Buffalo Bills 2017 Why do I put myself through this season thread | Page 53 | Syracusefan.com

Buffalo Bills 2017 Why do I put myself through this season thread

In case anyone missed the full recap of the last 2+ minutes of their epic game it was a gem:

17-14 Chargers

• Bortles int
  • Chargers Delay of game [on 1st down]
  • Chargers Fumble
  • Hit on Defensless WR, Jags WR dance flagged for unsportsmanlike, Charger flag picked up so Jax moves back 15.
  • Bortles int [Chargers DB does a celebratory dance out of bounds, except for Jax has all 3 time outs].
  • 3 Charger runs into the line & punt
  • Roughing the passer
  • FG good with a high snap
Overtime

• Rivers int with immediate Jag DB celebratory dancing at midfield [in overtime?]; returned inside 5, maybe coulda scored if he tried.
  • Jags penalty move 'em back 15.
  • If you're ever gonna kick on 3rd down maybe do it with your backup long snapper? Nope 2 runs & a Bortles dive to the left hash on 3rd.
  • Blocked FG sneaks over crossbar.
Is it possible being a Charger fan is worse?
Also can Marrone reign his guys in a tiny bit? They have a '91 'U' attitude and they're the freaking Jaguars.

Also can Marrone reign his guys in a tiny bit? They have a '91 'U' attitude and they're the freaking Jaguars.

I rarely root Patriots, but I will enjoy watching them curb stomp Jax in the playoffs if the Jags win their first round playoff game.

Peterman!

Great decision. Tyrod isn't the future. He isn't helping us win. Let's see what we've got at QB heading into the offseason, with the added bonus of replacing the low bar set by Taylor.

Peterman!

Great decision. Tyrod isn't the future. He isn't helping us win. Let's see what we've got at QB heading into the offseason, with the added bonus of replacing the low bar set by Taylor.

Wow, why the change now after saying he was definitely the starter earlier in the week? They must have seen something on the game tape that really disgusted them.

Tyrod Taylor is not the Bills problem.

McDermott wow I can’t believe you are making the change in a road game the team has to win.

Peterman is not better than Taylor.

Peterman!

Also with the realization the D ain't all that and they ain't winning a SB if they get pounded at home like they did. Let's see what he's got.

Peterman!

Stunning move! Two concerns:

1) How much of Tyrod's failure is Dennison's fault? Impossible to know...but my uneducated guess is having Peterman under center isn't going to fix the running game- unless it forces opposing defenses to drop more in coverage. Will be interesting to watch.

2) I fear that this could fracture the locker room...but honestly, after the last two @ss kickings...maybe it sends the right message that they are serious about folks being held accountable. But like the above, Peterman doesn't fix the run defense, either...

I mean, one thing this season has not been is boring...

Tyrod Taylor is not the Bills problem.

McDermott wow I can’t believe you are making the change in a road game the team has to win.

Peterman is not better than Taylor.

Tyrod is undoubtedly the Bills biggest problem. He threw for 56 yards and had a QB rating of 29.7 last week. He is awful. 56 yards!!!

He does not know how to diagnose what he sees and throw the football. He does not know how to throw guys open. He cannot convert 3rd and longs. He is not the guy.

Peterman may not be better but he can't be worse.

Last edited:
Tyrod is undoubtedly the Bills biggest problem. He threw for 56 yards and had a QB rating of 29.7 last week. He is awful. 56 yards!!!

He does not know how to diagnose what he sees and throw the football. He does not know how to throw guys open. He cannot convert 3rd and longs. He is not the guy.

While Taylor has been bad these 2 games the Buffalo D has given up 34 and 46 points that is more problematic.

This Charger game imo was winnable with Taylor. The one he does is take care of the ball.
Bosa and Ingram are stud pass rushers the Chargers could get some turnovers with Peterman.

While Taylor has been bad these 2 games the Buffalo D has given up 34 and 46 points that is more problematic.

The D has not looked good in any shape or form but one compounding factor is that the offense continues to go 3 and out possession after possession. The offense can't even flip the field to help the D out.

I understand what you're saying about being in the playoff hunt and switching QB's but Tyrod has been bad for more than just 2 games. 56 yards! How does that even happen in a game where your getting your butt handed to you? Because he plays scared to make a mistake. He plays not to lose rather than playing to win.

Peterman is a good ball player and this moment is not to big for him. He will play well and surprise ppl Sunday.

The D has not looked good in any shape or form but one compounding factor is that the offense continues to go 3 and out possession after possession. The offense can't even flip the field to help the D out.

I understand what you're saying about being in the playoff hunt and switching QB's but Tyrod has been bad for more than just 2 games. 56 yards! How does that even happen in a game where your getting your butt handed to you? Because he plays scared to make a mistake. He plays not to lose rather than playing to win.

Peterman is a good ball player and this moment is not to big for him. He will play well and surprise ppl Sunday.
Wonder if this means it is NP for the rest of the season regardless of his play (short of being awful).

Not sure how I feel about Tyrod being benched. He has been a good game manager most of the season but not great. I'm curious to see what Peterman can do with the 1st unit. I would give him the 1st half and if he plays terribly, get Tyrod back in asap. I'm guessing they are auditioning Peterman to see if he is servicable and if they should cut Tyrod in the offseason and save 9 mill in cap space.

I'm sure the All-22 showed them, like it does every week, how many missed reads and open throws Taylor missed.

If our defense stays suspect, ok cool... we fix it in the offseason and see what we have in Peterman. Sal C actually said that the staff is high on him, so much so that he's in consideration for our QB of '18.

If our defense gets its act together, at least we give ourselves a shot with a QB who will actually, uh, pass the ball.

I'm sure the All-22 showed them, like it does every week, how many missed reads and open throws Taylor missed.

If our defense stays suspect, ok cool... we fix it in the offseason and see what we have in Peterman. Sal C actually said that the staff is high on him, so much so that he's in consideration for our QB of '18.

If our defense gets its act together, at least we give ourselves a shot with a QB who will actually, uh, pass the ball.
If you guys were out of the race this change makes sense.
The offense for the Bills has to be run first and prevent turnovers.
The playoffs are there for the Bills and Peterman is more likely to lose a game than Taylor is.

Bills have the Patriots twice and Chiefs those game look like long shots with Nathan Peterman starting.

If the Bills beat Chargers and sweep the Fish and Colts that is 9 wins.

9-7 is getting the 6 seed in the AFC.

The playoffs are there for the Bills and Peterman is more likely to lose a game than Taylor is.

Bills have the Patriots twice and Chiefs those game look like long shots with Nathan Peterman starting.

You can't have a run-first offense when the defense has zero respect for the passing game, and for good reason. Teams are loading the box against the Bills and Tyrod still can't pass the ball. Throw on top of that the fact that clearly there has been a major change in blocking scheme with the new OC that is obviously not working well. This team led the league in rushing last year with Anthony Lynn running the show, and now they are totally inept with essentially the same personnel. 3.8 yards per carry this year versus 5.3 last year. That's abysmal.

Tyrod's proven to be at worst like the 20th best starter in the NFL. Peterman absolutely can be worse.

Tyrod's proven to be at worst like the 20th best starter in the NFL. Peterman absolutely can be worse.
Taylor isn’t bad.
He has struggled no doubt but coaching can help.
There must be something going on in the locker room. The change now makes not much sense.
I would take Taylor over Dalton, Cleveland QB, Flacco, Bortles, Brissett, Savage, McCown, Cutler, Denver QB, that is just the AFC.

He isn’t elite but he is average. I mean I guess Peterman could be better but I doubt he will be as a rookie.

I would have agreed with that before but now we have Clay, Mathews and Benjamin ready to go and need someone who willing and able to consistently make those 15-18 yard throws. I guess we'll see.

You can't have a run-first offense when the defense has zero respect for the passing game, and for good reason. Teams are loading the box against the Bills and Tyrod still can't pass the ball. Throw on top of that the fact that clearly there has been a major change in blocking scheme with the new OC that is obviously not working well. This team led the league in rushing last year with Anthony Lynn running the show, and now they are totally inept with essentially the same personnel. 3.8 yards per carry this year versus 5.3 last year. That's abysmal.

The issue with this is that Tyrod has proven to be one of the best deep ball throwers in the NFL. If he can't take the top off the defense when they crowd the line of scrimmage, the likelihood that Peterman can is pretty low. This year's offense is just wayyyy less creative/wide open than the offense of year's past were. Past offenses also used Tyrod's mobility to create running lanes for McCoy whereas they've completely eradicated that from their offense this season (and obviously with the move to Peterman, that part of the game isn't returning either).

The video below was made exactly one year ago...we pretty much haven't seen a play like any of these all season long. Teams are crowding the line of scrimmage because Dennison has designed an offense that runs the vast majority of their plays as basically dumpoffs and Buffalo got rid of every deep threat they had. They finally went out and got someone that can go down the field in Benjamin and after a solid first drive where they focused on giving him opportunities, they went right back to the same offensive scheme that hasn't worked all season.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not mad that they benched Tyrod even if I personally think he's the better QB. At least now we'll get a significant look at Peterman before we get to the offseason. It'll definitely be interesting because he's a completely different style of QB, and it's possible that he's better suited to the offense than Tyrod was.

My concerns are:
1. If the O-Line continues to play the way it has for several weeks now, Peterman is going to get crushed. Tyrod is incredibly elusive both in and out of the pocket, and even he was often left running for his life as a result of the O-Line's poor play.

2. I just don't think Peterman is any better a pure passer than Tyrod is. He'll get the ball out quicker/is almost certainly willing to take more chances than Tyrod is, but in terms of pure passing ability, he's extremely ordinary.

I think a lot of this will simply boil down to how the rest of his teammates play. They've played like absolute the majority of the season. Maybe a switch will wake them up and in doing so, the offense can get back on track, but we'll see.

If this QB change backfires and the wheels come off the Bills season from here on out and they miss the playoff, then Sean McDermott's time in Buffalo will be very short. This is a risky move for a 1st year head coach who is heading into late November currently holding a playoff spot.

Last year Adam Gase cut 3 offensive linemen and it sparked his team on a winning streak, I'm not sure you bench your starting QB to "send a message" when your over .500 heading into late November.If this move works he will look like a genius but if it blows up then you can start the search for your next head coach within the next year or two as McDermott will not never recover from this

The issue with this is that Tyrod has proven to be one of the best deep ball throwers in the NFL. If he can't take the top off the defense when they crowd the line of scrimmage, the likelihood that Peterman can is pretty low. This year's offense is just wayyyy less creative/wide open than the offense of year's past were. Past offenses also used Tyrod's mobility to create running lanes for McCoy whereas they've completely eradicated that from their offense this season (and obviously with the move to Peterman, that part of the game isn't returning either).

The video below was made exactly one year ago...we pretty much haven't seen a play like any of these all season long. Teams are crowding the line of scrimmage because Dennison has designed an offense that runs the vast majority of their plays as basically dumpoffs and Buffalo got rid of every deep threat they had. They finally went out and got someone that can go down the field in Benjamin and after a solid first drive where they focused on giving him opportunities, they went right back to the same offensive scheme that hasn't worked all season.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not mad that they benched Tyrod even if I personally think he's the better QB. At least now we'll get a significant look at Peterman before we get to the offseason. It'll definitely be interesting because he's a completely different style of QB, and it's possible that he's better suited to the offense than Tyrod was.

My concerns are:
1. If the O-Line continues to play the way it has for several weeks now, Peterman is going to get crushed. Tyrod is incredibly elusive both in and out of the pocket, and even he was often left running for his life as a result of the O-Line's poor play.

2. I just don't think Peterman is any better a pure passer than Tyrod is. He'll get the ball out quicker/is almost certainly willing to take more chances than Tyrod is, but in terms of pure passing ability, he's extremely ordinary.

I think a lot of this will simply boil down to how the rest of his teammates play. They've played like absolute the majority of the season. Maybe a switch will wake them up and in doing so, the offense can get back on track, but we'll see.

Two things:

1.) It's great that he has a history of throwing a good deep ball. Those are still low percentage throws. Those 10-20 yard throws are what really move the offense, and he struggles mightily with those.
2.) His penchant for throwing a good deep ball seems to be a thing of the past. He's become so risk averse, that if there's even a chance that a defender can get a finger on a deep ball, he's more likely to throw it 10 yards out of bounds than anywhere near the defender. Also, when is the last time you saw him throw a deep ball that wasn't down the sideline?

That video is over a year old. I'd love to see a video of his deep throws this year, both completed and incomplete. He wouldn't even throw the ball down the field on 3rd and long down 3 scores. Multiple times! There's a difference between being an effective game manager and being so incredibly risk averse and unable to read defenses and throw guys open.

Tyrod is 100% not the 20th best starter in the league. He's better than MAYBE Osweiller, Kizer, Trubisky, Beathard, Stanton, Hundley, Cutler, Savage, Brisset, Fitzpatrick.

And only 3 out of that group are legitimate starters. The rest are playing cuz either they play for the tanking Niners who won't play their real QB1 or they're in there because of an injury to the true starting QB, all of whom are better than Tyrod.

56 yards!!!! 56! In a game we were down by 3 scores early. Mahoney could do better than that for crissakes.

Last edited:
Two things:

1.) It's great that he has a history of throwing a good deep ball. Those are still low percentage throws. Those 10-20 yard throws are what really move the offense, and he struggles mightily with those.
2.) His penchant for throwing a good deep ball seems to be a thing of the past. He's become so risk averse, that if there's even a chance that a defender can get a finger on a deep ball, he's more likely to throw it 10 yards out of bounds than anywhere near the defender. Also, when is the last time you saw him throw a deep ball that wasn't down the sideline?

That video is over a year old. I'd love to see a video of his deep throws this year, both completed and incomplete. He wouldn't even throw the ball down the field on 3rd and long down 3 scores. Multiple times! There's a difference between being an effective game manager and being so incredibly risk averse and unable to read defenses and throw guys open.

Bolded point 1: Tyrod has been one of the best intermediate passers in the NFL since becoming a starter as well; he was 10th in that category last season.

Bolded #2: This is kind of my point though; this wasn't an issue until Dennison arrived/Beane traded/released all of the Bills deep threats. If you look at the playcalling, you'll see that on these 3rd and longs, almost all of the Bills receivers are running 2-5 yard routes. The playcalling has been absolutely abysmal.

Tyrod Taylor is not a QB he is a back up running back who happens to play quarterback. This year he is one read and run or check down to a 5 yard pass when you need 10.