CB Duce Chestnut transferring to LSU | Page 31 | Syracusefan.com

CB Duce Chestnut transferring to LSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lsu, Miami and Ohio st. But those were schools that showed interest in him out of school from that article about best portal players available.
From what I remember miami was the one the board was worried about in 2020

From what I remember miami was the one the board was worried about in 2020

Could be. They were one of the finalists but my memory ain’t that good.

From my digging, I know that Missouri and Iowa were trying to get involved. Not sure if it went anywhere. Miami, OSU, and LSU mentions I have seen have only been message board fodder.

From my digging, I know that Missouri and Iowa were trying to get involved. Not sure if it went anywhere. Miami, OSU, and LSU mentions I have seen have only been message board fodder.
Wouldn’t be shocking if OSU honestly to me. Headhunter already got to jahad why not get the other guy too

If SUDad was right that we're getting someone back from the portal, Duce is the one who makes the most sense. He has always been very publicly Orange, helping recruit other Camden guys. He is a no question starting corner here at a position that we're most vulnerable on Defense. Carter had a good year, but we have lots of good safeties and he's been fairly injury prone. With Wax coming back, Duce is the one we most needed to complete our Defense and w/ our improved DL, we will be nasty there.

Wouldn’t be surprised if OSU scooped up Deuce as well. They need Corner help too.

But if Cuse found some good NIL money for him and he’s staying which would make sense, then I feel really good about our D next year.

Wouldn’t be surprised if OSU scooped up Deuce as well. They need Corner help too.

But if Cuse found some good NIL money for him and he’s staying which would make sense, then I feel really good about our D next year.
I totally agree.

If SUDad was right that we're getting someone back from the portal, Duce is the one who makes the most sense. He has always been very publicly Orange, helping recruit other Camden guys. He is a no question starting corner here at a position that we're most vulnerable on Defense. Carter had a good year, but we have lots of good safeties and he's been fairly injury prone. With Wax coming back, Duce is the one we most needed to complete our Defense and w/ our improved DL, we will be nasty there.
I’ll start this by saying I wish he never hit portal and I want him on the team, but let’s say he is trying to come back…..That’s BS he should be seen to the door. There’s consequences for your actions in the real world for being selfish, and abandoning your team. “Oh but he wasn’t selfish he he he was trying to do what’s best!!” Get outta here. I don’t care if players like Carter go on to bigger and it makes sense I can’t blame him. But don’t sit on the fence and play games, and be selfish and abandon your team. I’m sorry I just don’t like it, maybe I’m old school (and I’m 26 years old) but I think it’s simple, coach should look every player in the face and say the second you hit the transfer portal you are being recruited over, we are going to try and upgrade your position if you leave. So if you think you can come right back? No way. We might find a better use for that scholly, and grab another DL, etc. We will put you back on our big board and when the dust settles if there’s a spot then great. These players need to realize it’s not about them always and there should be real risks for their actions. It’s just like in life if I told my employer I’m steadily looking for a new job and I MAY be back if I can’t find anything better, guess what I’m gone goodbye they don’t need games played like that. You’re in or out. Period

Might get bashed for that take but so be it.

I’ll start this by saying I wish he never hit portal and I want him on the team, but let’s say he is trying to come back…..That’s BS he should be seen to the door. There’s consequences for your actions in the real world for being selfish, and abandoning your team. “Oh but he wasn’t selfish he he he was trying to do what’s best!!” Get outta here. I don’t care if players like Carter go on to bigger and it makes sense I can’t blame him. But don’t sit on the fence and play games, and be selfish and abandon your team. I’m sorry I just don’t like it, maybe I’m old school (and I’m 26 years old) but I think it’s simple, coach should look every player in the face and say the second you hit the transfer portal you are being recruited over, we are going to try and upgrade your position if you leave. So if you think you can come right back? No way. We might find a better use for that scholly, and grab another DL, etc. We will put you back on our big board and when the dust settles if there’s a spot then great. These players need to realize it’s not about them always and there should be real risks for their actions. It’s just like in life if I told my employer I’m steadily looking for a new job and I MAY be back if I can’t find anything better, guess what I’m gone goodbye they don’t need games played like that. You’re in or out. Period

Bad business and you are getting to emotional about all of it, if you have a valuable asset and he can help the team, you take him back. certain guys you say sure we moved on. Guy like Duce who I have made clear I think he's always been a bit overrated by many here you probably take him back. Not every "employee" is the same. People come and go. I have taken countless people back over the years that have left and tested the waters and others said thanks but no thanks. Why? not because I am good or bad guy because I have a business to run and if they can help MY business then I take them back. Same principle and this is the scenario that the players wanted. They can now come and go as they please and it's a two way street.

All that said, Dino would take him back in a Honolulu minute

Last edited:
Bad business and you are getting to emotional about all of it, if you have a valuable asset and he can help the team, you take him back. certain guys you say sure we moved on. Guy like Duce who I have made clear I think he's always been a bit overrated by many here you probably take him back. Not every "employee" is the same. People come and go. I have taken countless people back over the years that have left and tested the waters and others said thanks but no thanks? Why? not because I am good or bad guy because I have a business to run and if they can help MY business then I take them back. Same principle and this is the scenario that the players wanted. They can now come and go as they please and it's a two way street

I get what you’re saying and see that side of things for sure. You are correct it’s an emotional take so to speak, because it feels like these players are undervaluing the amazing positions they are in here in my opinion. I get NIL headhunters offering money these kids have never seen also. Simply said it’s a very human situation where people see different sides and both have points that are valid.

I get what you’re saying and see that side of things for sure. You are correct it’s an emotional take so to speak, because it feels like these players are undervaluing the amazing positions they are in here in my opinion. I get NIL headhunters offering money these kids have never seen also. Simply said it’s a very human situation where people see different sides and both have points that are valid.

I think Dino looks at it the right way and he's certainly in tune with the psyche of these players more than any of us. Again, if he feels the asset is worth taking back they will be back. IMO, the right way to look at it

This is where Dino shines as well

I don't think it's a contradiction for the coach to say there's no guarantee for you to keep your spot here once you go into the portal and still take him back if he thinks the player is worthwhile. It stinks, but it's where we're at.

On top of Duce’s ability on the field, if he were to come back, that further keeps the Camden/South Jersey pipeline more active. It may incentivize his cousin, Willy Love, to come and play for the Orange too.

You absolutely take him back.

Bad business and you are getting to emotional about all of it, if you have a valuable asset and he can help the team, you take him back. certain guys you say sure we moved on. Guy like Duce who I have made clear I think he's always been a bit overrated by many here you probably take him back. Not every "employee" is the same. People come and go. I have taken countless people back over the years that have left and tested the waters and others said thanks but no thanks. Why? not because I am good or bad guy because I have a business to run and if they can help MY business then I take them back. Same principle and this is the scenario that the players wanted. They can now come and go as they please and it's a two way street.

That's exactly how I look at it. I work for a large 20,000 employee company but when people leave, they are marked "eligible for rehire" or "ineligible for rehire." We take people back all the time if they did a good job for us.

Pay him and show Willy/south jersey that cuse takes care of its studs.

Ive had time to think about this and Duce is worth dishing out a bit for. You’re not just buying his cb skills.

I mean they call the kid “Sub Zero”. We’re Central NY. It doesn’t take a marketing genius at a heating and cooling company to say, hey, this might work… Nebraska did it with DaColdest Crawford…

I guess my point is that the staff is willing to take players back.

Are people in here suggesting we wouldnt take Duce back in a heartbeat? Unless there are disciplinary issues of which I am unaware, that is a preposterous assertion.

That said, there is a huge difference between taking back a player who considers turning pro and one who enters the transfer portal, so your analogy is poor.

That's exactly how I look at it. I work for a large 20,000 employee company but when people leave, they are marked "eligible for rehire" or "ineligible for rehire." We take people back all the time if they did a good job for us.

If you were to leave which bucket do you think you’d be put in? ;)

SOP for human resource people. You used to tell a reference exactly what they needed to know about a former employee…now you can only say there are or are not eligible for rehire.

Pay him and show Willy/south jersey that cuse takes care of its studs.

Ive had time to think about this and Duce is worth dishing out a bit for. You’re not just buying his cb skills.
He is Def worth dishing out for

He wasn’t perfect (nor 100%) but he graded out as the best CB and higher than all our safeties (better than GW and ‘Had) this year on PFF

I wish we kept ‘Had but he didn’t even grade out as the best safety, Simmons did (‘Had was still above average tho)

Status
Not open for further replies.