Class of 2020 - C Mounir Hima (NJ) Transfer from Duquesne/COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Mounir Hima (NJ) Transfer from Duquesne/COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is an article on him from late in the season.

Surprised they would be interested in a freshman. 7 foot 7 wing span. Maybe JB is thinking he can be a MBK type that focuses on defense, will be content to be a role player and stay for 3 seasons?
I think JAB sees him as a hard worker who is very raw and wants to opportunity to be able to mold him. Defensively first and then hopefully offensively. This kid is a no brainer as a 13th scholarship and as an upside to Chaz Owens.

Better than nothing but the list of schools that previously reached out doesn’t inspire much confidence. Obviously the staff sees something there and after the work they’ve done with Jesse (and to a lesser extent Frank) I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt. Let’s lock him down so we at least have a backup center on the roster.

This is the guy I was referring to. I can sense the board excitement.
Not sure why people are disappointed. There was nothing in the portal for a 6"10 to 7-foot big body who was willing to come in for ten minutes max. Why not take a chance on this kid who JAB and staff can shape. Smart kid. Inexperienced. Workout warrior. Great wingspan. I won't go crazy but this would be like a very inexperienced Rony Seikaly showing up at JAB's doorstep, but obviously not Rony. We all know these kids take a lot of time to develop. He is a great mound of clay hoping someone is able to mold him.

Given how hard it is to find a backup in the portal, all we realistically need is a big body to prevent teams from abusing us in the paint for 10-12 minutes per game while Jesse is out. 7'7" wingspan should do it. And it appears he might always be a backup so he won't drive away Peter Carey or future players. Good attitude too. Only has been playing basketball a few years so he probably has untapped potential. Like cliftonparksufan said above, he'll help more than Chaz Owens, probably Bol too. Let's just hope Jesse doesn't get injured again.

There were plenty of options in the portal who could start at the four and move to the five when needed to. I agree that we probably weren’t going to find anyone better to come be a backup center but we absolutely could have gotten a much better basketball player.

The freshmen better be good

We have to understand we weren’t getting a stud center to come here this year as a transfer with Jesse here. We’ll have this kid and Carey as backups this year and gives Carey another year to develop. I obviously think Carey has a lot more upside than this kid. 3, 6-11 kids going at each other during practice can’t be a bad thing is this is the exact type of center JB likes for whatever reason. Very raw and JB wants to develop him. He’s 6-11, 240 which is a big dude and he can run very well for that size and is actually pretty athletic for that size. He probably won’t be much more than a serviceable back up here but do we really need him to be anymore than that. He seems like a solid rim protector, can rebound well and he’s a big body in the middle of the zone which we need for our defense.

Not every player that comes through this program is going to be a starter. Not every player is recruited to be a starter here. Sometimes you need players to fit certain roles to help complete a team and that is exactly what this kid is. Do I think he’s a great player…no…do I think he’ll ever start here…no….do I think he fits a role we need and can be a serviceable back up…yes.

Obviously I’d want every player to be a stud but that’s not the case. I’m fine with this. I thought the staff was just going to leave scholarships open and not fill them if I’m being honest which is criminal and incompetent to be honest so glad to see they are actually still attaching the transfer market. I still think we need a solid transfer forward then I’ll feel a lot better but I don’t think the staff is going to do that which is a shame

Not sure why people are disappointed. There was nothing in the portal for a 6"10 to 7-foot big body who was willing to come in for ten minutes max. Why not take a chance on this kid who JAB and staff can shape. Smart kid. Inexperienced. Workout warrior. Great wingspan. I won't go crazy but this would be like a very inexperienced Rony Seikaly showing up at JAB's doorstep, but obviously not Rony. We all know these kids take a lot of time to develop. He is a great mound of clay hoping someone is able to mold him.
I think you're looking at this the right way. If you feel you have to take a shot, Midas whale look at a good character dude with the right measurables.

I think the unsettling part is if you think too much about this it raises some persistent questions about the state of the program.

Here's hoping if he's the staff's choice that we get him and he helps.

I think you're looking at this the right way. If you feel you have to take a shot, Midas whale look at a good character dude with the right measurables.

I think the unsettling part is if you think too much about this it raises some persistent questions about the state of the program.

Here's hoping if he's the staff's choice that we get him and he helps.
Plus I think you hit it on the head with "good character dudes". I think JAB likes finding these kids from Africa who turn out to be great students and great ambassadors for the program. Unfortunately none are Olajuwon. But I wouldn't think anyone would trade guys like Kueth Duany, Baye Moussa Keita, Pascal Chukwu, Bourama Sidibe or Jon Bol Ajak. All great teammates and contributors in their own way.

There were plenty of options in the portal who could start at the four and move to the five when needed to. I agree that we probably weren’t going to find anyone better to come be a backup center but we absolutely could have gotten a much better basketball player.

The freshmen better be good
I don’t know what JB’s rationale was for not doing exactly what you said—find a talented PF/center combo. But you never know with these lower level D1 kids. He has the wingspan and size for the zone and could develop into something down the road. We just need a backup center at this point in case Carey or Malik aren’t ready to contribute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom