Class of 2014 - C Paschal Chukwu (CT) Verballed to Syracuse | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 C Paschal Chukwu (CT) Verballed to Syracuse

I am wondering if they only have to count active scholarship players toward the 10, if that is the case they take him on and they will loose someone else naturally or buy not offering a scholarship back. If that is the case Colman or Obokoh will leave one way or another depending on what happens this season with them. If they gave up this year at 10 for this guy he better be better than he showed at Providence.

Also I do not believe he has to go to school at SU for the year he sits, so maybe he is going to move to Syracuse and not take classes, if the scholarship counts. That would be something, I hope it is that he is not an eligible player so he does not count.

Also I do not believe he has to go to school at SU for the year he sits, so maybe he is going to move to Syracuse and not take classes, if the scholarship counts. That would be something, I hope it is that he is not an eligible player so he does not count.

Per NCAA regulations, he has to be enrolled at SU for one year before he becomes eligible again.

14.5.1 Residence Requirement—General Principle.
A student who transfers (see Bylaw 14.5.2) to a member institution from any collegiate institution is required to complete one full academic year of residence (see Bylaw 14.02.15) at the certifying institution before being eligible to compete for or to receive travel expenses from the member institution

14.02.15 Residence.
Residence is enrollment in a full-time academic program (as defined by the institution) at a collegiate institution during a regular term of an academic year
. A summer term may not be used to satisfy an academic term of residence. Any student-athlete (e.g., qualifier, nonqualifier, transfer student) admitted after the 12th class day may not use that semester or quarter for the purpose of satisfying an academic term or year of residence. (Revised: 4/14/10)

Sign him up!! Word is at least one scholarship given back! Still room for Battle...I think it's a great pickup. Has experience, can practice this year and learn the zone. Next year will be special.

Staff must feel he is going to be worth giving up a easy year of limiting sholarships if he counts against this year.

Sign him up!! Word is at least one scholarship given back! Still room for Battle...I think it's a great pickup. Has experience, can practice this year and learn the zone. Next year will be special.
Where are you hearing that?

BOOM.
http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske...ce_transfer_will_attend_syracuse_reports.html

Seven Two in the middle of the zone ... great news, and not a moment too soon.

It'll be cray cray, with Chukwu
So the headline spells his name Chuckwu but the article spells it Chukwu. I thought it was Chukwu and I suppose it's pronounced Chooookwu as opposed to Chuck Wuuulory. Either way, hope it's a huge Love Connection and we will be back in 2 and 2.
th

Per NCAA regulations, he has to be enrolled at SU for one year before he becomes eligible again.

14.5.1 Residence Requirement—General Principle.
A student who transfers (see Bylaw 14.5.2) to a member institution from any collegiate institution is required to complete one full academic year of residence (see Bylaw 14.02.15) at the certifying institution before being eligible to compete for or to receive travel expenses from the member institution

14.02.15 Residence.
Residence is enrollment in a full-time academic program (as defined by the institution) at a collegiate institution during a regular term of an academic year
. A summer term may not be used to satisfy an academic term of residence. Any student-athlete (e.g., qualifier, nonqualifier, transfer student) admitted after the 12th class day may not use that semester or quarter for the purpose of satisfying an academic term or year of residence. (Revised: 4/14/10)

Yes, he has to come in and attend class for one year before he becomes eligible. And that counts against the scholarship limits. We're at 10 currently, Chukwu brings us to 11 for the upcoming season. That means either someone else is leaving (unlikely at this point), we're going to delay scholarship limits, or we achieve a reduction in the limits on appeal.

Per the DO:

The addition of Chukwu should bring Syracuse's total number of scholarships next year to 11. Syracuse is supposed to get down to 10 to comply with NCAA sanctions but those sanctions don't start until after the NCAA rules on the school's appeal. If Syracuse is over the scholarship limit when the sanctions kick in, the Orange's three-year [sic] reduction in scholarships would be delayed a year and start in 2016-17.

Last edited:
Per the DO:

The addition of Chukwu should bring Syracuse's total number of scholarships next year to 11. Syracuse is supposed to get down to 10 to comply with NCAA sanctions but those sanctions don't start until after the NCAA rules on the school's appeal. If Syracuse is over the scholarship limit when the sanctions kick in, the Orange's three-year reduction in scholarships would be delayed a year and start in 2016-17.
3 year reduction?

The team is still under the normal 13-scholarship limit because the 2015 guys all signed their LOI's before the sanctions came down, so it would've been a bad look to (effectively) reneg on them. The scholarship sanctions are currently scheduled to start in 2016-17.

Including Moyer, Chukwu's commitment puts Syracuse at 10 schollies for 2016-17, though, so in order to bring in Battle, Jordan-Simmons, Gilbert, etc., they still either need to get one back on appeal or someone has to go pro or transfer.

I love shot blockers, ever since Bouie.
It's a game-changer with a guy that tall in the middle of the zone .. if he can move around. The staff obviously thinks he has the ability ... and they've seen him play. So huge development.

I know im looking far ahead and a lot can change between now and 2016-2017 season but we have the potential to see a starting unit of:

6'7 Fr Battle
6'6 So Richardson
6'9 So Lydon
6'9 So Diange/ 6'8 Sr. Roberson
7'2 RSo Pikachu

We would also have a pretty good bench too with KJ, Moyer, and whoever doesn't start at PF.