Class of 2020 - C Mounir Hima (NJ) Transfer from Duquesne/COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Mounir Hima (NJ) Transfer from Duquesne/COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still cannot believe what is tolerated by this fan base.

Syracuse University is recruiting a kid who is getting looks from exactly ZERO high major programs. And exactly ZERO high-mid major programs.

Syracuse University is recruiting a kid who averaged 1.9 points and 2.8 rebounds per game for a team that was 6-24 last year and nearly went winless in the Atlantic 10 -- a league that is not close to the ACC in terms of level and depth of talent.

I'm seriously at a loss. If this is the kid we have coming in, I'd much rather Carey play the minutes. Or pretty much anyone.

I'm happy the staff is going after another center. At 6 11 and 240 how can't we happy about that. I have more confidence given how well Griffin has developed our centers most recently with Edwards and Frankie. We should be happy about this!

I'm happy the staff is going after another center. At 6 11 and 240 how can't we happy about that. I have more confidence given how well Griffin has developed our centers most recently with Edwards and Frankie. We should be happy about this!
Yeah this is the other part for me. Griff has proven he can develop guys. In terms of developing his guys and recruiting. Griff is low key a very good assistant and does not get enough credit. I’m not sure how we is Xs and Os wise but if his role as an assistant is to recruit and develop the big guys, he does it well.

I actually like this guy as a backup better than the dude from Fl St.
Yep
I still cannot believe what is tolerated by this fan base.

Syracuse University is recruiting a kid who is getting looks from exactly ZERO high major programs. And exactly ZERO high-mid major programs.

Syracuse University is recruiting a kid who averaged 1.9 points and 2.8 rebounds per game for a team that was 6-24 last year and nearly went winless in the Atlantic 10 -- a league that is not close to the ACC in terms of level and depth of talent.

I'm seriously at a loss. If this is the kid we have coming in, I'd much rather Carey play the minutes. Or pretty much anyone.
I mean...it's for a backup center role as others have stated likely 10-12 mins a game tops if that even happens consistently. I imagine most kids in the portal are looking for starting roles and or significant minutes. Regardless of what any staff could sweet talk someone with, they look at Jesse, look at the frosh coming in and probably think "it might be tough to see much time on the floor". Not only would they have to better than the incumbent starter they'd have to be humble and realistic enough to say "maybe I'm not better than that dude right now". Not even to speak of handlers whom might be trying to get some cut of a pro contract overseas or elsewhere in the future. Some people get bad advice, some kids don't know they're role and what's realistic. A lot of things going against someone who's trying to usurp one of the better Cs in the ACC next season.

Yep

I mean...it's for a backup center role as others have stated likely 10-12 mins a game tops if that even happens consistently. I imagine most kids in the portal are looking for starting roles and or significant minutes. Regardless of what any staff could sweet talk someone with, they look at Jesse, look at the frosh coming in and probably think "it might be tough to see much time on the floor". Not only would they have to better than the incumbent starter they'd have to be humble and realistic enough to say "maybe I'm not better than that dude right now". Not even to speak of handlers whom might be trying to get some cut of a pro contract overseas or elsewhere in the future. Some people get bad advice, some kids don't know they're role and what's realistic. A lot of things going against someone who's trying to usurp one of the better Cs in the ACC next season.
If Carey is as good as people think he is, then what's the difference between him and this kid? Playing 21 games on a bad team? OK. Is he more talented? If he's not, then why not play the kid you have coming in? And if Griff is such a big-man guru, why can't he get Carey up to speed with everything as he will with this guy?

If Carey is as good as people think he is, then what's the difference between him and this kid? Playing 21 games on a bad team? OK. Is he more talented? If he's not, then why not play the kid you have coming in? And if Griff is such a big-man guru, why can't he get Carey up to speed with everything as he will with this guy?
Carey hasn’t played high level basketball in like 2 years outside of last summer.

I never said Griff was a guru, never said Carey was gonna shock people nor do I have too high of expectations for a kid coming off injury and is a true frosh. This kid has in game experience albeit at a lower competition level than the ACC overall, but he's not a kid coming off 2 years of injuries either, and he's not someone who's played 0 minutes of D1 ball. People wanted a viable bigman to spot Jesse minutes as a backup at least, here he is. Nobody is expecting him to become a star or anything more than that. The rest is simply kids and parents looking at our roster construction and thinking unless they're a clear cut above Jesse (few would be at this point) why would you come here and not get the minutes they (deservedly or not) believe they should get?

Coach Griff has made Edwards a top ACC center, and he took Anselem who didn't even start on his HS team and made him a servicble player. Carey has all the tools to be a Edwards type of player by his Late Sophomore Early Junior year IMO. This kid has the athletic ability to be a decent back up, and thats really all we need, while Carey develops .

This was a good one…intentional or should I question what you do on your phone in your free
Time?
Common internet commenter language.

Not one I get to use often, the opportunity presented itself, and I took it.

I never said Griff was a guru, never said Carey was gonna shock people nor do I have too high of expectations for a kid coming off injury and is a true frosh. This kid has in game experience albeit at a lower competition level than the ACC overall, but he's not a kid coming off 2 years of injuries either, and he's not someone who's played 0 minutes of D1 ball. People wanted a viable bigman to spot Jesse minutes as a backup at least, here he is. Nobody is expecting him to become a star or anything more than that. The rest is simply kids and parents looking at our roster construction and thinking unless they're a clear cut above Jesse (few would be at this point) why would you come here and not get the minutes they (deservedly or not) believe they should get?
No, he is not a viable big man. He was getting spot minutes at Duquesne - 6-24 in A-10 - last year. You're saying he's going to take a MASSIVE step up in competition and get the same spot minutes at SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY? What on earth are people seeing?

Do people realize that Power 5 schools across the country are in the same spot as Syracuse? Looking to fill out their roster with individuals they believe will play roles within their team?

Here are a few examples from last year:

Yor Anei - Transfer from Oklahoma State to SMU to DePaul. Was starter for 2 years at Oklahoma State. Came off the bench at the other two. 6-11 C.

Oumar Ballo - Transfer from Gonzaga to Arizona. Didn't play much at Gonzaga. Played more as a sophomore at Arizona, but was still a bench player. Has not started a game in career. This kid had comparable numbers to Duquesne center at a much higher level. 7-0 C.

Joey Brunk - Transfer from Indiana to Ohio State. Averaged 7.6 mpg after starting 31 games at Indiana. Agreed to go to a Power 5 team and play a backup role. 6-11 C.

Ralph Gonzales-Agee - Transfer from San Jose State - Averaged 26 mpg at San Jose State. 11.1 ppg. Transferred to Rutgers and played 17 games in a backup role and averaged 7 mpg.

These are 4 examples at the position of need. If I had more time I'm sure I could get plenty more.

I would rather save the scholarship for the next coach whenever the hell that is. Just play Carey if you think he is physically available

No, he is not a viable big man. He was getting spot minutes at Duquesne - 6-24 in A-10 - last year. You're saying he's going to take a MASSIVE step up in competition and get the same spot minutes at SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY? What on earth are people seeing?

Do people realize that Power 5 schools across the country are in the same spot as Syracuse? Looking to fill out their roster with individuals they believe will play roles within their team?

Yor Anei - Transfer from Oklahoma State to SMU to DePaul. Was starter for 2 years at Oklahoma State. Came off the bench at the other two. 6-11 C.

Oumar Ballo - Transfer from Gonzaga to Arizona. Didn't play much at Gonzaga. Played more as a sophomore at Arizona, but was still a bench player. Has not started a game in career. This kid had comparable numbers to Duquesne center at a much higher level. 7-0 C.

Joey Brunk - Transfer from Indiana to Ohio State. Averaged 7.6 mpg after starting 31 games at Indiana. Agreed to go to a Power 5 team and play a backup role. 6-11 C.

Ralph Gonzales-Agee - Transfer from San Jose State - Averaged 26 mpg at San Jose State. 11.1 ppg. Transferred to Rutgers and played 17 games in a backup role and averaged 7 mpg.

This is 4 examples at the position of need.
Yeah, well, Jimmy played more minutes here per game than he did at Cornell, so anything is possible.

This is gross. Waste of a scholly. This is the best we can attract in the portal nowadays? Embarrassing.

Yeah, well, Jimmy played more minutes here per game than he did at Cornell, so anything is possible.
And was a productive player there.

If he is going to come to Syracuse and be the primary backup - a position he held and did nothing with at a 6-24 school in the A-10 - then what is the point?

These are 4 examples at the position of need. If I had more time I'm sure I could get plenty more.
You seem to underestimate our ability/willingness to play in the portal. There are options out there if you put in the work.

And was a productive player there.

If he is going to come to Syracuse and be the primary backup - a position he held and did nothing with at a 6-24 school in the A-10 - then what is the point?
I'm not disagreeing with you.

This was a good one…intentional or should I question what you do on your phone in your free
Time?
So I looked it up and I guess it's a Barstool thing?

Now I regret it.

I mean, I highly doubt this kid turns down a golden ticket offered by Willy Wonka Boeheim; but, what if he doesn't even commit to us?

You seem to underestimate our ability/willingness to play in the portal. There are options out there if you put in the work.
I think I understand you're point but you worded it weird.

We definitely aren't interested in playing in the portal. And it is a severe hinderance to this program.

Add it to the laundry list of reasons we need a coaching change.

Common internet commenter language.

Not one I get to use often, the opportunity presented itself, and I took it.

Be my guest to add to the list. It's all kids portaling to play 10 minutes at best a game. I'm not sure pointing to a few examples of a P5 kid transferring to another P5 to play the exact same or significantly less minutes proves much of a point. Who did you think we could get to come to play spot backup C minutes at best, not seeing the floor at worst? A former 5 star? It's a back up role.

The frontcourt is going to be rough next season but still: Hima and Carey should equate to like 1 quality backup center. The sum of their parts.

The frontcourt is going to be rough next season but still: Hima and Carey should equate to like 1 quality backup center. The sum of their parts.
You don' t want a freshman who is still recovering from injuries, and is a beanpole as your backup center. The best thing for Carey would be to red shirt, and get stronger before he plays in this league.

Perhaps they would like to play Carey at PF, and recruiting this center gives them the possibility of doing that. All you really require playing center in zone is a good defensive center and rebounder. If kid developes you go that route if not he gives you 10 minutes and five fouls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom