Class of 2020 - C Frank Anselem (GA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Frank Anselem (GA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is wrong with you? Edwards can hit shots? Stop

What's wrong with me? I base my opinion on observation, not unsubstantiated attributions like some choose to. I've seen the kid in practice, he knocks down mid-range jumpers smoothly, has an effortless stroke, and also has a variety of nifty moves [spin moves, etc.] around the basket, finishing adeptly with either hand. Just because he hasn't showed it in games -- in a season where he barely played -- doesn't mean he can't.

Last year, there was a substantial number of board NBA scouts who were genuinely convinced that Elijah Hughes couldn't dribble the ball. Oops.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Last edited:
Plus those were the Big East days when our biggest rivals played with 2 bigs and tried to beat the zone by pounding us down low. (The Uconns, and Pitts of the world)

Now we still have some of that but guarding the 3 and the dribble drive is more important against the best teams in the ACC and that requires more mobile athletes IMO.

I think Frank can do it but I don't see that level of athleticism from Edwards or JBA.

#1, our wings aren't asked to hitch up their shorts and guard players one on one. They guard the three using length [both to contest shots on the wing, challenge shots inside, and to prevent the ball from being passed to an area] - and when all else fails, funnel the driving player inside to the shot blocker.

#2, while it would be great to have a squad full of Billy Owens / CJ Fair types who have both size, rebounding capabilities, requisite athleticism, and offensive versatility, you play the hand you are dealt. And sometimes you need to pick your poison. For example, Hughes could certainly defend the 3 and players driving, but he gave up substantial size on the glass playing as an undersized 3 in our system. There will almost invariably be a trade off.

#3, the most important factor playing the wing in our system is lateral mobility. Edwards can move his feet.

#4, basketball is played on both sides of the court, not just defense. And of the two, Edwards has more of a 4's game than JBA on the offensive end. JBA can definitely shoot the rock -- no argument there.

#5, a player not being a "perfect" archetype for a position in our system doesn't mean that he absolutely cannot / will not play that position. See: Dolezaj, Marek playing the 5, or Hughes, Eli playing the 3, Richardson, Malichi playing the 3, Lydon, Tyler playing the 5, and on and on and on. Rick certainly wasn't a "perfect" 4, neither was Rak. The most important thing to playing the wing IN OUR SYSTEM is lateral mobility, with length a close second.

I agree with you that I actually see Frank as more of a tall 4 than a 5 [although he could certainly play there in a pinch, if a sting bean like Marek can].

Last edited:
I'm interested in seeing JBA this year and how he has developed. Hes the big unknown in all of this. Maybe hes a dud idk? One thing I do know is he can shoot the rock. If he can't dribble or move to get out of his own way then hes worthless to us. Hope his redshirt year was big in his development and he will be a nice surprise for us all. Frank definitely is athletic enough to play the 4 for some minutes for us but I honestly dont think I've seen any tape of him shooting anything midrange or a 3. Only dunks and a foul shot. I guess a lot of this is fun to talk about and is situational based on who we are playing etc. Some of these line ups could work but its finding the balance that works on both ends of the court. Cant have 2 or 3 guys out there at the same time that cant put the ball in the hoop anymore. That wasnt fun offense to watch.

I wonder if the staff doesn't feel confident about getting Etienne.
1589042578183.png

#1, our wings aren't asked to hitch up their shorts and guard players one on one. They guard the three using length [both to contest shots on the wing, challenge shots inside, and to prevent the ball from being passed to an area] - and when all else fails, funnel the driving player inside to the shot blocker.

#2, while it would be great to have a squad full of Billy Owens / CJ Fair types who have both size, rebounding capabilities, requisite athleticism, and offensive versatility, you play the hand you are dealt. And sometimes you need to pick your poison. For example, Hughes could certainly defend the 3 and players driving, but he gave up substantial size on the glass playing as an undersized 3 in our system. There will almost invariably be a trade off.

#3, the most important factor playing the wing in our system is lateral mobility. Edwards can move his feet.

#4, basketball is played on both sides of the court, not just defense. And of the two, Edwards has more of a 4's game than JBA on the offensive end. JBA can definitely shoot the rock -- no argument there.

#5, a player not being a "perfect" archetype for a position in our system doesn't mean that he absolutely cannot / will not play that position. See: Dolezaj, Marek playing the 5, or Hughes, Eli playing the 3. Rick wasn't a "perfect" 4, neither was Rak. The most important thing to playing the wing IN OUR SYSTEM is lateral mobility, with length a close second.

I agree with you that I actually see Frank as more of a tall 4 than a 5 [although he could certainly play there in a pinch, if a sting bean like Marek can].
1) It is a match up zone, in fact we match up with the shooters every time the ball go to the middle (or we should) then we either let a non-shooter shoot or guard him if he is knocking it down.

2)This is the recruiting broad it's about getting the Billy Owens/CJ Fair's of the world. Playing the hand you were dealt is a in season main board topic, but the hand we have has Braswell and Marek more capable 4s than Edwards or JBA.

3) I don't agree that he has shone that level lateral mobility to play the 4, but compared to the players we already have at that position it is not close IMO.

4) I believe we can still run effective offensive with 2 bigs, but again Braswell is a better shooter than JBA and Marek has maybe the best all around game on the team never mind the front court.

5) I agree with a player doesn't need to be the "perfect" archetype, but the doesn't make the pieces interchangeable. Braswell can shoot maybe he could play the 2...:rolleyes:

I wonder if Frank Anselem thinks he can play the 4 in our zone? ;)

Everybody said we NEED BEEF in the middle!
CDB and the other guys aren’t cutting it.
We get “big boyed” by every legit 5 we face! :rolleyes:

How does this young, skinny kid solve for that?

And, since he delusionally fancies himself a 1-and-done, it’s unlikely he’d be around in ‘22 as a fully weaponized Big to pair w Dior et al.

Lastly - “handlers”? Ugh.
Really don’t need another TT situation.

He’s a Top 100 kid, so assuming we’re good with him taking a scholly and the coaches think he can contribute, why not?

All that said - this $mell$ like he’ll end up at WKU w/ $tan$bury.
At 220 he’s bigger than anyone on our roster

What's wrong with me? I base my opinion on observation, not unsubstantiated attributions like some choose to. I've seen the kid in practice, he knocks down mid-range jumpers smoothly, has an effortless stroke, and also has a variety of nifty moves [spin moves, etc.] around the basket, finishing adeptly with either hand. Just because he hasn't showed it in games -- in a season where he barely played -- doesn't mean he can't.

Last year, there was a substantial number of board NBA scouts who were genuinely convinced that Elijah Hughes couldn't dribble the ball. Oops.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

To be fair, he didn't really show those skills in the high school games that were posted online either. He seems capable in practice, but he wouldn't be the first person to shoot well in practice with nobody guarding him and not be able to do it in games.

At any rate, I don't think Edwards at PF is the ideal use of him, but it might be a "in case of emergency" thing like Dolezaj playing center.

I'm interested in seeing JBA this year and how he has developed. Hes the big unknown in all of this. Maybe hes a dud idk? One thing I do know is he can shoot the rock. If he can't dribble or move to get out of his own way then hes worthless to us. Hope his redshirt year was big in his development and he will be a nice surprise for us all. Frank definitely is athletic enough to play the 4 for some minutes for us but I honestly dont think I've seen any tape of him shooting anything midrange or a 3. Only dunks and a foul shot. I guess a lot of this is fun to talk about and is situational based on who we are playing etc. Some of these line ups could work but its finding the balance that works on both ends of the court. Cant have 2 or 3 guys out there at the same time that cant put the ball in the hoop anymore. That wasnt fun offense to watch.
Correct to play with 2 bigs one has to be able to play in the high post/mid-range area.

1) It is a match up zone, in fact we match up with the shooters every time the ball go to the middle (or we should) then we either let a non-shooter shoot or guard him if he is knocking it down.

2)This is the recruiting broad it's about getting the Billy Owens/CJ Fair's of the world. Playing the hand you were dealt is a in season main board topic, but the hand we have has Braswell and Marek more capable 4s than Edwards or JBA.

3) I don't agree that he has shone that level lateral mobility to play the 4, but compared to the players we already have at that position it is not close IMO.

4) I believe we can still run effective offensive with 2 bigs, but again Braswell is a better shooter than JBA and Marek has maybe the best all around game on the team never mind the front court.

5) I agree with a player doesn't need to be the "perfect" archetype, but the doesn't make the pieces interchangeable. Braswell can shoot maybe he could play the 2...:rolleyes:

Please take this with the full levity that is intended, but there's some irony in making a case against the unproven commodity that is Edwards using Braswell -- who is also completely unproven!

Humm...
Seton Hall lands big man Jeff Ngandu to fill out last scholarship

Anselem had Zoom calls this week with Seton Hall and Syracuse, with one source saying those two schools are “gaining the most momentum.”

Please take this with the full levity that is intended, but there's some irony in making a case against the unproven commodity that is Edwards using Braswell -- who is also completely unproven!
One is an unproven 4 the other is an unproven 5. So maybe Braswell should play the 5 and Edwards should play the 4...the points the same.

One is an unproven 4 the other is an unproven 5. So maybe Braswell should play the 5 and Edwards should play the 4...the points the same.

The only correct thing in your post is that they are both unproven. You don't know whether Braswell is a 3 or a 4. He weighs 190 pounds, so why is he a 4? Similarly, why is Edwards a 5? He's 6-9 205 pounds -- why is he locked in as a 5?

You're locking them into positions via unsubstantiated criteria. I have high hopes for both -- especially Braswell, but I'm not ready to anoint him, or pencil either in for PT. But I'm not also going to write them off just because they haven't done it yet on the court. Hasn't does not necessarily = "can't."

Lots of proving to do on both counts.

I've seen the kid in practice, he knocks down mid-range jumpers smoothly, has an effortless stroke, and also has a variety of nifty moves [spin moves, etc.] around the basket, finishing adeptly with either hand. Just because he hasn't showed it in games -- in a season where he barely played -- doesn't mean he can't.
00C62745-3861-47CD-8C78-D87FE7E17264.gif

Just kidding. Carry on...

The only correct thing in your post is that they are both unproven. You don't know whether Braswell is a 3 or a 4. He weighs 190 pounds, so why is he a 4? Similarly, why is Edwards a 5? He's 6-9 205 pounds -- why is he locked in as a 5?

You're locking them into positions via unsubstantiated criteria. I have high hopes for both -- especially Braswell, but I'm not ready to anoint him, or pencil either in for PT. But I'm not also going to write them off just because they haven't done it yet on the court. Hasn't does not necessarily = "can't."

Lots of proving to do on both counts.
No. I'm not locking anyone into anything, but players are not recruited in a vacuum. They are all recruited for a role and yes there is some leeway within those roles.

But the idea that a guy that has not proven himself in the primary role that he was recruited for would expand his game to a new role is wishful thinking.

We have only seen Edwards play the 5 we have only seen Braswell play the 4 neither has excelled at those positions, but we are going to expand their roles by playing them in positions they weren't recruited for and require more skill then the position they have not proven that they can excel at yet.

BTW I like both players I think Edwards needs to gain weight to deal the physically of the ACC and maybe one day he will develop into a 4 and maybe Braswell develops his handle well enough to play the 3 one day but they are not there now or close to being there now.

As people have been saying we are one of the favorites if not the favorite here. This kid would be a solid late addition and wouldn’t be surprised one bit if he’s a starter by year 2. Christmas was a little bit of a better athlete and stronger but in terms of size/length, defensive ability think of him as a comparison. Obviously Christmas’ offensive game exploded his senior year, Frank is still very raw offensively but bugs are almost always late bloomers offensively.

No. I'm not locking anyone into anything, but players are not recruited in a vacuum. They are all recruited for a role and yes there is some leeway within those roles.

But the idea that a guy that has not proven himself in the primary role that he was recruited for would expand his game to a new role is wishful thinking.

We have only seen Edwards play the 5 we have only seen Braswell play the 4 neither has excelled at those positions, but we are going to expand their roles by playing them in positions they weren't recruited for and require more skill then the position they have not proven that they can excel at yet.

BTW I like both players I think Edwards needs to gain weight to deal the physically of the ACC and maybe one day he will develop into a 4 and maybe Braswell develops his handle well enough to play the 3 one day but they are not there now or close to being there now.

The notion that players are recruited only to fulfill one role is a fallacy. Boeheim has always emphasized recruiting positional versatility -- and not just recently, for the zone. In fact, the overwhelming majority of guys we bring in are capable of filling in at more than one position in our system. Are there a limited number of exceptions? Sure. Occasionally, we bring in a Chukwu, who can only play the 5, or a smaller guard like Flynn who can only play the 1. But otherwise, our roster is always chock full of guys who are 4s who can play 5, 3s who can also play 4, guys who can play 2 or 3, and even guys who can be 1 or 2. Although rare, we also occasionally land guys who are capable of playing THREE positions in our system [like Gbinije].

How do you know that Edwards was brought in only to be a 5? He was brought in with JBA -- maybe the staff envisions JBA as the 5, with Edwards playing alongside him? Maybe neither ever gets off the bench. Time will tell, but their story isn't written, and neither of their roles are set in stone. Ditto Braswell.

And it isn't wishful thinking -- nor is it a prediction. I was responding to a post above where someone suggested that Edwards would never play the 4. My question in response is: why not? I've already pointed to some reasons why I believe that he can -- such as his lateral mobility, offensive versatility, etc. The biggest counter-argument I'm seeing is that some have decided in advance that he's a 5, so that's the only position he can play.

I'm not opining that he's going to play a ton of minutes at 4 -- but he HAS played more than Braswell, JBA, Newton. I view it similarly to how Melancer describes it above -- I think that we'll have Quincy and Marek play the majority of minutes 4, but in the event of injury or foul trouble -- or heaven forbid, and injury -- Edwards has the tools to play there if needed.

And it wouldn't be altogether different than someone like Marek playing in the pivot. I'm sure that if we could go back in time three years, and somebody made a post suggesting that Dolezaj was going to get extensive minutes at center at 175 pounds, people would have a similar reaction as what we're seeing in this thread.

Last edited:
As people have been saying we are one of the favorites if not the favorite here. This kid would be a solid late addition and wouldn’t be surprised one bit if he’s a starter by year 2. Christmas was a little bit of a better athlete and stronger but in terms of size/length, defensive ability think of him as a comparison. Obviously Christmas’ offensive game exploded his senior year, Frank is still very raw offensively but bugs are almost always late bloomers offensively.

Hope you are right -- would love to land him. Would be a solid consolation prize, and a guy who I could see as a multi year starter at the 4.

The notion that players are recruited only to fulfill one role is a fallacy. Boeheim has always emphasized recruiting positional versatility -- and not just recently, for the zone. In fact, the overwhelming majority of guys we bring in are capable of filling in at more than one position in our system. Are there a limited number of exceptions? Sure. Occasionally, we bring in a Chukwu, who can only play the 5, or a smaller guard like Flynn who can only play the 1. But otherwise, our roster is always chock full of guys who are 4s who can play 5, 3s who can also play 4, guys who can play 2 or 3, and even guys who can be 1 or 2. Although rare, we also occasionally land guys who are capable of playing THREE positions in our system [like Gbinije].

How do you know that Edwards was brought in only to be a 5? He was brought in with JBA -- maybe the staff envisions JBA as the 5, with Edwards playing alongside him? Maybe neither ever gets off the bench. Time will tell, but their story isn't written, and neither of their roles are set in stone. Ditto Braswell.

And it isn't wishful thinking -- nor is it a prediction. I was responding to a post above where someone suggested that Edwards would never play the 4. My question in response is: why not? I've already pointed to some reasons why I believe that he can -- such as his lateral mobility, offensive versatility, etc. The biggest counter-argument I'm seeing is that some have decided in advance that he's a 5, so that's the only position he can play.

I'm not opining that he's going to play a ton of minutes at 4 -- but he HAS played more than Braswell, JBA, Newton. I view it similarly to how Melancer describes it above -- I think that we'll have Quincy and Marek play the majority of minutes 4, but in the event of injury or foul trouble Edwards has the tools to play there in a pinch. And it wouldn't be altogether different than someone like Marek playing in the pivot - perhaps not ideal, and there would be some things that we would gain match up wise and other things we would sacrifice.

I'm sure that if we could go back in time three years, and somebody made a post suggesting that Dolezaj was going to get extensive minutes at center at 175 pounds, people would have a similar reaction as what we're seeing in this thread.
Maybe we read the original post differently. I read it that Edwards cannot play the 4 now or next year, which I agree with. Not that he could never play that position by his senior or if he RS 5th year.

Bring up players who developed over the years to be able to play multi positions is my point. Mike G started playing the 3 the following year he played the 2, his senior year (5th year senior) he played the 1.

Edwards has not played meaningful minute at his listed position center, if he had proven himself at that position he would had played over Marek at that position. He didn't.

So he is listed at center workouts with the centers but was beaten out by a forward for back-up center minutes. So no he is not ready to play forward now. What the future entails nobody knows.

So just for something to talk about some more.

Arkansas is thinking Isaiah Joe will return and not go through with draft. He keeps falling in most mocks. If he comes back (I think) they are full. Besides that they have some decent bigs.

Someone on the Arkansas board was saying he read/heard San Diego was out. (Havent looked into that much yet) but I know Frank loves the west coast so idk if I believe that.

SH obviously out

WKU is really the only other one I'm thinkin to worry about here. Gunna check out some stuff on San Diego and see what I can find.

Gotta like our chances here the way the dominos are falling.

Pump the breaks on the Christmas comparisons. Rak was an AA; an elite player coming out of high school.
I get what your saying. I think hes just comparing player as in "type of player/skillset" not actually as skilled or talented. Also gotta remember with Rak he was a top end talent Burger boy and took a good 3 years to even become something we all thought he could be. Seems like when some schools get burger boys they come in and crush it. We get a few burger boys and they take 3 years to develop or have bum knees lol. Go figure.

Maybe we read the original post differently. I read it that Edwards cannot play the 4 now or next year, which I agree with. Not that he could never play that position by his senior or if he RS 5th year.

Bring up players who developed over the years to be able to play multi positions is my point. Mike G started playing the 3 the following year he played the 2, his senior year (5th year senior) he played the 1.

Edwards has not played meaningful minute at his listed position center, if he had proven himself at that position he would had played over Marek at that position. He didn't.

So he is listed at center workouts with the centers but was beaten out by a forward for back-up center minutes. So no he is not ready to play forward now. What the future entails nobody knows.

Oh, I see -- so he isn't capable of playing the 4 now, but he will magically transform into being able to do it next year, because versatility is linear? C'mon.

Again, hasn't shown does not = can't do it. I understand the skepticism, I honestly do -- but pump the brakes with declarative statements about what he can or cannot do. Just because you haven't seen it, doesn't mean that he doesn't have the capability.

And to put your argument in perspective -- he got beat out by a junior, who's played a lot of minutes and had earned JBs trust despite not being ideally physically suited to having to man the pivot. Wouldn't be the first time a frosh got beaten out by a more experienced player in JB's system, and proves nothing in terms of long range prognosis.

For the record, I don't expect Edwards to play the 4 next year, either. But you never how how things will unfold -- all it takes is a guy tearing his knee, or Sidibe's tendinitis to start acting up, or a player to unexpectedly quit, or someone to opt not to return under these crazy global circumstances -- and what seems set in stone vis a vis roster composition and rotation suddenly changes. And before anyone suggests that might be far-fetched, did anyone see losing both of the experienced guards to ACL injuries in 2008? Or losing both Chukwu and Coleman for most of the year due to injuries in 2017?

Shiz happens.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online