Class of 2020 - C Quincy Ballard (NY) Transferring from FSU to Wichita St | Page 64 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Quincy Ballard (NY) Transferring from FSU to Wichita St

Can Red find another late in the cycle Euro guy to develop like Jesse and Marek.

I’m also in the camp of this being better for us.

Akok would be a fit but I do worry that he wants more PT than being a backup 4/5.

So if we are back to square one with a portal PF/C, how would you prioritize the desired abilities…

A) Defense
B) Rebounding
C) Inside Scoring
D) Outside Scoring

I’m also in the camp of this being better for us.

Akok would be a fit but I do worry that he wants more PT than being a backup 4/5.
And the question still remains...why are we just assuming that role for him? Benny being the #1 guy should not be promised and the pitch to Akok should be to come in and compete with the other forwards and also back up center minutes. Best players play. We suck at this if we are afraid to sell players on coming in to compete. Nothing should be set in stone and we should be recruiting with one thing in mind...win games!

So if we are back to square one with a portal PF/C, how would you prioritize the desired abilities…

A) Defense
B) Rebounding
C) Inside Scoring
D) Outside Scoring
Rebounding has to be the top priority. Even being optimistic about our forwards they are all relatively undersized and controlling the glass is going to take all 5 guys being committed. Any rebounding help we can get will be welcomed.

Defense a close second but with how much we’re asking our center to cover (free throw line and contest both corners), it’s a huge ask.

And the question still remains...why are we just assuming that role for him? Benny being the #1 guy should not be promised and the pitch to Akok should be to come in and compete with the other forwards and also back up center minutes. Best players play. We suck at this if we are afraid to sell players on coming in to compete. Nothing should be set in stone and we should be recruiting with one thing in mind...win games!
I believe it was dasher that confirmed this but it sounds like Benny was all but guaranteed a starting spot to stay and get Mintz to commit.

Yeah there is plenty of minutes to sell Akok at the 3,4 & 5. The 1 forward position is open, the back up position at the 5 is empty, and back up min to Benny (this is assuming Benny is functional next year, which is a big assumption at this point) is also open. There is plenty of time for him next year if he was looking to land at a P5 school

At the moment, we don’t have any starting forwards returning. That’s the message to send to portal players. If current players don’t like the sound of that, they have until May 1 to go in the portal. Stop coddling players and get some talent. If you want me to buy season tickets, you better go and get the best talent possible.

I believe it was dasher that confirmed this but it sounds like Benny was all but guaranteed a starting spot to stay and get Mintz to commit.
Oh I know...its one thing to tell a kid the spot is there for the taking...hate promising it. Recruit players to make the team as good as possible and let everything get decided on the court. Blows my mind that we seem to be settling. Really hope the incoming freshman play like studs and Benny takes a huge leap.

He is there is an open spot next to him.available.

The staff being surprised by the decision of a recruit? SHOCKER. In all seriousness, this staff seems to be surprised a bit too often by these kind of decisions
Eh there’s more at play here. Wichita State is a dumpster fire choice after heading to Tallahassee for no run for 2 years. This is a backyard kid. Frankly I was surprised they wasted their time.

All fixed. Your kidding, right?
Anybody who is ready to contribute is going to pull a stunt like we just saw. Jesse will just have to iron man it, Bacot did it so can he. Carey can go 5 minutes or so against big centers and JBA can get more time against teams with smaller centers.