Bills Jags Game Thread | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Bills Jags Game Thread

Took advantage of Bills incompetence. That should have been a 7-0 lead at halftime but the humans that run the team did the kind of dumb things that make everyday people call football coaches meatheads.
The coaches called for a run, Taylor checked out and decided he'd rather throw it from the 1 yard line.

I don't know about Tackle.. I think they are hoping Glenn and Dawkins can be bookends, unless they trade Cordy.

Everything else I agree 100% with.
Can Cordy make it through a season? Or even half of one? It’s been a few years since he’s been healthy I feel like

Took advantage of Bills incompetence. That should have been a 7-0 lead at halftime but the humans that run the team did the kind of dumb things that make everyday people call football coaches meatheads.

That and White & Anderson dropped ints and they couldn't jump on a fumble. Obv. can't ask more of the Bills defense but "minimized mistakes" = platitude jargon.

Can Cordy make it through a season? Or even half of one? It’s been a few years since he’s been healthy I feel like
A lot of Bills fans were up in arms when word came out we were looking to move Cordy before the deadline. Looks like McBeane know what they're doing. I feel very confident in the direction of this team with McDermott, Beane and Frazier as long as we bring in a new OC. Coaching and Management, for once, look like a strong point for the Buffalo Bills.

A lot of Bills fans were up in arms when word came out we were looking to move Cordy before the deadline. Looks like McBeane know what they're doing. I feel very confident in the direction of this team with McDermott, Beane and Frazier as long as we bring in a new OC. Coaching and Management, for once, look like a strong point for the Buffalo Bills.

New OC, NEW Qb, legit 2nd RB, healthy receivers, I like they have Streater under contract. Zay needs to take a big step forward. Benjamin needs to get healthy as he was really playing on one leg for much of the season.

They need to really rebuild the offense.

That and White & Anderson dropped ints and they couldn't jump on a fumble. Obv. can't ask more of the Bills defense but "minimized mistakes" = platitude jargon.

Did the Jags turn the ball over? Did they give the Bills a short field? Did they give up any long TD's on busts?

Answer was no to all three and those are the three things that beat them all year.

New OC, NEW Qb, legit 2nd RB, healthy receivers, I like they have Streater under contract. Zay needs to take a big step forward. Benjamin needs to get healthy as he was really playing on one leg for much of the season.

I think anyone who wants us to go around signing/drafting WRs this year will be disappointed. We go into next year with a healthy Kelvin Benjamin and Zay Jones entering his 2nd year in which WR's tend to start making jumps (I thought he flashed a bit in the Playoff Game). Streater is under contract and I'd be shocked if we didn't bring back Deonta Thompson. Throw in two decent Tight Ends in Clay/O'Leary, LeSean McCoy and presumably an upgraded RB2 and that is plenty for a QB not named Tyrod to work with.

This draft will probably be very defense heavy. If we keep all 5 Top 3 Rd picks, I could see 3-4 of them being defensive players to rebuild the Front 7 with the Offensive selections being a running back and/or O-Lineman depending on Cordy's status with the team.

I think anyone who wants us to go around signing/drafting WRs this year will be disappointed. We go into next year with a healthy Kelvin Benjamin and Zay Jones entering his 2nd year in which WR's tend to start making jumps (I thought he flashed a bit in the Playoff Game). Streater is under contract and I'd be shocked if we didn't bring back Deonta Thompson. Throw in two decent Tight Ends in Clay/O'Leary, LeSean McCoy and presumably an upgraded RB2 and that is plenty for a QB not named Tyrod to work with.

This draft will probably be very defense heavy. If we keep all 5 Top 3 Rd picks, I could see 3-4 of them being defensive players to rebuild the Front 7 with the Offensive selections being a running back and/or O-Lineman depending on Cordy's status with the team.

I think the Bills have to bring in at least one if not two new WRs to the fold. I like Thompson (yesterdays game not withstanding) but Buffalo definitely needs a deep threat. We also need another outside WR to have Zay Jones in the slot where he belongs. Benajmin has an injury history like Watkins so I don't think we can put all of our egss in his basket.

Personally I would like to see the Bills re-sign Matthews who have to take a much smaller contract after this struggles this past year. He had a down year but he was hurt from the word go with the Bills and for most of the season was the only semblance of a NFL caliber WR so he was drawing a ton of attention.
If the Bills were to re-sign Matthews that would give them 1. Benjamin 2. Matthews, 3. Zay Jones 4. Thompson/Streeter. Then the Bills could grab a WR with on of there two second round picks or even of the 1st rounders if someone they like slips down the board.

I think the Bills have to bring in at least one if not two new WRs to the fold. I like Thompson (yesterdays game not withstanding) but Buffalo definitely needs a deep threat. We also need another outside WR to have Zay Jones in the slot where he belongs. Benajmin has an injury history like Watkins so I don't think we can put all of our egss in his basket.

Personally I would like to see the Bills re-sign Matthews who have to take a much smaller contract after this struggles this past year. He had a down year but he was hurt from the word go with the Bills and for most of the season was the only semblance of a NFL caliber WR so he was drawing a ton of attention.
If the Bills were to re-sign Matthews that would give them 1. Benjamin 2. Matthews, 3. Zay Jones 4. Thompson/Streeter. Then the Bills could grab a WR with on of there two second round picks or even of the 1st rounders if someone they like slips down the board.
Wasn't it an issue that Matthews and Jones are both slot receivers though?

Did the Jags turn the ball over? Did they give the Bills a short field? Did they give up any long TD's on busts?

Answer was no to all three and those are the three things that beat them all year.

Lol. Do you realize how easily there could have been multiple turnovers by Bortles?

The Bills played hard and came close, but as the saying goes, NO CIGAR.

Last edited:
Wasn't it an issue that Matthews and Jones are both slot receivers though?

I believe Matthews can play both positions but in today's world of a passing offenses Buffalo should be moving toward more 4 wr sets which would give them Zay and Matthews in the slot and Benjamin and a yet to be determined guy on the outside. I suspect Matthews is probably a long shot to be re-signed but I think it would give the Bills a heck of a WR core with Zay and Matthews in the slot Benjamin outside and Thompsona and a yet to be named rookie in the mix as well.

Lol. Do you realize how easily there could have been multiple turnovers by Bortles?

That can be said for a lot of games. Didn't happen and that drove the way the game was managed.

That can be said for a lot of games. Didn't happen and that drove the way the game was managed.
I get your point, but that game was about as evenly matched as you can have, and in a bad way. The jags are really bad, bailed out by elite defensive playmakers.

I believe Matthews can play both positions but in today's world of a passing offenses Buffalo should be moving toward more 4 wr sets which would give them Zay and Matthews in the slot and Benjamin and a yet to be determined guy on the outside. I suspect Matthews is probably a long shot to be re-signed but I think it would give the Bills a heck of a WR core with Zay and Matthews in the slot Benjamin outside and Thompsona and a yet to be named rookie in the mix as well.
I really don't think we need to draft a WR if we resign Matthews and Thompson, with Streater still under contract. Kirk Cousins, Alex Smith or Case Keenum would put up 250 YDS/2.5 TD's/1 INT per game with KB/ZJ/JM/DT/Clay/O'Leary/McCoy...hell, they probably could do that with just the playmakers we had out there on Sunday. Tyrod Taylor is epically bad at reading defenses and leaves 100 yards and a TD on the field every game.

I really don't think we need to draft a WR if we resign Matthews and Thompson, with Streater still under contract. Kirk Cousins, Alex Smith or Case Keenum would put up 250 YDS/2.5 TD's/1 INT per game with KB/ZJ/JM/DT/Clay/O'Leary/McCoy...hell, they probably could do that with just the playmakers we had out there on Sunday. Tyrod Taylor is epically bad at reading defenses and leaves 100 yards and a TD on the field every game.

I dont necessarily disagree but with Benjamin's injury history and having one year left on his deal and Zay still being a question mark I think you have to shore up the passing game especially if they let Matthews walk. If they don't trade up they have 5 picks in the first 3 rounds, I think grabbing a WR would be almost a must or you could be looking at having Zay and maybe Thompson as your only two WR after next season and being in the same position we were last year in that we had to take a WR ie Zay within the first couple of rounds. Get a young WR the team likes in the fold especially if a top guy falls in the 1st round with all the QB jockeying going on.

I dont necessarily disagree but with Benjamin's injury history and having one year left on his deal and Zay still being a question mark I think you have to shore up the passing game especially if they let Matthews walk. If they don't trade up they have 5 picks in the first 3 rounds, I think grabbing a WR would be almost a must or you could be looking at having Zay and maybe Thompson as your only two WR after next season and being in the same position we were last year in that we had to take a WR ie Zay within the first couple of rounds. Get a young WR the team likes in the fold especially if a top guy falls in the 1st round with all the QB jockeying going on.
Im definitely not opposed to taking a top flight WR if one falls but I don't want to take one for the sake of taking one when I think this offseason should be spent on finding a QB, rebuilding the Front 7 and getting McCoy a legit RB2.

Defense would then be set for a long time and we could look at offense for our 2018 Draft. Imagine this team with a legit Front 7 to go with our secondary and an actual QB... I'd give us a punchers chance at taking down New England with an Alex Smith or Kirk Cousins to go with that hypothetical defense. Then get a young QB, WR and some OL in the next draft/offseason.

Im definitely not opposed to taking a top flight WR if one falls but I don't want to take one for the sake of taking one when I think this offseason should be spent on finding a QB, rebuilding the Front 7 and getting McCoy a legit RB2.

Defense would then be set for a long time and we could look at offense for our 2018 Draft. Imagine this team with a legit Front 7 to go with our secondary and an actual QB... I'd give us a punchers chance at taking down New England with an Alex Smith or Kirk Cousins to go with that hypothetical defense. Then get a young QB, WR and some OL in the next draft/offseason.

I agree if we have a QB we like and need to trade up to get him we absolutely should do that. My point is if we decide to stay put and or trade back one of those 1st round picks ( really good idea if we sing Cousins) and a top WR is there I think we should grab him. We can always get a decent RB in the the 4th or 5th round and I think the team should really look into re-signing Cadet who played great prior to the injury. Assuming we don't trade Id like to see Buffalo grab a DL, LB, CB/S, WR and trade back one of the 1st or 2nd round picks for more picks. Think it would be advantageous to trade back that first second round pick and maybe pick up a third or an additional 4th as we don't have any picks after round 5 I believe.

I get your point, but that game was about as evenly matched as you can have, and in a bad way. The jags are really bad, bailed out by elite defensive playmakers.
Actually they were bailed out by a really poor Tyrod Taylor if you are being honest. The plays were there for the Bills, they just didn’t take them.

Actually they were bailed out by a really poor Tyrod Taylor if you are being honest. The plays were there for the Bills, they just didn’t take them.
While I think the "game changing" play was O'Leary's drop at the Jax 40 mid-3rd quarter tied 3-3... you are spot on. It shouldn't have come down to us playing mistake free football. Tyrod Taylor bungled a TD to O'Leary running wide open down the seam, bungled 2 throws to KB that were uncatchable in the end zone and then missed Thompson running wide open on an overthrow down the sideline late. This doesn't even account for the 7-8 throws he didn't make because he can't read defenses or go through progressions.

My guess is Marquise Lee will be available.

I agree. The defense is very solid. It's the offense that needs work -- not that the Jags were much better (it only takes a couple plays to separate yourself in the NFL).

I'll throw this out there: what would make Zay better is to have another stretch-the-field guy opposite him. Yes it's costly. But I'm pretty sure the first thing they'll want after bringing in a gunslinger QB is some guys that can get open. Clay's very good as a TE, and the other guy's serviceable (O'-something). So I like your take ... a second RB, another threat receiver and a QB that can get the job done. Great job by McDermott.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom