Buffalo Bills 2023 Thread | Page 130 | Syracusefan.com

Buffalo Bills 2023 Thread

It's less then optimal for sure but Douglas, Dane Jackson and Elam is at least a decent trio and obviously getting Douglas back is enormous. Hurts not having Rapp back when they go with that 3 safety look but Taron seems like he's good to go so I'll definitely take him. Really hope Bernard play, would be a huge help.

Davis being out I think is bigger then most people realize. Snead is likely to lock down Diggs for the most part and save for the last game, Davis has terrorized the Chiefs. Gonna need Shakir and Harty both to step up as Sherfield has been non-existent this year. Obviously Kincaid will need a monster game as well.

Sucks to be playing the Chiefs with the walking wounded but gotta try and find away.

It's less then optimal for sure but Douglas, Dane Jackson and Elam is at least a decent trio and obviously getting Douglas back is enormous. Hurts not having Rapp back when they go with that 3 safety look but Taron seems like he's good to go so I'll definitely take him. Really hope Bernard play, would be a huge help.

Davis being out I think is bigger then most people realize. Snead is likely to lock down Diggs for the most part and save for the last game, Davis has terrorized the Chiefs. Gonna need Shakir and Harty both to step up as Sherfield has been non-existent this year. Obviously Kincaid will need a monster game as well.

Sucks to be playing the Chiefs with the walking wounded but gotta try and find away.

Idk, Gabe had that monster game in the last playoff game against KC and he had a solid game in 2022 with 74 yards and a TD, but in the four other games he's played against KC (three regular season and one playoffs) he has a combined 2 catches on 7 targets for 23 yards and zero TDs. I think I like Shakir's playmaking ability better than Gabe's boom or bust play in this matchup.

Idk, Gabe had that monster game in the last playoff game against KC and he had a solid game in 2022 with 74 yards and a TD, but in the four other games he's played against KC (three regular season and one playoffs) he has a combined 2 catches on 7 targets for 23 yards and zero TDs. I think I like Shakir's playmaking ability better than Gabe's boom or bust play in this matchup.
McDuffie mostly plays the slot though. As nice as Shakir has been that's not a great matchup either.
I think it's been a good 20yrs since I've said this about any game but we really need to be able to run it on them. Hope to get enough out of the TE's & Cook in the passing game.

McDuffie mostly plays the slot though. As nice as Shakir has been that's not a great matchup either.
I think it's been a good 20yrs since I've said this about any game but we really need to be able to run it on them. Hope to get enough out of the TE's & Cook in the passing game.

Buffalo should kick Shakir out wide, let Harty and Isabella run from the slot. They will need to get a good game from the TE combo and something out of Harty and Sherfield or the backs running routes.

Wonder if we have a nice gadget play in our back pocket. Do Isabella or Harty have any passing ability? An end around with a throwback to Josh to operate in some open space would be cool. Buffalo Special.

They were having success running the ball this year at KC early and it helped them get up a couple scores . Then they just stopped running

Buffalo should kick Shakir out wide, let Harty and Isabella run from the slot. They will need to get a good game from the TE combo and something out of Harty and Sherfield or the backs running routes.
Shakir has the speed to play there . Ran a 4.43 at the combine. He doesn’t look fast though

I don’t really understand the Shakir vs. Gabe discussion that people seem so hung up on. Shakir plays almost exclusively in the slot. Gabe plays almost exclusively out wide. They aren’t interfering with one another when they’re both on the field. If anything, Gabe’s ability to provide a threat down the field helps open things up for Shakir more than having a total zero out wide does and his run blocking helps to make Cook more effective.

Does Gabe running really open things up? If they dont stay over the top with a safety on him then he is just trying to beat his man or the zone with speed.. thats about all he does. If they really were worried about him they would have to slide the safety and that would mean more room for everybody especially the TEs.,

Shakir has the speed to play there . Ran a 4.43 at the combine. He doesn’t look fast though
It’s not really a speed thing. He’s just not that great dealing with press coverage and is much more comfortable in space. I also just don’t think he’s that fast. That draft year everyone was testing way faster than expected for some reason. He’s not slow by any means but he’s a pretty average athlete.

so I’m watching 2021 chiefs / bills on nfl network for some reason and the fact they lost is more surprising now. It’s as if McMoron ran a million computer simulations on how to lose and employed the one strategy that allowed for it

It’s not really a speed thing. He’s just not that great dealing with press coverage and is much more comfortable in space. I also just don’t think he’s that fast. That draft year everyone was testing way faster than expected for some reason. He’s not slow by any means but he’s a pretty average athlete.
Average compared to who

so I’m watching 2021 chiefs / bills on nfl network for some reason and the fact they lost is more surprising now. It’s as if McMoron ran a million computer simulations on how to lose and employed the one strategy that allowed for it

It really is insane. After we scored to go up and I saw how much time was left I turned to my wife and I said there's to much time left there gonna get into FG range. Part of me wanted to be wrong but my history as a Bills fan told me we would screw it up.

That said a bunch of stuff had to go wrong and we obliged 100%. From not squib kicking to playing the boundary defensively as if they needed a touchdown and had no timeouts, to not bumping the receivers at the line to waste a few more seconds, to not doubling Kelce knowing he would surely look there etc etc etc. You would swear Buffalo thought it was up 4 by how it was playing defensively. I blame McDermott for the kickoff disaster (despite him allegedly calling for a squib) and Frazier for that god awful prevent defense.

It really is insane. After we scored to go up and I saw how much time was left I turned to my wife and I said there's to much time left there gonna get into FG range. Part of me wanted to be wrong but my history as a Bills fan told me we would screw it up.

That said a bunch of stuff had to go wrong and we obliged 100%. From not squib kicking to playing the boundary defensively as if they needed a touchdown and had no timeouts, to not bumping the receivers at the line to waste a few more seconds, to not doubling Kelce knowing he would surely look there etc etc etc. You would swear Buffalo thought it was up 4 by how it was playing defensively. I blame McDermott for the kickoff disaster (despite him allegedly calling for a squib) and Frazier for that god awful prevent defense.

FWIW Erik from Cover 1, who has connections to the team, swears that a squib kick was called and for whatever reason Farwell (the ST coordinator at the time) didn't relay it to Bass. Watching the play multiple times, the kickoff team reacted liked they were expecting a squib and were confused after it was booted to the endzone. Sal from WGR mentioned this at the time. I think that miscommunication threw off everybody and caused the meltdown. I don't mean to absolve McDermott of blame for that ending, but I think you just never know how you're truly going to react when something goes wrong in a high stakes moment.

Even then, they have a chance to avenge that game this weekend and I do think they're going to take care of business.

Last edited:
I don’t really understand the Shakir vs. Gabe discussion that people seem so hung up on. Shakir plays almost exclusively in the slot. Gabe plays almost exclusively out wide. They aren’t interfering with one another when they’re both on the field. If anything, Gabe’s ability to provide a threat down the field helps open things up for Shakir more than having a total zero out wide does and his run blocking helps to make Cook more effective.

Because without Gabe on the field we don’t waste targets/plays on him and maybe it actually forces us to scheme more plays designed specifically for Shakir.

Harty and Sherfield need at least 2 catches in this game. It seems minimal, but it could be important, especially on a third down or a big gainer downfield.

Because without Gabe on the field we don’t waste targets/plays on him and maybe it actually forces us to scheme more plays designed specifically for Shakir.
We haven’t really been wasting targets on him when he’s on the field lately either lol. I just don’t agree with the philosophy that we want worse players on the field/fewer options for Allen to throw to.

The first down play with 13 seconds left they were essentially in a Hail Mary D

Just don’t see how we win this game with all the cluster injuries while they are not only healthy but have a TWO day rest advantage

FWIW Erik from Cover 1, who has connections to the team, swears that a squib kick was called and for whatever reason Farwell (the ST coordinator at the time) didn't relay it to Bass. Watching the play multiple times, the kickoff team reacted liked they were expecting a squib and were confused after it was booted to the endzone. Sal from WGR mentioned this at the time. I think that miscommunication threw off everybody and caused the meltdown. I don't mean to absolve McDermott of blame for that ending, but I think you just never know how you're truly going to react when something goes wrong in a high stakes moment.

Even then, they have a chance to avenge that game this weekend and I do think they're going to take care of business.
I’ve never really understood the squib discussion either. Teams can kneel the ball anywhere on the field. Assuming KC was properly coached, they grab the squib at like the 20-30 yard line and kneel down and now they have the same amount of time with the same field position or potentially better.

I’ve never really understood the squib discussion either. Teams can kneel the ball anywhere on the field. Assuming KC was properly coached, they grab the squib at like the 20-30 yard line and kneel down and now they have the same amount of time with the same field position or potentially better.
It’s not instantaneous. It takes a couple seconds to give yourself up and have it recognized and blown dead. It’s a live ball not like a touch back

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom