Boeheim's record against Top 25 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim's record against Top 25

It's really simple babe, JB was won about 70% of his games at Syracuse. The Big East, a great conference, Syracuse with jb as coach, had the best record in the history of that league, and it's not close. Yes, I think he should have a couple more final fours. But the guy has been amazing at syracuse and if you don't realize that, the problem is yours, babe. I also don't remember too much knocking of Izzo and Self here. Why don't you list the coaches you think are better than jb?
Go look in the threads about KY, MichST and KU as you'll find all the Boeheim lap dogs saying we're better coached than this team or that one. When JB retires would you also retire from this board please. Have a good day Champ.

OK, we can probably end this thread without determining who's right or wrong.

Some of you know your basketball. Some, not so much.

But not one of us knows if Boeheim is a better coach than Izzo or Self. (And head-to-head record is far from the best criterion to use to assess that.)

Personal attacks already cuse4ever? Why am I not surprised?

So did you delete yourself or did the mods get you?

But not one of us knows if Boeheim is a better coach than Izzo or Self. (And head-to-head record is far from the best criterion to use to assess that.)
Personal attacks already cuse4ever? Why am I not surprised?

So did you delete yourself or did the mods get you?
Mods.

I stand by my assessment of Self from the other thread. He gets better talent, is in an easier conference, and has just as many flameouts in the tourney at Kansas as JB does over that same time.

He's good - but overrated.

Izzo is similar to JB and has gotten the FF more in less time. But all things being equal I kind of detest his style of play. Epitomizes the B1G brand of basketball.

I stand by my assessment of Self from the other thread. He gets better talent, is in an easier conference, and has just as many flameouts in the tourney at Kansas as JB does over that same time.

He's good - but overrated.

Izzo is similar to JB and has gotten the FF more in less time. But all things being equal I kind of detest his style of play. Epitomizes the B1G brand of basketball.

I would dispute the notion he gets better talent. His recruiting classes are not that great (until recently) given the program he coaches. He's only had about 5 top five classes.

In fact my opinion on self has more to do with the jobs he did at Oral Roberts, Tulsa, and Illinois than at Kansas.

He's probably Mhy favourite coach outside JB.

Go look in the threads about KY, MichST and KU as you'll find all the Boeheim lap dogs saying we're better coached than this team or that one. When JB retires would you also retire from this board please. Have a good day Champ.
LOL 92 posts vs 5600 and you want me to retire??? How old are you?

JB is 25-25 vs. Jim Calhoun.

(of course 0-1 vs. Ollie)

Moving the goalposts. "WAIT! They've showed my top 10 argument is garbage, they've shown head to head he's better than my cherry picked coaches... What next? Type to adjust the topic in the hopes I can prove on a Syracuse fan forum what I haven't been able to prove yet - that the coach of the team we all root for isn't good! "

Why would anyone do this? It makes no sense to me. I thought we were all fans of our team and want to see them do well. It seems like some people on this board revel in the failings (or perceived failings) of our coaches and players. It's a borderline mental health disorder.

For some, the ideal scenario would be have the team win but the coach lose because he played zone, or "cheats" or refuses to play every scholarship player every game, or doesn't win by 20+ or etc, etc, etc. Wanting particular players to do badly is more difficult to figure out.
I'm find with critique of the team, but the tenor of some folks is that we suck, out coach isn't good, Trevor coney should be driving a centro bus, Etc... Why even be a fan if all you're looking for is how you can tear the team down?

forget the ramblings of all us message board freaks - just look at the judgement of his peers, of the men who best know what a great coach is. Among coaches, Boeheim is almost universally hailed as one of the greats. If you polled a hundred current or former college coaches, I think you'd be hard pressed to find 10 of them who don't think JB is a legitimate Hall of Famer. I've heard it from Coach K and Greg Popovich - the peaks of the profession at both the college and pro levels. Even one of his most heated rivals, Jim Calhoun, once called him the best coach in the game. I happen to think Calhoun is the best coach of the last 25 years, so his is the highest possible praise, IMO

forget the ramblings of all us message board freaks - just look at the judgement of his peers, of the men who best know what a great coach is. Among coaches, Boeheim is almost universally hailed as one of the greats. If you polled a hundred current or former college coaches, I think you'd be hard pressed to find 10 of them who don't think JB is a legitimate Hall of Famer. I've heard it from Coach K and Greg Popovich - the peaks of the profession at both the college and pro levels. Even one of his most heated rivals, Jim Calhoun, once called him the best coach in the game. I happen to think Calhoun is the best coach of the last 25 years, so his is the highest possible praise, IMO
I have always thought that Calhoun got more out of his great teams than jb does. I also think that jb gets more out of his good teams than Calhoun did. Both great.

I have always thought that Calhoun got more out of his great teams than jb does. I also think that jb gets more out of his good teams than Calhoun did. Both great.

agree. in today's collegiate climate tourney success is always gonna be the biggest metric.
great overall season last year but losing to dayton makes it unpalatable.

agree. in today's collegiate climate tourney success is always gonna be the biggest metric.
great overall season last year but losing to dayton makes it unpalatable.

Yes. My only beef with JB is his Sweet 16 record.

They are both great, great coaches, but that is the difference.

Both got their teams play at high levels, but Calhoun's teams had more peaks and valleys. JB seems to be best in years like this one - limited expectations preseason and 25 wins at the end.

Calhoun didn't make the NCAA 4 years in a row for a long, long time. He missed the NIT some years.

But, his teams that totally bought-in had another gear that most JB teams didn't have.

Last edited:
is he gone I put him on ignore?

No but he called OttoMets a of some sort and was deleted quickly enough that I got an error when I quoted him because I didn't finish before it was deleted. Cannot quote a post that isn't there. I would say someone is watching closely and I don't think its hard to tell which Mod in this particular case. I have yet to put anyone on ignore, I just roll on with my bad self.

No but he called OttoMets a of some sort and was deleted quickly enough that I got an error when I quoted him because I didn't finish before it was deleted. Cannot quote a post that isn't there. I would say someone is watching closely and I don't think its hard to tell which Mod in this particular case. I have yet to put anyone on ignore, I just roll on with my bad self.
I get easily pissed so anyone that makes my blood pressure rise gets ignored. Especially someone who is suppose to be a fan of the program but constantly puts JB down. I mean I am ready for Hop to take over but I think Jb has earned the right to retire when he wants.

Darn, I missed it.

Funny thing is, I wasn't even disagreeing with him.

I get easily pissed so anyone that makes my blood pressure rise gets ignored.

LOL, there won't be anyone left for you then once we lose a game or two. Two years ago Tee :eek:even got worked up during that streak where Southy went cold and the team couldn't make a jumper for 6 games.

Darn, I missed it.

Funny thing is, I wasn't even disagreeing with him.

That's why I asked if he deleted himself! I was cracking up because he called you a when you were basically giving him an out. Priceless.

LOL, there won't be anyone left for you then once we lose a game or two. Two years ago Tee :eek:even got worked up during that streak where Southy went cold and the team couldn't make a jumper for 6 games.
most on this board are ok its the ones that look for an argument are the ones I don't have time for.

Last edited:
I actual enjoy the arguments so long as they are thoughtful and not personal. Of course some are simply immovable from their position and that can get tiring but again as long as they can admit that Its not an issue. All in all I see a place for a majority of the posters here and the small handful that I simply cannot deal with I don't. Plus surely there is a percentage of the board that has no love for me so it goes both ways.

BTW guys naming names and calling posters out for what bothers you isn't all that helpful unless you also want to list there good points. Just saying it gets us no where we want to be in the end.

I actual enjoy the arguments so long as they are thoughtful and not personal. Of course some are simply immovable from their position and that can get tiring but again as long as they can admit that Its not an issue. All in all I see a place for a majority of the posters here and the small handful that I simply cannot deal with I don't. Plus surely there is a percentage of the board that has no love for me so it goes both ways.

BTW guys naming names and calling posters out for what bothers you isn't all that helpful unless you also want to list there good points. Just saying it gets us no where we want to be in the end.
point taken and post edited! Thanks my friend!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom