Bob Chesney | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Bob Chesney

Why is that so bad if someone has a ton of success here and leaves? They would be leaving things better than they found them and we’d enjoy the wins.
I agree with you. I’m just saying maybe he could stay in cuse because it’s a perfect fit along with his success. I would never get mad at someone for leaving after success ever. Great problem to have

Regardless of who we hire, if we expect them to have a ton of success and stay, we better expect the school/donors to back up the Brinks truck, in more ways than one. If they can't compete for natty's here, and someone who offers that opportunity and doubles their salary comes calling, why would they stay?

Jim Boeheim was the exception to the rule in that regard salary wise, and could realistically compete for natty's here anyway.

Our goal as a program should be to never have people leave for a lateral move, to never lose a head coach in conference, and to never lose a head coach to a program that's not a perennial top-20ish program... Because the thought is anyone good enough to get offers from top-25 to top-40 programs should be good enough to do that here, and we should be willing to pay them enough to keep them.

Right now we're a long ways from that, but it seems like a reasonable best-case outcome.

I have this concern with literally anyone we hire. I really think this is hard for anyone coming to Syracuse. We don’t have a massive check book.

If we hired orgeron imagine the island of misfit toys coordinators we’d have.
I bet those toys could recruit

Why is that so bad if someone has a ton of success here and leaves? They would be leaving things better than they found them and we’d enjoy the wins.
It’s perfectly fine. If they are leaving it’s means they are successful and there is a winning template to follow, something we’ve not figured out in 20 years.

I am so surprised so many people want this guy to be the hire. The ACC and power 4 dynamics with NIL and the transfer portal are worlds apart from the patriot league. Maybe he would be fantastic but winning at Holy Cross is worlds different then winning in the ACC., especially with a coach that has zero experience in big time college football. Its not like he could even bring a couple players with him from Holy Cross. Could he be successful? Maybe but he would have to hire one heck of a group of assistant coaches who can recruit at this level, and have experience coaching at this level.

I just think this guy would be so thrilled for the opportunity and would work really hard to not mess up his opportunity. I’m worried another “name” coach would split after a few good seasons. I could see Chesney making cuse his home forever
THIS

I am so surprised so many people want this guy to be the hire. The ACC and power 4 dynamics with NIL and the transfer portal are worlds apart from the patriot league. Maybe he would be fantastic but winning at Holy Cross is worlds different then winning in the ACC., especially with a coach that has zero experience in big time college football. Its not like he could even bring a couple players with him from Holy Cross. Could he be successful? Maybe but he would have to hire one heck of a group of assistant coaches who can recruit at this level, and have experience coaching at this level.
Everyone who is anyone, was once no one.

I just think this guy would be so thrilled for the opportunity and would work really hard to not mess up his opportunity. I’m worried another “name” coach would split after a few good seasons. I could see Chesney making cuse his home forever
If he does well here he - and anyone else we hire - will move on. If anyone is comfortable staying here with the disparity in cash and resources elsewhere.....

I like him and think he would do very well here, and move on. I also think if we don't hire him he will have BC beating us within 3 years.

Who here has actually seen HC play a few times with Chesney as coach?
I have seen multiple games with him as HC. I have family at HC and know the program fairly well. He's a dynamic personality who seems to be literally walking 20k steps a game working the refs, working his assts, etc. Very infectious personality.

He's completely turned around the culture of HC football. Completely. Some of it is Kit Hughes who is the AD at HC who is fantastic as well. But most of it is Bob. he's destined for a bigger situation.

I'm not an X and O guy at all. He doesn't seem to be gimmicky with the play calling. he comes from a family of coaches.

I went to the BC game and they were the much more disciplined team. Tremendous effort that day. I spoke to his former players who came to watch and they all would run through a brick wall for the man. These were Salve guys watching him coach at Alumni.

One thing to keep in mind timing wise is HC did NOT get the at large bid even though they won the Patriot (lafayette got the tie breaker). his season is over and I would assume he's en route to Syracuse to interview with Wildhack. He's open for business asap.

He's got a 5 year deal so who knows what his buy out is. I'm sure managable and maybe nil if the deal has outs for ACC job or something

The ACC and power 4 dynamics with NIL and the transfer portal are worlds apart from the patriot league.
The portal and NILs are so new and evolving that no one is well versed in it yet. A fresh approach just might work.

I was a little concerned that he hasn't coached/game planned with elite BCS athletes, but Holy Cross has played against them enough that he should have a handle.

While true, he has rebuilt a program at every single level so far and been successful

Holy Cross was god awful when he started there and they have been transformed big time.

He’s a north east guy with connections to coaches. He’s getting the most out of his guys from Holy Cross that they almost beat Boston College this season.

Which means Holy Cross this season, likely gives us a run for our money.

It’s also important to note he slaughtered Colgate almost as bad as we did.

He’s a young up and coming coach, if we don’t grab him, someone else will

The portal and NILs are so new and evolving that no one is well versed in it yet. A fresh approach just might work.

I was a little concerned that he hasn't coached/game planned with elite BCS athletes, but Holy Cross has played against them enough that he should have a handle.

The guy from Holy Cross; not even a MAC school. Wow. This is a real roll of the dice, if he's the guy.

While true, he has rebuilt a program at every single level so far and been successful

Holy Cross was god awful when he started there and they have been transformed big time.

He’s a north east guy with connections to coaches. He’s getting the most out of his guys from Holy Cross that they almost beat Boston College this season.

he's going to move up to a bigger level of coaching. Thats an absolute.

It may be incremental to say Harvard when Murphy retires (i've heard this rumor too). But knowing these coaches their eye is on bigger prizes perpetually.

I just see SU as a program that succeeds when it hires unorthodox types like Macpherson and Pasqualoni. Mac was viewed by Jake when Jake coached Dartmouth and Mac was at Umass. He saw something there. Umass wasn't Penn St level footall but football is football. Greatness will figure it out.

P was another Crouthamel decision after coaching a directional CT and seeing how he worked under Mac. P was made for coaching.

We need to find a guy who can grow into this job and not take this job because it's available. We've hired "guys who have taken the job" before like Greg Robinson. GERG's resume was fantastic but he didn't have "it". Shafer didn't have "it" and Dino couldn't coach and ultimately his "it" left.

Don't we get most of our players from VA, SC and FL now? Is the Holy Cross coach plus the TE coach going to mean that we get the "best" from NY / NJ / Mass / CT? I don't think so. I think the northeast connections aren't that great for us. I'd rather have a guy who has connections in PA and OH.

I get that and I am not being snarky but Northern Illinois beat Boston College at beginning of the year so why not hire that guy if that's the measuring stick? Also this day and age and maybe I am in the minority here I don't think the coach needs Northeast ties, preferably at least in my thinking for a guy who is coaching in a power 4 conference I would want him to have strong ties to the South. 20 years ago it was a huge deal, but now taking transfers from everywhere and NIL ruling the college football world regions don't matter as much.

Don't we get most of our players from VA, SC and FL now? Is the Holy Cross coach plus the TE coach going to mean that we get the "best" from NY / NJ / Mass / CT? I don't think so. I think the northeast connections aren't that great for us. I'd rather have a guy who has connections in PA and OH.

So you mean like Chesney who is from Kulpmont PA

he's going to move up to a bigger level of coaching. Thats an absolute.

It may be incremental to say Harvard when Murphy retires (i've heard this rumor too). But knowing these coaches their eye is on bigger prizes perpetually.

I just see SU as a program that succeeds when it hires unorthodox types like Macpherson and Pasqualoni. Mac was viewed by Jake when Jake coached Dartmouth and Mac was at Umass. He saw something there. Umass wasn't Penn St level footall but football is football. Greatness will figure it out.

P was another Crouthamel decision after coaching a directional CT and seeing how he worked under Mac. P was made for coaching.

We need to find a guy who can grow into this job and not take this job because it's available. We've hired "guys who have taken the job" before like Greg Robinson. GERG's resume was fantastic but he didn't have "it". Shafer didn't have "it" and Dino couldn't coach and ultimately his "it" left.
My pushback is coaches don't grow into jobs anymore, had Dino not won 10 games he would have been fired years ago. 3 years is usually the most an unsuccessful coach gets, and in Power 4 schools some don't get that.

I get that and I am not being snarky but Northern Illinois beat Boston College at beginning of the year so why not hire that guy if that's the measuring stick? Also this day and age and maybe I am in the minority here I don't think the coach needs Northeast ties, preferably at least in my thinking for a guy who is coaching in a power 4 conference I would want him to have strong ties to the South. 20 years ago it was a huge deal, but now taking transfers from everywhere and NIL ruling the college football world regions don't matter as much.

I think we need to hire a regional person full stop. If Holy Cross was in spokane and Chesney was doing the lords work out west, it wouldn't make sense at all.

We need to figure out how a guy in Worcester has made HC a powerhouse at that level. A deconstruction is needed even if he's not hired. Wildhack would be brain dead to not break bread with the northeast success brokers and figure out what's not working> I'd meet with mark murphy as well. I wish Marty Teevan was still alive and get his outlook since he left Dartmouth and came back and had a holistic view of football up this way.

This is John's job at this point. Find the right guy AND find what has worked in the northeast. I see no diff btw the ACC and the Patriot League and the Ivy League at the end of the day when you are talking football on the field. It's a game played 11 on 11. The rest of the BS will be figured out if you can get a guy who can coach on the field. The amt of money these programs have now it's a staffing and donor thing that can be utilized if success is found

Definitely not the measuring stick.

But, he took an FCS team and went toe to toe with Boston College. They probably should have beat Army too.

What I’m saying is, he’s got a team playing well above their level.

Which is something that is desperately needed at Cuse.

Go watch some videos of him coaching, you’ll be impressed

My pushback is coaches don't grow into jobs anymore, had Dino not won 10 games he would have been fired years ago. 3 years is usually the most an unsuccessful coach gets, and in Power 4 schools some don't get that.

agreed 100%. Our measure of success at SU, last i checked, was to compete and make consistent bowl games. That's 6-8 wins per season. The right guy can do that immediately IMO.

If we hire someone and they win 1, 2 and 4 games first 3 seasons, Fire him. It's ok. Don't be scared about expectations. It's a game and the barometer is wins.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom