Class of 2020 - C Makur Maker to Howard | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Makur Maker to Howard

They will find you but if your a 5 star player don't you want to text your game against the best competition?
Being a historic player at an HBCU and representing and benefitting HBCUs in general is probably more important to him than playing 18 games in the SEC. There’s nothing wrong with either path but this is something we’re almost definitely going to see happen more often. I’ll definitely watch more Howard basketball this season than I have in my entire life (probably none) because of Maker alone.

I’m all for it.

Being a historic player at an HBCU and representing and benefitting HBCUs in general is probably more important to him than playing 18 games in the SEC. There’s nothing wrong with either path but this is something we’re almost definitely going to see happen more often. I’ll definitely watch more Howard basketball this season than I have in my entire life (probably none) because of Maker alone.

I’m all for it.
If that's what you want to do I'm not knocking it I just find it strange. Not sure where you can find Howard games they are rarely on tv.

If that's what you want to do I'm not knocking it I just find it strange. Not sure where you can find Howard games they are rarely on tv.

Where do you find Euro hoops games on TV??

Yet - Euro players heavily populate the 1st round of the NBA Draft.

It’s almost like TV exposure to regular fans doesn’t actually matter in terms of getting drafted. ;)

Where do you find Euro hoops games on TV??

Yet - Euro players heavily populate the 1st round of the NBA Draft.

It’s almost like TV exposure to regular fans doesn’t actually matter in terms of getting drafted. ;)
I couldn't tell you but it's on somewhere. Again it's not exposure for the draft it's getting to be on tv so your friends and family can see you. Also to build your brand.

I couldn't tell you but it's on somewhere. Again it's not exposure for the draft it's getting to be on tv so your friends and family can see you. Also to build your brand.
He already built his brand. There's 5 pages on him and he never even considered SU. Wait until Mikey Williams and others follow him...

None of that stuff matters, players are found everywhere.

He won't have the best travel, possible best training and medical, etc...but that's one of those things where a kid likely won't know (or care) what they're missing.

None of that stuff matters, players are found everywhere.

He won't have the best travel, possible best training and medical, etc...but that's one of those things where a kid likely won't know (or care) what they're missing.
I like that young people are standing up against the establishment, where they see it is unfair. If they are going to bring tons of money to a university, why not one that helps their culture. I can't wait for a high profile white kid to go to a historically black university.

I like that young people are standing up against the establishment, where they see it is unfair. If they are going to bring tons of money to a university, why not one that helps their culture. I can't wait for a high profile white kid to go to a historically black university.

Candidly if my kid snapped his leg playing a sport I'd want a school with the best trained medical team around equipped to deal with it. Having all the bells and whistles at your fingertips isn't really unfair. Underfunded schools might not be able to compete.

That being said good for this kid.

All the schools are streaming now. Mom and dad can watch, from anywhere, and so can scouts

He’s gonna have more exposure for this decision than if he went to say, Memphis. Howard games will be on tv because of him. Now it won’t be every game but I can’t find every syracuse game on tv and I live in NY lol.

He’s free do make whatever choice but he’s not standing up against the establishment. The HBCUs are part of the same corrupt system as the big schools, he’ll be exploited for his athletic talents so other people can make money. He is sacrificing some (but not all) of the positives he could have received from the arrangement so that different people in power will reap the benefits. Sticking it to the establishment is playing pro overseas or in G League.

He’s gonna have more exposure for this decision than if he went to say, Memphis. Howard games will be on tv because of him. Now it won’t be every game but I can’t find every syracuse game on tv and I live in NY lol.
Espn isn't going to put Howard games on because of 1 five star recruit. This is low major bball we are talking about.

He’s free do make whatever choice but he’s not standing up against the establishment. The HBCUs are part of the same corrupt system as the big schools, he’ll be exploited for his athletic talents so other people can make money. He is sacrificing some (but not all) of the positives he could have received from the arrangement so that different people in power will reap the benefits. Sticking it to the establishment is playing pro overseas or in G League.
I disagree. I think a young black man choosing to play for a historically black university is sending a message. A message of unity. He knows his talents bring recognition and money to whatever university he chooses. He has made a statement, good for him.

if he were my son i woud have advised against going to Howard over lets say UK. He is not going to be challenged at all in practice and will certainly not be playing against anyone who can challenge him in games and help him improve. Also, and one of the main reasons for my reasoning was mentioned above. The medical/nutritional/facilities offered at say Kentucky vs Howard are night and day. At UK he will have exposure to nutritionists who will work on his body, one of the top tier medical teams. mostly likely high level equipment not available at Howard. The ideaof sticking it to the man is great, but doing so is a huge risk and IMO not making the best decision based for a future in basketball.

I disagree. I think a young black man choosing to play for a historically black university is sending a message. A message of unity. He knows his talents bring recognition and money to whatever university he chooses. He has made a statement, good for him.
Indeed he has, there is no denying this. The question that should be asking though if his main goal is to get to the NBA "Does Howard give me a better chance of getting drafted in the top 10 than UK". The answer here is clearly a no.

Indeed he has, there is no denying this. The question that should be asking though if his main goal is to get to the NBA "Does Howard give me a better chance of getting drafted in the top 10 than UK". The answer here is clearly a no.

when you’re already a top 10 talent, you don’t need UK or any college for that matter. Amazing how people still look at so much of this as a basketball decision. No matter what the board likes to find something negative to say about an 18 year old kid who is making an impact for himself, his family, his culture and the school he chose... let’s support the decision instead of picking it apart for “basketball reasons”

when you’re already a top 10 talent, you don’t need UK or any college for that matter. Amazing how people still look at so much of this as a basketball decision. No matter what the board likes to find something negative to say about an 18 year old kid who is making an impact for himself, his family, his culture and the school he chose... let’s support the decision instead of picking it apart for “basketball reasons”

Thats not necessarily true. He is a top 20 talent and is no means a cant miss prospect. There are question marks around his game and in particular his body Ask Jaden mcdaniels, he was a top 5 recruit at Washington and will be lucky to get drafted in the first round this year. College matters and so does the system that is run in that college. Also, what if he turns an ankle, id much rather have the UK medical staff than Howard medical staff working with me on rehabbing etc.

Also, but last i checked this is a basketball board about a basketball player accepting a basketball scholarship. If this is not being viewed as a basketball decesion than i think that's a huge mistake on his part. The NBA will find you anywhere if you can play, i agree with that. But part of the process at least IMO in picking a school is to find one that would put you in the best position to succeed. UK or any other traditional basketball powerhouse would do that over Howard.

He is well within his rights to do this and if he wants to be a trail blazer and try to start a trend to go to HBC thats totally fine and within his right. But do not tell me with a straight face that if this decision was based solely on basketball and making it to the next level, that HU will give hime a better chance of making it to the NBA then UK.

Thats not necessarily true. He is a top 20 talent and is no means a cant miss prospect. There are question marks around his game and in particular his body Ask Jaden mcdaniels, he was a top 5 recruit at Washington and will be lucky to get drafted in the first round this year. College matters and so does the system that is run in that college. Also, what if he turns an ankle, id much rather have the UK medical staff than Howard medical staff working with me on rehabbing etc.

Also, but last i checked this is a basketball board about a basketball player accepting a basketball scholarship. If this is not being viewed as a basketball decesion than i think that's a huge mistake on his part. The NBA will find you anywhere if you can play, i agree with that. But part of the process at least IMO in picking a school is to find one that would put you in the best position to succeed. UK or any other traditional basketball powerhouse would do that over Howard.

He is well within his rights to do this and if he wants to be a trail blazer and try to start a trend to go to HBC thats totally fine and within his right. But do not tell me with a straight face that if this decision was based solely on basketball and making it to the next level, that HU will give hime a better chance of making it to the NBA then UK.
Just for the sake of argument on this dreary covid day - Sometimes it is better to be a big fish in a little pond, and sometimes it is better not to be exposed, for eg. basement Joe Biden. Did it hurt Foyle to go to Colgate instead of Cuse? Too many unknowns to state definitively that going to Howard for a year or 2 would have any detrimental effect.

You think that the orthopedic doctors at Howard can’t treat a sprained ankle huh

Not to pick on Howard, and a sprained ankle is a sprained ankle, but their sports don't staff at the same level which I think was the greater point. One of my kids had a Howard assistant football coach as her high school history teacher. I am sure there are other examples. At Cuse those gigs are 24 /7.

Not to pick on Howard, and a sprained ankle is a sprained ankle, but their sports don't staff at the same level which I think was the greater point. One of my kids had a Howard assistant football coach as her high school history teacher. I am sure there are other examples. At Cuse those gigs are 24 /7.

Knowing a little a about orthopedics and sports medicine I'm pretty sure the discrepancy in care between programs at the division one level is not that great.

Knowing a little a about orthopedics and sports medicine I'm pretty sure the discrepancy in care between programs at the division one level is not that great.

I'll take your advice on it. It's also a school in a big city with a strong alumni base so a kid will be taken care of.

But are you also saying SU selling an NBA type facility for training, rehab, etc doesn't really amount to much.

You think that the orthopedic doctors at Howard can’t treat a sprained ankle huh
tenor.gif

I'll take your advice on it. It's also a school in a big city with a strong alumni base so a kid will be taken care of.

But are you also saying SU selling an NBA type facility for training, rehab, etc doesn't really amount to much.

I mean we have a lot to offer but I guess some kids prioritize different things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom