Class of 2022 - C Peter Carey (MA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 32 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 C Peter Carey (MA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carey will be fine over time but he lacks basketball skills. Right now he is tall, athletic and coordinated. Those are great pluses, something to be excited about, and generally means he's loaded with "potential." As high as Fab was ranked, to me he didn't look much better than Jesse in both their freshman years. We have been able to develop raw talented bigs over time and I think we can get Carey's skill level up to where he contribute meaningfully by his second year and hopefully be an impact player by his third year. I don't see him playing much his freshman year other than garbage time or if we have a man or men down and become desperate. At this point all he can give us is spectacular open dunks and block shots against weaker competition (exhibition games and SOME of the early season cream puff teams).

I think your first sentence is 100% incorrect.

Went down a rabbit hole this morning to take a look at Edwards tape when he committed. Edwards was about 20 pounds lighter and didn't look like nearly the athlete Carey is. If you just look at this kids tools there is a lot to work with here.
I was skeptical of Edwards as a recruit and optimistic-ish about Carey. I don't think Edwards at IMG was all that similar to Carey to be honest. Both tall and skinny, but Carey is clearly a much better athlete with a much more limited skillset (at least as of the last time we saw him play).

I'm somewhat hopeful the injury may have actually helped Carey's development; it doesn't always work out that way, but sometimes when your game relies almost purely on you running and jumping and suddenly you can't do that for a long period of time, you're forced to almost solely focus on the other parts of your game and that could work out to his benefit.

Edit: Adding on to this: his skillset would be fine for the C spot if he can physically hold up in the middle of the zone. I don't think he'll be able to do that on Day 1, and even long-term, I'm a bit skeptical of him manning the middle. I just don't think he has the frame to add a ton of weight to his body and he was pushed around by much smaller high schoolers than he'll be dealing with in college. His skillset isn't where it needs to be if he's going to be playing next to a true center like Edwards, but defensively, he's a better fit on the wing than in the middle of the zone for now. Really curious to see if we prioritize developing him for PF or C.

Last edited:
I would be more confident in him being ready from the jump if there was more info on him, more buzz, and a higher ranking. This stuff doesn't happen in a vacuum, context matters. If a bunch of knuckleheads on an internet sports forum look at some old video and think he's ready to go, then scouting services would be all over him as well as other coaches. Athletic 7-ish footers don't grow on trees. Think Chet Holmgren at one end of the spectrum, that kid was ticketed for the NBA from his sophomore year (even if every time he jumps, I think he's going to break both his legs when he lands). Lydon was kind of under the radar, but he played in a tough league, was a top-100 recruit, and had a pile of high D1 offers.

Carey has potential, no doubt, but there's a long way to go here.

I would be more confident in him being ready from the jump if there was more info on him, more buzz, and a higher ranking. This stuff doesn't happen in a vacuum, context matters. If a bunch of knuckleheads on an internet sports forum look at some old video and think he's ready to go, then scouting services would be all over him as well as other coaches. Athletic 7-ish footers don't grow on trees. Think Chet Holmgren at one end of the spectrum, that kid was ticketed for the NBA from his sophomore year (even if every time he jumps, I think he's going to break both his legs when he lands). Lydon was kind of under the radar, but he played in a tough league, was a top-100 recruit, and had a pile of high D1 offers.

Lydon also played on a USA Basketball U17 team alongside a bunch of elite, blue chip recruits and held his own. Led the team in rebounding, and flashed being an elite shot blocker [as we later saw in both regards]. Plus, playing in the NEPSAC.

I was pretty sure that he was going to solid. I was scared about him having to play in the pivot freshman year because he was so skinny, but he dispelled those concerns.

If Carey didn't get injured his recruiting status would have been way higher and the current power programs and the bag men would have been on him and the chances of Syracuse landing him would've been much lower.

Lydon also played on a USA Basketball U17 team alongside a bunch of elite, blue chip recruits and held his own. Led the team in rebounding, and flashed being an elite shot blocker [as we later saw in both regards]. Plus, playing in the NEPSAC.

I was pretty sure that he was going to solid. I was scared about him having to play in the pivot freshman year because he was so skinny, but he dispelled those concerns.
Yep. I remember he had NBA buzz from Jonathan Givony (maybe still the leader at DraftExpress at the time before he took over for ESPN) before he had even stepped foot on campus here.

I was skeptical of Edwards as a recruit and optimistic-ish about Carey. I don't think Edwards at IMG was all that similar to Carey to be honest. Both tall and skinny, but Carey is clearly a much better athlete with a much more limited skillset (at least as of the last time we saw him play).

I'm somewhat hopeful the injury may have actually helped Carey's development; it doesn't always work out that way, but sometimes when your game relies almost purely on you running and jumping and suddenly you can't do that for a long period of time, you're forced to almost solely focus on the other parts of your game and that could work out to his benefit.

Edit: Adding on to this: his skillset would be fine for the C spot if he can physically hold up in the middle of the zone. I don't think he'll be able to do that on Day 1, and even long-term, I'm a bit skeptical of him manning the middle. I just don't think he has the frame to add a ton of weight to his body and he was pushed around by much smaller high schoolers than he'll be dealing with in college. His skillset isn't where it needs to be if he's going to be playing next to a true center like Edwards, but defensively, he's a better fit on the wing than in the middle of the zone for now. Really curious to see if we prioritize developing him for PF or C.
TBC I wasn't comparing them at all. I was using Edwards as a baseline. No doubt Carey is a way better athlete and he's bigger than Edwards was at this stage. I think we forget how skinny Jesse was. When we originally started signed him he was listed at 190 lbs.

I was scared about him having to play in the pivot freshman year because he was so skinny, but he dispelled those concerns.
I'd say he dispelled the concerns somewhat - our interior defense that year with him at the 5 was poor

If Carey didn't get injured his recruiting status would have been way higher and the current power programs and the bag men would have been on him and the chances of Syracuse landing him would've been much lower.
If you feel that way, you don't think that someone else whose job is to recruit superior players would have felt that way as well?

The only other offer he got that resonates with me is from Iona.

His AAU coach has seen him play.

Evaluation: "I think his biggest attribute on the offensive end, and I'm not a genius here because other people that see him play will say the same thing, is his athletic ability and his ability to play above the rim. Finish above the rim. Finish dunks above the rim. Rebound the ball above the rim. Finish it high above the rim. That's his strongest points offensively right now. The way he runs the court, you don't see a lot of 7-1 dudes running the court the way he runs it. I think his biggest strength (defensively), by far, is his timing," Shapiro said. "His timing on blocking shots. I've coached a lot of kids, a lot of D1 kids, I've coached all levels. I've never seen anybody time, the timing especially from the weak side to make the help side block." -- Carey's AAU Coach Jesse Shapiro.
Syracuse has long been able to be successful with a center incapable of scoring more than the occasional transition dunk, offensive rebound, etc.

What we can't seem to succeed without is a strong defensive presence that takes away the easy layups and offensive rebounds.

Carey is described as the guy who can go up and get the rebound higher than the other guy and block shots at a high rate.

Carey won't need to score if he can rebound and he a rim protector, perhaps even right out of the gate. Sure, he'll get pushed around at first, but if he can battle at least as well as Dolezaj did, that might be ok with JB for a few minutes a half while Edwards needs rest.

If you feel that way, you don't think that someone else whose job is to recruit superior players would have felt that way as well?

The only other offer he got that resonates with me is from Iona.
Most of the top programs don't go after injured guys or even developmental guys, they get the top rated recruits or go to the portal. Also, the style of play on many other teams doesn't put such a premium on being 7'1", they want big bangers. Carey is made for the Syracuse system.

Syracuse has long been able to be successful with a center incapable of scoring more than the occasional transition dunk, offensive rebound, etc.

What we can't seem to succeed without is a strong defensive presence that takes away the easy layups and offensive rebounds.

Carey is described as the guy who can go up and get the rebound higher than the other guy and block shots at a high rate.

Carey won't need to score if he can rebound and he a rim protector, perhaps even right out of the gate. Sure, he'll get pushed around at first, but if he can battle at least as well as Dolezaj did, that might be ok with JB for a few minutes a half while Edwards needs rest.
It always has confused me why the coaches don't have 3, 7" plus guys on the team at the 5. they don't need the physical specimens, they need slim built intelligent guys with good hands and who are athletic. I think they should use the last scholarship to get another 7' foot guy, a Euro or African player who could redshirt and develop for 2 or 3 years.

I think everyone agrees barring some surprise portal activity we are going to be running with what horses are currently in the stable. With that in mind if Carey earns minutes it's not because he is a 4th year version of Rak. It's because he is doing 1 or 2 things well enough. For example in backup minutes at center if we got 4 to 6 boards, alter some shots and a couple dunks. If year 1 is nothing but focus on defense kinda thing I could see Carey providing some value there. Some defensive energy.
The main issue there is we aren't likely to be getting much/any offense from the forward spots either so once Edwards sits, we are going to be in rough shape on the offensive end. Not Carey's fault but it could get real ugly on that end in those mins.

Went down a rabbit hole this morning to take a look at Edwards tape when he committed. Edwards was about 20 pounds lighter and didn't look like nearly the athlete Carey is. If you just look at this kids tools there is a lot to work with here.
I said it before but I'll say it again IMPACT PLAYER FROM DAY 1

Hope you are right however you have also described yourself using these words:
"But I'm also an idiot with a well-documented history of bad judgment, so we'll see."

Hope you are right however you have also described yourself using these words:
"But I'm also an idiot with a well-documented history of bad judgment, so we'll see."
Look, I'm a lot.

We know this.

He'll score because we'll have two guards who can and will get him the ball in situations that will make him effective.

I don't think he's as 'raw' as he's being portrayed here. He's just unproven. That's how i'm going to look at it, until Exhibition 1. He's the diamond still in the sifting pan.

???? That’s not what the poster commented on nor my response. It was solely about the above the rim comment.
No desire to debate this, however you responded to a poster talking about playing time for him next year, that may not have been your intent.

No desire to debate this, however you responded to a poster talking about playing time for him next year, that may not have been your intent.

Here’s his complete post which I responded to. Where does it even mention PT?

“Uh, well - I can tell you from personal experience, it is super damn hard to finish dunks below the rim.

So, I guess he’s got that going for him.
Which is nice.”

Here’s his complete post which I responded to. Where does it even mention PT?

“Uh, well - I can tell you from personal experience, it is super damn hard to finish dunks below the rim.

So, I guess he’s got that going for him.
Which is nice.”
I get that that is the post you think you responded to, however if you look back to your post #746 in response to post #745, that post #745 is definitely about PT, and is not the post you are saying you responded to. Maybe a mistake easy to make here, no big deal in any case.

I get that that is the post you think you responded to, however if you look back to your post #746 in response to post #745, that post #745 is definitely about PT, and is not the post you are saying you responded to. Maybe a mistake easy to make here, no big deal in any case.

Except I was responding to comstocks post 750 and that’s my post that you responded to. No big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom