Can't remember wanting a game so badly | Syracusefan.com

Can't remember wanting a game so badly

Cuse House

All American
All the criticism towards this team in my mind has been unjustified. Not sure why we are everybody's "mistake" team when we compared favorably to every other team on the bubble. We have been called "the worst at large ever," and "mediocre with no business being in the tournament." Almost as if they have a personal vendetta with the Cuse and needs to pile on while they can. They have even brought up that we should be suspended this year, as if we haven't been punished enough. I hope our guys are paying attention to the negativity surrounding them. I don't particularly hate Gonzaga at all, but for this team and in this specific tournament, I hope we bury them so bad that they seem like their souls have been ripped out after the game. Maybe then, all these whiny "experts" can crawl back into their caves. I am anxious as ever for Friday night. Time to run loose in Chicago and show these Zags that Saint Mary's and Syracuse, are on two different levels. LGO!

It's an odd feeling. Syracuse isn't usually the 'bad guy' but everybody seemingly wants us to just lose already and get out of the tournament. This must be how mid-majors on a Cinderella run feel. It's time to embrace the hate and paint the tourney orange.

It's an odd feeling. Syracuse isn't usually the 'bad guy' but everybody seemingly wants us to just lose already and get out of the tournament. This must be how mid-majors on a Cinderella run feel. It's time to embrace the hate and paint the tourney orange.
This whole week has been about how we don't belong. There has hardly been anything about how well we've played. We have essentially played as well as Gonzaga but everything is about how the Zags are on fire, give me a break. I just hope we torch these guys. Then I will never have to hear the name Sabonis again.

Some perspective: tonight I randomly watched some of our 2003 Sweet 16 game. Just so happens our opponent (Auburn) was a 10 seed. And within 5 minutes of game time Gus Johnson had mentioned how several other teams had serious gripes about Auburn deserving to be in the tourney. So this is not a new phenomenon and it persists even after you tip off a Sweet 16 game.

What sucks if we do beat the Zags, then we are going to hear how they were seeded lower than us and how we are the luckiest team ever to make the elite 8.

EM just keep winning and they will have to SUck it!

Last edited:
This isn't about building RPI, your resume and trying to be ranked. Every team is 0-0 before every round and your job is win the next game, no matter the opponent. I couldn't care less what the media thinks -- in fact I like it because I think it's motivating our team.

If Gonzaga wins the narrative would switch to them having an "an easy road". There will always be 1 team in every round that is perceived weaker. In 2011 UConn only played a team that was better than a 5 seed once, and that was SDSU. If we win tomorrow, we would at least match that number on Sunday (#1 vs. #4 tomorrow)

I love being hated. But I'm still going into this one feeling somewhat care-free playing with house money. This team has already vastly exceeded my expectations so another win would just be more...

giphy.gif

All the criticism towards this team in my mind has been unjustified. Not sure why we are everybody's "mistake" team when we compared favorably to every other team on the bubble. We have been called "the worst at large ever," and "mediocre with no business being in the tournament." Almost as if they have a personal vendetta with the Cuse and needs to pile on while they can. They have even brought up that we should be suspended this year, as if we haven't been punished enough. I hope our guys are paying attention to the negativity surrounding them. I don't particularly hate Gonzaga at all, but for this team and in this specific tournament, I hope we bury them so bad that they seem like their souls have been ripped out after the game. Maybe then, all these whiny "experts" can crawl back into their caves. I am anxious as ever for Friday night. Time to run loose in Chicago and show these Zags that Saint Mary's and Syracuse, are on two different levels. LGO!

In my mind, getting to the Sweet 16 is a HUGE success!! Anything beyond this is pure gravy!

That said, the press this week is the perfect storm of motivation. I imagine our boys are going to come out on fire. I'm so pissed at the analysts and their coverage I want to jump out on the court and score some baskets. In 30 years I don't remember any week like this where the level of disrespect was so great. This press coverage reminds me of our football team versus Nebraska in 1984. I can't wait for tomorrow night! I think our boys are really going to bring it!

In '96, Vitale, and others, were on the warpath to get the final four reseeded so Kentucky and UMass would not have to play each other in the semis...

In '03, it was unfair because we got to play the regionals in Albany.

It is always something (although I don't think there was any controversy in '13).

And it doesn't help that a there are a number of media guys (Gottlieb, Forde etc.) who don't like Boeheim so they look for things.

If we take care of business over the next two games, nobody will say a word...

Isn't it interesting that nobody said Boo about a protected seed (Duke) having to play Yale in Providence?

What sucks if we do beat the Zags, then we are going to hear how they were seeded lower than us and how we are the luckiest team ever to make the elite 8.

EM just keep winning and they will have to SUck it!
Sign me up! I'll take whatever "luck" is necessary to keep this run going. The NCAA Tourney is about more than playing well. You also need a great deal of luck to make a deep run.

You're right. Even if we dominate Gonzaga, it won't change the narrative. But if we beat Virginia ...

Won't change the narrative is right. You can't make them love you so why worry about it. Besides, anyone from Hollywood will tell you the juiciest role, the role an actor wants to play and the one that is truly memorable, is the role of the villain. Apparently we are the villain of the 2016 tournament. Let's embrace it, take it to heart and revel in it. Let's give em a show and some in your face swag. Deep down that is what they want. They want to boo someone, to throw stuff at the screen, and the longer the bad guy gets his way and keeps winning, the greater the anger and the louder the boos. Sign me up for being the villain all the way to the NC. They can boo and hiss while we are cutting down the nets. LGO!

The problem is - we should be the Cinderella as a 10-seed, but we are 'Cuse - we have the name and the pedigree so no one wants to root for us. The negative angle the media is taking is an obvious conclusion. I take it as a compliment. Just think of all the negativity that would surround a 10 seeded Duke. We are polarizing. If they didn't care, then I'd we worried...

In '96, Vitale, and others, were on the warpath to get the final four reseeded so Kentucky and UMass would not have to play each other in the semis...

In '03, it was unfair because we got to play the regionals in Albany.

It is always something (although I don't think there was any controversy in '13).

And it doesn't help that a there are a number of media guys (Gottlieb, Forde etc.) who don't like Boeheim so they look for things.

If we take care of business over the next two games, nobody will say a word...

Isn't it interesting that nobody said Boo about a protected seed (Duke) having to play Yale in Providence?

Agreed except I don't' think Gottlieb hates Boeheim. I think he's just looking for reaction most of the time.

Forde, on the other hand...

MGP said:
The problem is - we should be the Cinderella as a 10-seed, but we are 'Cuse - we have the name and the pedigree so no one wants to root for us. The negative angle the media is taking is an obvious conclusion. I take it as a compliment. Just think of all the negativity that would surround a 10 seeded Duke. We are polarizing. If they didn't care, then I'd we worried...

If duke was a 10 seed and blitzed through the first 2 games youd hear things like "what a masterful job by coach k, taking this weaker duke team to sweet 16" or "you can never count duke out" or "duke in the underdog role is very dangerous watch out! Here come the dukies! Dipsy doo dunkaroo! I wanna hit the showers with grayson allen baby! Hes my ptp'er! Hes awesome!"

If duke was a 10 seed and blitzed through the first 2 games youd hear things like "what a masterful job by coach k, taking this weaker duke team to sweet 16" or "you can never count duke out" or "duke in the underdog role is very dangerous watch out! Here come the dukies! Dipsy doo dunkaroo! I wanna hit the showers with grayson allen baby! Hes my ptp'er! Hes awesome!"
Agreed, but the country wouldn't be rooting for them...

I know the "us versus the world" narrative fuels a lot of fans, players, and coaches, but it does nothing for me.

Agreed except I don't' think Gottlieb hates Boeheim. I think he's just looking for reaction most of the time.

Forde, on the other hand...

Either way, anytime he can get in a shot, he takes one...

Dougie is like one of those DirecTV commercials:

When your dream school doesn't recruit you, you get angry.

When you get angry at your dream school, you sign with a rival.

When you go to Notre Dame, you become a felon and get kicked out of school.

When you become a felon and get kicked out of school, only a felon for a coach will recruit you, so you go to Oklahoma State.

When you play at Oklahoma State, you realize that a point guard that cannot shoot or make free throws ain't playin' pro..

When you realize you ain't playin' pro, you get a job on TV so you can take shots at your dream school and its coach who didn't recruit you...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom