Class of 2014 - C Paschal Chukwu (CT) Verballed to Syracuse | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 C Paschal Chukwu (CT) Verballed to Syracuse

Is everyone sure that Paschal Chuckwu would count against the 10 scholarship max. Are we sure that it is not elligible players as he will be foreced to sit out a year?

Is everyone sure that Paschal Chuckwu would count against the 10 scholarship max. Are we sure that it is not elligible players as he will be foreced to sit out a year?
Knowing the NCAA, they likely never considered that scenario.

I'm so confused about how this would impact us regarding the scholarship reductions. I'm glad that I'm not the only one, based on reading through the last couple pages. I was just reading every Syracuse.com and Daily Orange story I could find on him, too, and they don't even mention it - which is a sign to me at least that even they don't know.

I'm so confused about how this would impact us regarding the scholarship reductions. I'm glad that I'm not the only one, based on reading through the last couple pages. I was just reading every Syracuse.com and Daily Orange story I could find on him, too, and they don't even mention it - which is a sign to me at least that even they don't know.
I'm really surprised that it hasn't come up. The only thing I can think of, not counting any help from the NCAA, is that, either, we wait for the NCAA to give us one ship back and that is what Battle is waiting for, or we are taking Chukwu and we move onto 2017 and hopefully either Gilbert or Huerter. I don't see any other possibilities. I'm going to send Donna an email.

Assuming that if he comes here, we would push the beginning of the sanctions back until 2016-17.

This is great on a couple of fronts IMO.

First its hard to imagine any of the big guys we are involved with in 16 being able to come in contribute more than Chukwu will. He is a legit 7' shot blocker who will have had a season @ Prov and a season of practice @ SU. It's a huge advantage for playing the zone and strength, conditioning and maturity.

Second it means that scholarship relief is expected by the staff. At least enough that pushing off sanctions for another year doesn't bother try hem. We rarely carried 13 ship players so even 11 would really loosen thing up for us. 12 is almost not a penalty for how we usually do things.

Assuming that if he comes here, we would push the beginning of the sanctions back until 2016-17.
Yes, that is a possibility. I never would have thought it was a viable option though. But what do I know.

I'm really surprised that it hasn't come up. The only thing I can think of, not counting any help from the NCAA, is that, either, we wait for the NCAA to give us one ship back and that is what Battle is waiting for, or we are taking Chukwu and we move onto 2017 and hopefully either Gilbert or Huerter. I don't see any other possibilities. I'm going to send Donna an email.
At least 3 players will be gone from this upcoming season for 2016-2017, so we should be ok even with Chukwu.

BTW I think this is more indicative of Coleman's last year being this year than it is anything of Obokoh. Coleman weather healthy or not likely graduates and moves on IMO. If he has a healthy season what is the point of risking injury another season in college. Start getting paid overseas somewhere.

BTW I think this is more indicative of Coleman's last year being this year than it is anything of Obokoh. Coleman weather healthy or not likely graduates and moves on IMO. If he has a healthy season what is the point of risking injury another season in college. Start getting paid overseas somewhere.
Gotta think this is the case.

I think this all means that between Coleman, an expected early departure (Roberson? ) as well as some positive feedback for a getting a scholly back-we can make these moves and still be fine with #s. One thing is for sure, we gunna be a BIG team across the board. Think I read somewhere that Pikachu has a 7'8" wingspan. ..and that was 2-3 yrs ago

I meant he is joining in 15-16 but sits. That is not what was tweeted.

From the text of the DO Article:

Chukwu would have to sit out the 2015-16 season due to NCAA transfer rules but would have three years of eligibility left. He was ranked No. 61 in the Class of 2014 by and as a freshman, averaged 2.6 points, 2.4 rebounds and blocked 23 shots.

Clearly the DO means that he wouldn't become a "playing" member of the team until 2016-17.

From the text of the DO Article:

Chukwu would have to sit out the 2015-16 season due to NCAA transfer rules but would have three years of eligibility left. He was ranked No. 61 in the Class of 2014 by . . . . . . . . . . and as a freshman, averaged 2.6 points, 2.4 rebounds and blocked 23 shots.

Clearly the DO means that he wouldn't become a "playing" member of the team until 2016-17.
Unless there is a loophole that he goes to OCC for a year. Never heard that really happening in basketball, but I think it's happened in football. Regardless, this would be the first commit since the sanctions have come out so congrats to the staff.