Buddy injury updates... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Buddy injury updates...

Duke is probably going to make a play for Brad Stevens when K is ready to retire.
He would get insane money and be done with the NBA by then.
Why would he be done with the NBA

I wish Goodine and Washington would've got more minutes this year and hope they get more going forward. An overlooked stat about Goodine: he won the 3-point shooting contest during SU's preseason scrimmage. He made 12 of 15 beating BuddyB, Hughes, and Girard. I have no idea what he does in practice but on that night he was the best.

I think the argument is, in some far-fetched scenario involving younger players, that you may get more comfortable playing in games, by playing in games.
tenor.gif

I think JB’s thought process is pretty simple; as a team we can’t afford to lose any points. With Goodine or Washington in for Buddy or JGIII we aren’t as effective on offense. And we need all the offense we can get. He doesn’t want to risk losing a game just to give a starter a rest. Because this team can lose to anyone on our schedule and we need every win we can muster.

You may not agree with it, but that’s been his strategy for the last twenty years. Hes not doing it to give Buddy more minutes or that somebody’s in the doghouse. When we have a third guard that can play and score and not tank the offense, they will play.
Goodine wouldn’t “tank” the offense, even if he’s not as good an offensive player right now as Buddy or Joe. But he’s more athletic and faster than those two and a better defender. Joe and Buddy need to rest for at least 5 minutes each every game and Goodine could provide that relief and a spark of energy off the bench.

Last edited:
Wonder what the plus minus is for buddy the last however many games ... goodine gave up ZERO 3s last night and I never even saw a player go by him in a blowout game. Even if Goodine doesn’t score. If buddy gives up 12 on open threes and scores 15, who cares, it’s only +3. I didn’t realize Goodine was that good of a defender and I get it it’s Pitt but they have a few that can bury 3s. Dont get me wrong nothing more exciting than buddy getting hot in a game and really like the kid. Just wonder on D end
Buddy also struggled shooting the 3 for the first half of his freshman year. But JB starting giving him more minutes in conference and he showed what he could do. Why can’t he do that for Goodine and give Buddy and Joe some bench time? He was willing to cut back Frank’s minutes last season to play Buddy.

Last edited:
Had Buddy not turned his ankle but still taken an oh-fer for the game would Goodine have seen the court, except for maybe a few gimme minutes at the end? Doubtful. At least we know now that Buddy's out there for all 40 unless he can't walk. It's not hard to imagine that Goodine is looking at next year and thinking he's never going to play more than a few mins here and there as long as Buddy's father is the coach.

Last edited:
Goodine wouldn’t “tank” the offense, even if he’s not as good an offensive player right now as Buddy or Joe. But he’s more athletic and faster than those two and a better defender. Joe and Buddy need to rest for at least 5 minutes each every game and Goodine could provide that relief and a spark of energy off the bench.

Yes, people forget that you have to play at both ends of the court.
Getting stops are just as important as making buckets.

I think the argument is, in some far-fetched scenario involving younger players, that you may get more comfortable playing in games, by playing in games.
I understand feeling comfortable in game situations. My son was a college football punter. Punting in games didn’t make him better it was the hundreds of hours of work before hand.

Yes, people forget that you have to play at both ends of the court.
Getting stops are just as important as making buckets.
and in hockey a point is awarded to a player for a goal or an assist. scoring title is the sum of both.

"Who did Buddy have in front of him at the time??"

well since you asked. elijah , tyus and frank . but here are buddy's first 172 minutes. (2 starts and 2 dnps)

minutes 172. (thru gtech 1/12) : 17 -70 from the floor. (23 %) . 11-43 deep ( 26%). summary. not great.
by months end he was playing 20 minutes a game.
And in ACC play he was a 40% volume 3-point shooter, so he earned his minutes.

I think JB’s thought process is pretty simple; as a team we can’t afford to lose any points. With Goodine or Washington in for Buddy or JGIII we aren’t as effective on offense. And we need all the offense we can get. He doesn’t want to risk losing a game just to give a starter a rest. Because this team can lose to anyone on our schedule and we need every win we can muster.

You may not agree with it, but that’s been his strategy for the last twenty years. Hes not doing it to give Buddy more minutes or that somebody’s in the doghouse. When we have a third guard that can play and score and not tank the offense, they will play.
I’m not saying that. But big boys tend to be more family and less transactional. If you don’t think Duke will hire from Ks tree or a Dukie you’re kidding yourself. I’d put the likelihood of a non SU guy at less than 25%
Its Red. Done deal

Joe and Buddy need to rest for at least 5 minutes each every game and Goodine could provide that relief and a spark of energy off the bench.

I don’t disagree. But JB does.

And in ACC play he was a 40% volume 3-point shooter, so he earned his minutes.
There's nothing wrong with Buddy, other than him being over-used. His shooting percentage and defense both would be better if he wasn't playing 39 minutes a game.
Exactly this. I don't see anyone seriously suggesting that Buddy Boeheim is not a good player. The argument is that he shouldn't be playing every minute of every game, like he's indispensable. Especially when there are pieces on the bench like a Goodine, who can offer up alternatives to keep him fresh and ready to finish games. Its a no-brainer; Develop some depth, to provide rest for your starters, and in case of emergency...break glass.

Exactly this. I don't see anyone seriously suggesting that Buddy Boeheim is not a good player. The argument is that he shouldn't be playing every minute of every game, like he's indispensable. Especially when there are pieces on the bench like a Goodine, who can offer up alternatives to keep him fresh and ready to finish games. Its a no-brainer; Develop some depth, to provide rest for your starters, and in case of emergency...break glass.
Buddy is a good player. He is no way shape or form more than a 30 minute a game player. Very few players are.

I wish Goodine and Washington would've got more minutes this year and hope they get more going forward. An overlooked stat about Goodine: he won the 3-point shooting contest during SU's preseason scrimmage. He made 12 of 15 beating BuddyB, Hughes, and Girard. I have no idea what he does in practice but on that night he was the best.
Its Red. Done deal
Red is the next coach at Duke?

Its Red. Done deal
Adios with this garbage. John should pack his bags if this happens. In a legitimate national search Red is not even close to the best candidate and fit.

I understand feeling comfortable in game situations. My son was a college football punter. Punting in games didn’t make him better it was the hundreds of hours of work before hand.

You understand because your son punted? I'm not sure how that correlates. My best friend in HS played D1 basketball...do I get special insight points?

Obviously. Nobody is ever arguing, "hey, stop the practices! Stop the work! Games are where you get better and get comfortable with the speed and intensity of games!"

You understand because your son punted? I'm not sure how that correlates. My best friend in HS played D1 basketball...do I get special insight points?

Obviously. Nobody is ever arguing, "hey, stop the practices! Stop the work! Games are where you get better and get comfortable with the speed and intensity of games!"

Maybe you should call your friend and have him tell you that playing a few minutes in a game of basketball won’t make you a better player.

Maybe you should call your friend and have him tell you that playing a few minutes in a game of basketball won’t make you a better player.
That's a ridiculous take. Of course, playing in a game will help make you a better basketball player. Practice makes you better too. You can't 100% replicate a game environment in practice. Playing basketball makes you better at playing basketball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom