Bills 2024 Thread - Misery loves company | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Bills 2024 Thread - Misery loves company

Probably not, more likely next year when Buffalo will have a good amount of cap space. Suspect a couple more FA signings, a safety or backup Wr would be nice

I think there could still be some interesting trade activity, but yeah, I doubt there will be any free agency splashes on our part. Just not enough cap room.

General question- what does restructuring really entail? I am sure there are levels to it, but outside of "good for the team" what is the incentive for the player? JeremyCuse any info for me?

Restructuring generally means the team is taking either the base salary or roster bonus owed to a player and turning it into a signing bonus.

The benefit for the team is they can spread signing bonuses out up to 5 years of a player's contract, thus lowering the cap hit of the player for the upcoming season. The benefit for the player is they receive a signing bonus check immediately rather than wait for the roster bonus due or have to earn the base salary

In Knox/Von's case, what they're technically saying is they reworked their contract aka took a paycut to help the team.

Restructuring generally means the team is taking either the base salary or roster bonus owed to a player and turning it into a signing bonus.

The benefit for the team is they can spread signing bonuses out up to 5 years of a player's contract, thus lowering the cap hit of the player for the upcoming season. The benefit for the player is they receive a signing bonus check immediately rather than wait for the roster bonus due or have to earn the base salary

In Knox/Von's case, what they're technically saying is they reworked their contract aka took a paycut to help the team.

Maybe I was wrong but I thought he was talking about a player restructuring to take less versus restructuring like Josh Allen or Diggs where the money is being spread out as you noted. I could certainly be wrong though and appreciate the explanation!

Maybe I was wrong but I thought he was talking about a player restructuring to take less versus restructuring like Josh Allen or Diggs where the money is being spread out as you noted. I could certainly be wrong though and appreciate the explanation!

Yeah no problem I just figured it was important to clarify. Majority of the time the team restructures without needing the player's approval, but there are sometimes cases where they do like with Knox and Von.

Really liked him in the backup role last year. I'll assume it's a fairly cheap contract.

Ya I can't imagine its much (in the scheme of NFL contracts) but I thought he played very well last year as the backup and really showed out in a few games. Bringing him back was a no brainer and gives some quality depth to a RB room that has none right now.

Jets signed Tyron Smith, good addition but can they keep him on the field?

hey if you can get someone to take him for a pretty high draft pick do it.