Class of 2020 - C Frank Anselem (GA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Frank Anselem (GA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, i'm also not getting why Edwards (or JBA) can't play the 4. Now—except for Guerrier being the better option.
We'd likely have Joe, Buddy, and another 3-point threat on the court in Braswell or gods willing Griffin. Don't need a fourth perimeter threat. Why couldn't Edwards play a similar role to Hak? Rebounding, mid-range+dunking on offense. Edwards—and eventually Anselem—have good footspeed, and even if they're not the most nimble on close-outs to the corner, the length and wingspan could be compensation. Maybe not ideal, but we don't seem to be in the position to recruit 'ideal' these days. The zone has inherent compromises, and maybe the added length, rebounding, and shot discipline make up for some of them.

Oh, I see -- so he isn't capable of playing the 4 now, but he will magically transform into being able to do it next year, because versatility is linear? C'mon.

Again, hasn't shown does not = can't do it. I understand the skepticism, I honestly do -- but pump the brakes with declarative statements about what he can or cannot do. Just because you haven't seen it, doesn't mean that he doesn't have the capability.

And to put your argument in perspective -- he got beat out by a junior, who's played a lot of minutes and had earned JBs trust despite not being ideally physically suited to having to man the pivot. Wouldn't be the first time a frosh got beaten out by a more experienced player in JB's system, and proves nothing.

For the record, I don't expect Edwards to play the 4 next year, either. But you never how how things will unfold -- all it takes is a guy tearing his knee, or Sidibe's tendinitis to start acting up, or a player to unexpectedly quit, or someone to opt not to return under these crazy global circumstances -- and what seems set in stone vis a vis roster composition and rotation suddenly changes. And before anyone suggests that might be far-fetched, did anyone see losing both of the experienced guards to ACL injuries in 2008? Or losing both Chukwu and Coleman for most of the year due to injuries in 2017?

Shiz happens.
We were 18-14 last year. What are we talking about? Winning basketball? or everybody gets hurt so we have to do what we have to do?

All of the players we had were great, but 3 guards who didn't play transferred out and we have been recruiting every big man who can walk and chew gum at the same time.

It can't be that we had talent issues but the guys who couldn't get off the bench are super talented. That's a coaching issue.

So it's either talent or coaching personally I think it's talent...

Reached out to a few people. Waiting on some responses but this was one regarding sdsu. So definitely a possibility for them to land frank

20200509_155033.jpg

Yeah, i'm also not getting why Edwards (or JBA) can't play the 4. Now—except for Guerrier being the better option.
We'd likely have Joe, Buddy, and another 3-point threat on the court in Braswell or gods willing Griffin. Don't need a fourth perimeter threat. Why couldn't Edwards play a similar role to Hak? Rebounding, mid-range+dunking on offense. Edwards—and eventually Anselem—have good footspeed, and even if they're not the most nimble on close-outs to the corner, the length and wingspan could be compensation. Maybe not ideal, but we don't seem to be in the position to recruit 'ideal' these days. The zone has inherent compromises, and maybe the added length, rebounding, and shot discipline make up for some of them.

!00% spot on.

But what happens if a player isn't available due to injury? What happens if we have as game where both Marek and Quincy foul out on the road [don't laugh -- we had this happen with Marek / Sidibe this season]?

What does the rotation look like next year, when both Marek / Sidibe expire their eligibility?

What happens with Braswell, and does he factor into the rotation or does he fizzle out?

Do any of the existing frontcourt players opt to transfer?

Hopefully we land Anselem, and the depth only improves. But there are a lot of uncertain variables.

What is he going to announce a commitment?

What is he going to announce a commitment?
Didnt really say..in the last interview posted on here I think he mentioned this month...so fairly soon. Kinda said if he just wakes up one day and knows then he will do it. Doesnt sound like he cares too much about making it into a "thing"

Oh, I see -- so he isn't capable of playing the 4 now, but he will magically transform into being able to do it next year, because versatility is linear? C'mon.

Again, hasn't shown does not = can't do it. I understand the skepticism, I honestly do -- but pump the brakes with declarative statements about what he can or cannot do. Just because you haven't seen it, doesn't mean that he doesn't have the capability.

And to put your argument in perspective -- he got beat out by a junior, who's played a lot of minutes and had earned JBs trust despite not being ideally physically suited to having to man the pivot. Wouldn't be the first time a frosh got beaten out by a more experienced player in JB's system, and proves nothing in terms of long range prognosis.

For the record, I don't expect Edwards to play the 4 next year, either. But you never how how things will unfold -- all it takes is a guy tearing his knee, or Sidibe's tendinitis to start acting up, or a player to unexpectedly quit, or someone to opt not to return under these crazy global circumstances -- and what seems set in stone vis a vis roster composition and rotation suddenly changes. And before anyone suggests that might be far-fetched, did anyone see losing both of the experienced guards to ACL injuries in 2008? Or losing both Chukwu and Coleman for most of the year due to injuries in 2017?

Shiz happens.
I've been following the pissing contest between you two and found it hilarious at first but it's time for me to move back to the adult board.

We were 18-14 last year. What are we talking about? Winning basketball? or everybody gets hurt so we have to do what we have to do?

All of the players we had were great, but 3 guards who didn't play transferred out and we have been recruiting every big man who can walk and chew gum at the same time.

It can't be that we had talent issues but the guys who couldn't get off the bench are super talented. That's a coaching issue.

So it's either talent or coaching personally I think it's talent...

Talk about moving the goal posts.

If you want to debate whether the existing players on the roster are good enough, or what the futures are for the likes of JBA / Edwards / Braswell and whether they are good enough for the ACC-- by all means, feel free -- I agree 100% that this subject would be a valid topic. I wouldn't be surprised to see one or more of these guys transfer out in the next year; in fact, that's what I expect.

That discussion has zero to do with whether Edwards has the tools to see spot minutes at the 4. I haven't seen one single post in this entire discussion where anybody has called for that to happen or predicted that he would play there, only that he could do so if required.

What's wrong with me? I base my opinion on observation, not unsubstantiated attributions like some choose to. I've seen the kid in practice, he knocks down mid-range jumpers smoothly, has an effortless stroke, and also has a variety of nifty moves [spin moves, etc.] around the basket, finishing adeptly with either hand. Just because he hasn't showed it in games -- in a season where he barely played -- doesn't mean he can't.

Last year, there was a substantial number of board NBA scouts who were genuinely convinced that Elijah Hughes couldn't dribble the ball. Oops.

Wash, rinse, repeat.
One practice man...hard data. There’s barely any games of him playing in HS and played what? 10 games for us? He has no offensive skill outside the paint. If you’re making a case for JBA, I get it. But I guarantee edwards will never everrrr touch the 4 spot at syracuse. Our forwards have...you know...score

One practice man...hard data. There’s barely any games of him playing in HS and played what? 10 games for us? He has no offensive skill outside the paint. If you’re making a case for JBA, I get it. But I guarantee edwards will never everrrr touch the 4 spot at syracuse. Our forwards have...you know...score

To each their own -- I'd rather form an opinion based upon multi-hours of observation than from a few mosetly garbage time minutes strung together over the course of a season. But that's just me.

In recent years, we had posters claiming with full sincerity that:
  • Andrew White could be a 2 when he couldn't dribble down his chin and averaged .01 assists his previous three years playing college ball
  • Hughes's offensive capabilities were limited because he was a subpar ball handler and couldn't create off the bounce
  • Lydon wouldn't play the 5
  • KrisJo wasn't athletic enough to play at our level
  • Andy Rautins was the worst scholarship player in the Boeheim era
  • Triche would never average double digits
  • Gillon was a 10 minute per game type of player
  • CJ Fair couldn't score outside of 10 feet
...and on and on and on. All of that nonsense was based upon "hard data" too.

As for forwards being able to score -- Tyler Roberson and Kristof Ongenet say hello.

Last edited:
Talk about moving the goal posts.

If you want to debate whether the existing players on the roster are good enough, or what the futures are for the likes of JBA / Edwards / Braswell and whether they are good enough for the ACC-- by all means, feel free -- I agree 100% that this subject would be a valid topic. I wouldn't be surprised to see one or more of these guys transfer out in the next year; in fact, that's what I expect.

That discussion has zero to do with whether Edwards has the tools to see spot minutes at the 4. I haven't seen one single post in this entire discussion where anybody has called for that to happen or predicted that he would play there, only that he could do so if required.
Ok you win he has never played the 4 not in HS not here but he can do it. In fact he is the best 4 on the team...

Ok you win he has never played the 4 not in HS not here but he can do it. In fact he is the best 4 on the team...

Straw man, but whatevs.

Honestly, no hard feelings -- have a good weekend.

Time to disengage and grab a drink, and see what happens with Frank. LGO!!

To each their own -- I'd rather form an opinion based upon multi-hours of observation than from a few minutes strung together over the course of a season. But that's just me.

In recent years, we had posters claiming that Andrew White could be a 2 when he couldn't dribble down his chin and averaged .01 assists for his previous three years playing college ball, that Hughes couldn't handle the ball, and that Lydon wouldn't play the 5. That was based upon "hard data" too.

As for forwards being able to score -- Tyler Roberson and Kristof Ongenet say hello.
Hence why they wont recruit a forward ever again who cant score and unfortunatey Tyler regressed from HS to college unlike I’ve ever seen. He was better at in NJ than upstate NY. Half part with between his ears and half because of the coach.

our guards and forwards HAVE to have the ability to score because we allllll know we roll out non offensive centers.

Hence why they wont recruit a forward ever again who cant score and unfortunatey Tyler regressed from HS to college unlike I’ve ever seen. He was better at in NJ than upstate NY. Half part with between his ears and half because of the coach.

our guards and forwards HAVE to have the ability to score because we allllll know we roll out non offensive centers.
Some people can't observe the difference between winning and losing...it is why we have to keep score...

And FWIW from my source...not much smoke with Frank coming here but if this trend keeps happening where we become the only option, welp sweet
Interesting. Few people I've talked with like our chances. But the way things are going he might not have any other options but us lol.

Not much to read into and not from any sources. Just forum talk so dont take it too serious or act like I'm posting with some type of inside knowledge because I'm not. Just sharing. This is from a Arkansas guy
20200509_172946.jpg

Arkansas forum talk. But again I think SDSU is a real possibility along with WKU. I'm not so sure Arkansas is much of a option.

20200509_173351.jpg

SDSU makes a lot of sense from a lifestyle / weather / close to home [relatively] perspective.

WKU makes a lot of sense if he wants a bag and is straight up looking to get paid.

SU makes sense if he truly envisions himself as elite and wants to play in an elite conference, but I'm not sure that we offer the quickest / clearest path to PT.

No idea what the kid might be prioritizing. But happy that UK, SHU, LSU, and others are out of the picture.

Last edited:
Interesting. Few people I've talked with like our chances. But the way things are going he might not have any other options but us lol.
Yeah, my plug is an AAU coach from NYC who is best friends with a certain someone on the staff but hasnt heard much which says it’s not a good sign.
if he does commit, it will certainly get interesting with 4.5 guys can play 1 position

Yeah, my plug is an AAU coach from NYC who is best friends with a certain someone on the staff but hasnt heard much which says it’s not a good sign.
if he does commit, it will certainly get interesting with 4.5 guys can play 1 position
But that's kinda how all his schools left are. Arkansas is pretty full...sdsu I think is the same way. The only one I I guess would be WKU if he wants to play along side Bassey maybe at the 4 and spell minutes at the 5 for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom