Cal's Ivan Rabb explains his decision to return to school | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Cal's Ivan Rabb explains his decision to return to school

Can't the schools take out an insurance policy for the athletes?

Leeds & London will insure anything. It's a question of risk. If you want to be cold and heartless, from the school's perspective, next man up is a lot cheaper.

I'm good with the player making a choice that he thinks is right. Understand the risks and rewards, and that is not one size fit all. It depends on your discipline and how you feel you will learn best.

The jump to the NBA seems to have worked out well for the 4 freshmen who left last year who were picked between 8-14 (and were in Rabb's range)

Myles Turner, who looks like a future NBA star now (he was underwhelming at Texas)
Devin Booker
Stanley Johnson, played in the rotation of a playoff team.
Justice Winslow

Each kid will make the best choice for them for their own reasons whether they be financial, just want to be out of school, feel they are ready to complete against the best of the best etc or those that want to stay in school and try to improve their stock.

I'll be honest in that I considered myself fairly mature at that age, but I don't think I would have been mentally prepared to handle a jump after 1 year of college where I would have been playing 82 games in the NBA spotlight. I'm impressed by the guys that can make a smooth transition.

I know you would agree on going pro. But I want to understand something. When you say "Like I said, it's his life. He should do what he wants after getting as much (good) information as he can." What does that mean?

If someone's opinion is "he should stay in school to get stronger" how is that argument any worse than saying "he should enter the draft because he might get injured". I think they are about equal in strength.

I'm just not sure what you mean by "it's his life" comment. Of course fans want him to return to school for selfish reasons. I don't think the fans should be derided for feeling this way. I wish I had fans for something I was doing. Having fans is something to be valued in my opinion.

Again, as I stated at the beginning of this thread, people have strong feelings on this topic. Please just keep this to a very civil conversation. I think it's an interesting topic from both perspectives.
I think, by and large, college fans are fans of the team, rather than the kid, and their opinions on the kid's choices are seen through that selfish prism.
While it can be a bad economic choice to come back to school, I don't believe it is ever a wrong or bad choice to do so. The choice is personal, and should be respected regardless of which way it goes.

I think, by and large, college fans are fans of the team, rather than the kid, and their opinions on the kid's choices are seen through that selfish prism.
While it can be a bad economic choice to come back to school, I don't believe it is ever a wrong or bad choice to do so. The choice is personal, and should be respected regardless of which way it goes.

And vise versa, if the kid decides to stay it would be nice if that decision were respected by people not saying "what if he gets hurt money is everything" prism. It seems to me people on both sides have strong feelings about it. But I generally agree with your point whatever the kid decides it should be respected.

Look, for me at least, half the decisions I make in my life are stupid and the other half I just got lucky.

I now pray that this kids stays healthy next year.

I wish him the best and hope he didn't raab himself

0f1f78368916d123c03fa2352d52a119.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom