in Butler.

And how much more competitive it is and how much less likey it is that school's are going to have gaudy records like 26-4.

According to JB, those days are over. From this it sounds like you are stuck in an earlier decade in terms of your expectations.

Dude, we were 30-5 and 28-6 so far this decade, just a few years ago.

Dude, we were 30-5 and 28-6 so far this decade, just a few years ago.

Did you listen to the Boeheim and Wildhack press conference?

JB said those days of gaudy records like that are over for the great majority of teams. There's too much parity to allow that to happen.

Once again, you and he disagree, I guess. Who should we believe then? You or JB?

Of course, you don't know that if you haven't listened.

Did you listen to the Boeheim and Wildhack press conference?

JB said those days of gaudy records like that are over for the great majority of teams. There's too much parity to allow that to happen.

Once again, you and he disagree, I guess. Who should we believe then? You or JB?

Of course, you don't know that if you haven't listened.

That was only 3 years ago that we went 28-6.

This year, many P-5 teams had that kind of record, in what was admittedly a down year for college basketball. Kansas 28-4, Arizona 30-4, Kentucky (not even one of their better teams recently) 29-5, UCLA 29-4, Oregon 29-5.

Yes, the teams at the top of the ACC beat up on each other this year, but if JB is going to use that as an excuse that we can't match our record from just a few years ago, well I'm sorry but that's making excuses.

That was only 3 years ago that we went 28-6.

This year, many P-5 teams had that kind of record, in what was admittedly a down year for college basketball. Kansas 28-4, Arizona 30-4, Kentucky (not even one of their better teams recently) 29-5, UCLA 29-4, Oregon 29-5.

Yes, the teams at the top of the ACC beat up on each other this year, but if JB is going to use that as an excuse that we can't match our record from just a few years ago, well I'm sorry but that's making excuses.

Did you listen to JB's rather long explanation of how college basketball has changed?

What parts of that did you not agree with?

Do you really believe that he made that observation as an excuse instead of a statement of what he believes to be true?

Did you listen to JB's rather long explanation of how college basketball has changed?

What parts of that did you not agree with?

Do you really believe that he made that observation as an excuse instead of a statement of what he believes to be true?

I didn't listen to his interview, no.
I don't need to listen to his interview to know that he's incorrect. I just listed 5 teams THIS YEAR who have put up the kinds of records we're talking about, that are supposedly impossible now.

But I guess that's not enough. Looking up teams' actual records couldn't possibly contradict the infallible JB.

Hey guess what? Last year Kansas was 33-5, Michigan State was 29-6 and Oregon was 31-7.

Two years ago: Kentucky 34-0, Wisconsin 31-3, Arizona 31-3, Virginia 29-3, Duke 29-4.

But college basketball is completely different now, than it was ... just when exactly? Because it seems to me that P-5 teams are still putting up some pretty gaudy records. We just haven't been one of them.

Try thinking for yourself sometime.

I have been a huge JB fan over the years, but these last few years, he has turned into that "hey get offa my lawn" guy. I'm sick of a half-assed effort. You wanted the job, now ACT like it.
I didn't listen to his interview, no.
I don't need to listen to his interview to know that he's incorrect. I just listed 5 teams THIS YEAR who have put up the kinds of records we're talking about, that are supposedly impossible now.

But I guess that's not enough. Looking up teams' actual records couldn't possibly contradict the infallible JB.

Hey guess what? Last year Kansas was 33-5, Michigan State was 29-6 and Oregon was 31-7.

Two years ago: Kentucky 34-0, Wisconsin 31-3, Arizona 31-3, Virginia 29-3, Duke 29-4.

But college basketball is completely different now, than it was ... just when exactly? Because it seems to me that P-5 teams are still putting up some pretty gaudy records. We just haven't been one of them.

Try thinking for yourself sometime.

Perfect!

"I didn't listen to the interview but I know he's incorrect."

Perfect.

Or stated another way, I don't know what he said. I don't know what examples he used? But whatever it was, he was and is wrong.

PS - In your case, you might try not thinking for yourself. And maybe doing the research before you spout off.

We've won at least 27 games every year the first 4 years of the decade. If JB feels that way maybe he needs to admit he's never going to beat Roy or Pitino ever again.

Perfect!

"I didn't listen to the interview but I know he's incorrect."

Perfect.

Or stated another way, I don't know what he said. I don't know what examples he used? But whatever it was, he was and is wrong.

Your premise is that college basketball is so much more competitive now and so much more "equal' in terms of talent distribution that gaudy records are a thing of the past. Is that correct? That's what you wrote, so I assume it's what you meant.

And then I gave you examples of gaudy records we have achieved this decade, which is only 7 years old. We have won 30 games twice and also went 28-6 in those years, the last time was 3 seasons ago.

Then, I gave you a list of about 5 teams THIS YEAR who achieved those same gaudy records that are no longer possible. Then I gave you a list of another 5 or 6 from the year before, and another 5 or 6 from the year before that.

And yet because I didn't listen to Boeheim's interview, I must be wrong. You told me what he said. I showed you the records, and you tell me I'm wrong because the records contradict JB.

You voted for Trump, right? Because apparently facts are irrelevant to your point.

Your premise is that college basketball is so much more competitive now and so much more "equal' in terms of talent distribution that gaudy records are a thing of the past. Is that correct? That's what you wrote, so I assume it's what you meant.

And then I gave you examples of gaudy records we have achieved this decade, which is only 7 years old. We have won 30 games twice and also went 28-6 in those years, the last time was 3 seasons ago.

Then, I gave you a list of about 5 teams THIS YEAR who achieved those same gaudy records that are no longer possible. Then I gave you a list of another 5 or 6 from the year before, and another 5 or 6 from the year before that.

And yet because I didn't listen to Boeheim's interview, I must be wrong. You told me what he said. I showed you the records, and you tell me I'm wrong because the records contradict JB.

You voted for Trump, right? Because apparently facts are irrelevant to your point.

Don't even bother.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom