Class of 2020 - C Quincy Ballard (NY) Transferring from FSU to Wichita St | Page 52 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Quincy Ballard (NY) Transferring from FSU to Wichita St

I agree w you

Yet JB insisted on playing Marek at center in 20-21, he sees no difference between being skinny and being a Bacot
Like the game last night. When Bacot went out they sent the ball down low and Kansas center took it to Manek and for all intents and purposes, ended the game. Sidibe got hurt in 20-21 in the first game, there was no guy like Ballard to turn to.

And we have seen others be better. See Oshae and Marek. There's two sides to every coin.
Marek wasn't ranked so I don't even remember what the expectations were. Every now and then someone out plays there ranking as a freshman but more struggle at first. What is the harm in bringing in someone in the portal and adding talent?

Marek wasn't ranked so I don't even remember what the expectations were. Every now and then someone out plays there ranking as a freshman but more struggle at first. What is the harm in bringing in someone in the portal and adding talent?
There isn't. We ideally should get a forward, but I won't be fatalistic if we don't. I think the criticism of some of the guys in the class has reached the point where we now may be underrating them.

so who do you think you would get for a 10 minute at best stint? It's easy to say so many better players but not so easy when you think about who would sign up for a clear back up/break glass role. the options become very limited.

Cuse!
i dont understand why it has to be that though...kentucky and duke and etc etc recruit deep rosters full of starter caliber players - baylor won last year with 4 starting caliber guards, if not 5.

i think this assumption is indeed how the staff sees it - theres a backup 10 minute role available - and they recruit to that peception sometimes instead of just going for the best available...and stacking the roster - so then it seems thats all they could ever do...

but why not sell it as come in and battle for minutes we need 2 starting caliber players at every position...15, 25, 30 mins a game - not really a huge difference there...

the most recent best syracuse roster i can remember went 10. 11 deep...it is possible.

Looking up our guys, QB is in the 300s ranking wise on 247. JBA was ranked 480. Just hoping he truly is a hidden gem. Outside his size and offers just not much there to go off of. Again though if staff is all about him then I hope they have it right.
I thought he moved well in our game vs fsu at the dome. Needs to stay on his feet a bit more defensively. There’s something there at least. It’s not like a chino obokoh or jba…

That is a best case scenario in my opinion. If he can be a beefy, better hands and more coordinated version of Chukwu then great for us.
I miss Chewy prancing down the court

Leonard Hamilton has done well identifying and bringing in bigs. He and JB have a good relationship. I honestly don't think LH would steer JB wrong if he felt Ballard wasn't a P5 player.
ive thought about that angle too, I agree. would bet theyve talked. just like jb did with jay wright about swider...its weird considering how competitive they are in general that there would be such cameraderie in something like this..but i think these coaches really truly want their players to reach their best potential...and lh probably knows that ballard would be well served going to su.

Came back across this one tonight. Forgot about the original commitment in the driveway with BILLY...
Screenshot_20220405-210939_Twitter.jpg

Bottom line.. we need both a backup center and a proven forward. IMO It’s no real use debating which one is more important, because both of them are keys to a good season next year. If we plan on being a winning squad and get back in the tournament that is.

Also it’s pretty clear which direction the staff is moving in, with QB visiting and I don’t blame them. We need to have a backup center just at a pure roster management level. If Jesse were to go down, without a true backup center, it’s an automatic disaster. Worst case scenario, is that we have a Bunch of young unproven forwards vying to prove themselves and earn minutes in the rotation...maybe 2 or 3 of them rise to the top?

I think the staff locks down Quincy Ballards commitment on the visit. And from here on out we’ll have to hope that either JBA or Chaz transfer out and that we pursue a higher level forward, the spot is open!

Came back across this one tonight. Forgot about the original commitment in the driveway with BILLY...
View attachment 216341
I don’t know what the best part about this is, the karaoke machine, the fact that they didn’t move the car and boat out of the driveway, the table that looks like it is set up for a yard sale, The fact that they were more than willing to put their home address out on the Internet, his mom taking a picture of the person taking the picture, it’s all fantastic. Imagine opting for this announcement scenario over a crowded gym at his high school.

I don’t know what the best part about this is, the karaoke machine, the fact that they didn’t move the car and boat out of the driveway, the table that looks like it is set up for a yard sale, The fact that they were more than willing to put their home address out on the Internet, his mom taking a picture of the person taking the picture, it’s all fantastic. Imagine opting for this announcement scenario over a crowded gym at his high school.

Ballard committed a month after the pandemic began and attended prep school. Don't really see what other options there could have been, considering the circumstances.

IIRC, doesn't his mom currently or formerly worked at SU.

ive thought about that angle too, I agree. would bet theyve talked. just like jb did with jay wright about swider...its weird considering how competitive they are in general that there would be such cameraderie in something like this..but i think these coaches really truly want their players to reach their best potential...and lh probably knows that ballard would be well served going to su.
Secure coaches. Could not see the UCONN dude sharing

Have you seen jba play? Is there anyone knocking down the door hoping he goes in to the portal? Besides us, I mean. Give this nonsense a break. If we are playing jba any quality minutes, we are not going to be good.
Jon Bol knows the zone and has experience playing with the guys who will be on next years team. None of the freshman or a portal player will perform as well as him on the defensive end of the floor next season. He also can board at 6'10" and can contribute more offensive possessions. He could be a Rodman type of player and won't expect a huge role, 10-15 minutes. If he scores a little bit and his defense is superior, he could net our very well. This would give the coaches time to sort the freshman out. The freshman then can go all out and feel like their path isn't blocked and will accelerate their development.

Jon Bol knows the zone and has experience playing with the guys who will be on next years team. None of the freshman or a portal player will perform as well as him on the defensive end of the floor next season. He also can board at 6'10" and can contribute more offensive possessions. He could be a Rodman type of player and won't expect a huge role, 10-15 minutes. If he scores a little bit and his defense is superior, he could net our very well. This would give the coaches time to sort the freshman out. The freshman then can go all out and feel like their path isn't blocked and will accelerate their development.
Rodman? No. More like Jack Haley.

I really liked that Frank seemed to be stepping up at the of the season when forced into action after JE’s injury. At the same time, I was amazed at how much smaller he looked than opposing ACC centers. If we end up getting a guy who can backup at C, he has to have some bulk. The days of throwing Marek, Guerrier, and Anselm into the Center spot have to be over. Jesse is bulking up a little and hopefully will even more. Not saying we need Arinze2.0, but we need some beef to battle in there.

1649254584700.jpeg

If he can find a school to transfer to, he will be gone. Nice kid. Tries as hard as he can. But we can do a lot better.

If he can find a school to transfer to, he will be gone. Nice kid. Tries as hard as he can. But we can do a lot better.
Right if he transfers, that's great. If he doesn't, he has experience and might be of some use. Also, another mouth to feed could cause problems as well.