BJ | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

BJ

It wasnt a mistake. He fouled after trying to get a rebound. It was a hustle play anf BJ was in the right position. He just got out muscled.

Ah, I think you are pretty correct. But didnt the guy turn up the court though? And BJ fouled him pretty close to mid court, right?

I think IIRC bj went for the steal instead of getting back on D. But I could be mistaken.

Bulls#it. "Lost in one minute?" then the other players must be purely incompetent ,right? We aren't talking about simply yelling here either. That wasn't simply yelling . The great Jim Boeheim was a screaming out of control jerk to his player inanition television with a close up to get it all. Jimmy has been protected by the school since he got here. The school lacks integrity and sells out for the $. Its that simple the administration will look away every time.AS long as their big concern is the bottom line under the standard rebuttal of the university being a small private institution crap like this will continue to happen with Syracuse athletic programs.Wait until it hits football or lacrosse and see what happens. The chancellor is certainly not in charge there. Nor are the Board of Trustees. Its not like Boeheim would leave a pauper. Its conceivable that ESPN might want him on the sideline talking about a game in progress and they would pay big$ for that to happen. Its time for a young man to put his mark on the program. Of course that is Mike Hopkins. I seriously doubt that the program crashes with Mike in the drivers seat. Recruiting will continue with the coaches around him

Izzo, Cal, K, Buzz, Calhoun to name just a few who consistently yell at their players, and frequently looked worse than JB did yesterday. Also, what the TV cameras seldom show is JB speaking quietly and rationally to the player who was pulled and is now sitting next to him on the bench - a teaching moment. But of course that doesn't make for good tv.
JB's yelling was less over the top than your comments and his was spur of the moment where you had time to think about yours before hitting the 'post' button.

I simply do not understand the love fest with BJ. His effort on both ends of the court is average at best. How will BJ have a breakout season next year if he's still hear? There won't be any playing time for him. I do not like to question our coaching, but I don't see how BJ fits our scheme. Rebounding was always going to be an issue with his frame and BJ does not like to drive to the basket.

On the other hand, Buss at least brings energy and almost all of his mistakes are aggressive mistakes. BJ could use his confidence. I hope Buss sticks around next year. I like his upside, especially with Joseph's lack of development to this point.

Izzo, Cal, K, Buzz, Calhoun to name just a few who consistently yell at their players, and frequently looked worse than JB did yesterday. Also, what the TV cameras seldom show is JB speaking quietly and rationally to the player who was pulled and is now sitting next to him on the bench - a teaching moment. But of course that doesn't make for good tv.
JB's yelling was less over the top than your comments and his was spur of the moment where you had time to think about yours before hitting the 'post' button.
Paging Frank Martin. Screaming With death stare.

Hello, everyone. JB said there's a scholarship available for Bryant in the coming months.

JB said that months ago. McCullough also had a solid knee months ago. Things change. Don't bank on something that was said that long ago as still relevant now. The only thing we know, is that at the moment JB said those words, he felt it was true. To think anything else is ludicrous.

Ah, I think you are pretty correct. But didnt the guy turn up the court though? And BJ fouled him pretty close to mid court, right?

I think IIRC bj went for the steal instead of getting back on D. But I could be mistaken.
He went after him for the mid court foul. I think he wanted him to get back and try to defend, rather than give up an easy foul. Just my perception

orangecuse said:
Not even more than our beloved Mookie? :)
Was never a big fan. I have a pretty short list of cuse guys that I felt that way about, he was one.

JB said that months ago. McCullough also had a solid knee months ago. Things change. Don't bank on something that was said that long ago as still relevant now. The only thing we know, is that at the moment JB said those words, he felt it was true. To think anything else is ludicrous.

He said it on Thursday too

Bulls#it. "Lost in one minute?" then the other players must be purely incompetent ,right? We aren't talking about simply yelling here either. That wasn't simply yelling . The great Jim Boeheim was a screaming out of control jerk to his player inanition television with a close up to get it all. Jimmy has been protected by the school since he got here. The school lacks integrity and sells out for the $. Its that simple the administration will look away every time.AS long as their big concern is the bottom line under the standard rebuttal of the university being a small private institution crap like this will continue to happen with Syracuse athletic programs.Wait until it hits football or lacrosse and see what happens. The chancellor is certainly not in charge there. Nor are the Board of Trustees. Its not like Boeheim would leave a pauper. Its conceivable that ESPN might want him on the sideline talking about a game in progress and they would pay big$ for that to happen. Its time for a young man to put his mark on the program. Of course that is Mike Hopkins. I seriously doubt that the program crashes with Mike in the drivers seat. Recruiting will continue with the coaches around him
Are you serious with this post?? He was screaming out of control lol. You obvious never played sports or were severely coddled by your coach if you think that was yelling. What I saw was a coach trying to get BJ fired up to play better. He then gave him instruction. That was such a weak exchange on the meter of an over the top coach.

Are you serious with this post?? He was screaming out of control lol. You obvious never played sports or were severely coddled by your coach if you think that was yelling. FYI, I have played sports. And i've coached kids.Sure I felt the urge to scream but I never did. It just flat out isn't right. Boeheim's ego driven personality allows for anything he thinks is right for HIM. Allowing improprieties in academic? Sure as long as you don't get caught. Oops he got caught twice . In this case its two strikes sand you're out. Is the consensus to defend this man based on his winning basketball games? I got news we can still win games totally clean and maybe better. Mike Hopkins will come in clean and probably offers some original thinking based on Boeheim's coaching. The big problem is the thinking that if Jimmy leaves, the winning will cease which is pure BS.

JB was fine today. He was pleading with BJ to play smarter and harder. If you can't take getting yelled at, then you shouldn't be playing. If a coach stops getting on you, he has given up on you. There's way too many people in today's world who's afraid of kids self-esteem getting hurt. We're creating a bunch of spoiled, lazy kids who don't know what it takes to be really good at something. We need more JB's not less. Show me a great coach who doesn't get after his players and I'll show you a loser.

Great post. I'm in my 30's and cannot stand the whole "everyone's a winner" mentality. The fact that people need to coddled does not do them any favors. It is simply a fake way to deal with someone else's inferior skill set, etc.

Once someone stops paying attention to you, they've moved on. Constructive criticism is a great thing.

JB's way is old school. I personally love it and he is 40 years older than me.

JB was fine today. He was pleading with BJ to play smarter and harder. If you can't take getting yelled at, then you shouldn't be playing. If a coach stops getting on you, he has given up on you. There's way too many people in today's world who's afraid of kids self-esteem getting hurt. We're creating a bunch of spoiled, lazy kids who don't know what it takes to be really good at something. We need more JB's not less. Show me a great coach who doesn't get after his players and I'll show you a loser.

there is an enormous difference between coaching a kid (which includes as much yelling as you want) and chastising a kid in the media.

That has been my issue with Boeheim.

I'm sorry that JB was rude to you a long time ago and you hold a grudge. JB isn't bigger than the school. JB doesn't think he is bigger than the school. In other words, as usual, you really don't know what you are talking about
I'm not going to follow the crowd into the abyss. Boeheim wasn't rude to me ever.As a matter of fact he and Gross came to LA and Jim answered questions. He was very polite and answered anything I asked with straightforward responses. Of course it was a fund raiser so he was on his best behavior. Stevie Thompson was there as well I was surprised the amount of weight Steve added to his frame. Gross also brought along the track and field coach whose name was Fox I believe. Gross was talking big about wanting to make all the athletic department programs nationally ranked. He was at the time newly appointed as the AD. There was an open bar and one of the men there mentioned Gross and was reprimanded by another guy that USC.

I didn't say anything about infractions so I don't know what that has to do with my response to you. I was speaking about your opinion of him yelling. You have a very loose definition of what screaming is. In the first half when BJ messed up he tried to get him fired up to get his head into the game and play better. I actually saw this as kind of a good encouraging thing to BJ. He didn't pull him right away for his mistake but kept him in the game. Are we really getting this soft as a society where what JB did to BJ is viewed this negative. I just didn't see the interaction between coach and player in this situation to be bad at all. Iv seen other coaches actually scream at a player and thought wow that's a bit much, this situation I saw a coach who put a player in and wanted him to give more effort and get into the game and produce positively. I saw it as encouragement and him tapping him on the chest was a you can do better than this.

You don't have to like Jim Boeheim. You can have your opinion on him and that's fine. I'm not going to discuss my feelings on anything regarding the infractions because I don't know anything about them or how boeheim is behind closed doors. I will say people in here have said in practice Hopkins is very animated as well. I don't know many coaches who aren't animated.

He went after him for the mid court foul. I think he wanted him to get back and try to defend, rather than give up an easy foul. Just my perception

Actually, I think he was yelling at him for something before that. The mid-court foul was actually a pretty good basketball play. He had no chance to get back in time to defend that kid. It was a closeout before that I think.

You obvious never played sports or wasn't that severely cuddled!!

Wouldn't you have like to been a fly on the wall!!;)

I really respect you even more for posting on here than I ever have in the past. I have no idea how long you've read this board, but I wanted you to know that other student athletes have taken it far worse, and some have come around to receive a lot of love from the fickle fans. I sure as heck would love to be a fly on the wall during your talks with BJ, but I have the respect and common sense never to ask about such personal matters. I've witnessed the resolve you have for hanging around these hooligans, and I have the faith you have instilled the same in your son. Sometimes things just take time to work themselves out, and are well worth the wait. As fans we have become spoiled to an extent, and I expect good and great things from BJ going forward. I'm not even talking about next season, I am talking game to game.

I don't mind patting myself on the back arguing strongly in favor of you or anyone who abides by the rules staying here, and the class you've shown in the face of this makes me feel like I've bet on the right horse. BJ is young, has great athleticism, and as a lot going for him. Although elsewhere I've said I think Thomas Bryant would be more important in turning the corner than anyone in next years' incoming class, I am also proud to say I'd rather not have it come at the expense of losing BJ, Buss, Chris, or DuJaun. These young men have already committed to the Orange, and while Mr Bryant may have understandable reasons for not having yet done so, the fact of the matter is that he still hasn't. I'm rooting for all of these young men to excel AS ORANGE, and hope to see you posting for a long time as well, even if it makes a certain mod or two like me even less for saying so.

As to everyone in general, for personal reasons it was a rare time I missed much of the game. I will try to rewatch the entire game to look for the moments in question, the same as I did when at least one person called Silent G a "cancer"(and others agreed, or didnt bother to disagree), a short time before the board and team heralded him as part of "the big 3". Take heart OG, these folks can be fickle, and from what I've seen from you I have faith your son has direction, even if it hasn't materialized as much as we've hoped. Go BJ, go JB, go OG, go Silent G, go Orange!

A couple of weeks ago in a game thread BJ's dad said something to the effect of "BJ was averaging 9 points and 8 rebounds per game before he was benched for reasons I cant imagine", which kind of makes me think there is frustration on their end beyond what is normal for this position. Seeing BJ transfer to make room for Bryant wouldn't shock me.

I played sports, but haven't received my share of cuddling lately. I might do well to learn from a guy like Tee who from what I read seemed to be quite a ladies' man during his day! ;)
That's what I'd have you believe! But I was a late bloomer. Slick enough but so money, I just didn't know it.
9918214-large.jpg

Hey! I get to use this: :vomit:

I saw a tribute to Dean Smith yesterday. It emphasized what a terrific human being he was. It also showed him in practice, yelling at one of his players to shut up because he does the talking in practice, not them.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom