CB Duce Chestnut transferring to LSU | Page 62 | Syracusefan.com

CB Duce Chestnut transferring to LSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to go all Dr Phil on this situation but I liken this to taking back an old GF who broke up with you, and is now exploring trying again. She might've left on good terms, but still...she DID leave you.
Sometimes it works, but based on my humble experience, sometimes it's better to just move on- no hard feelings. JMHO

In order to be a grad transfer he needs to graduate with his undergrad

If he just transfers without graduating, he would have to sit out a year and that would expire his eligibility

He has put himself in a really tough situation. This potentially could be ending his football career

It wouldn't end his career if he transferred without his degree. Deuce still has a redshirt year. He could red-shirt next year and then have 1 year left. That said it would be much easier if he was able to grad transfer this spring or late in the summer.

He made a decision that ended up being a major mistake. A life changing mistake. Ive made two in my life and thankfully recovered, but both were extremely difficult on me and my children. I hope that if Duece wants to and is able to return that the coaches and his teammates welcome and support his return as he obviously needs support. Forget the PR value. Do it because the kid needs it. Period.
I would hope that Syracuse unlike some of the SEC and Big schools is more concerned about helping players develope in life, more then football.

It wouldn't end his career if he transferred without his degree. Deuce still has a redshirt year. He could red-shirt next year and then have 1 year left. That said it would be much easier if he was able to grad transfer this spring or late in the summer.

You’re right, I thought he was a 2020.

But 21 was his first year.

So he played in 21 and 22.

Redshirt this year, 24 sit out year

25 he will finally be able to play again

WOOF.

Considering if he stays one more year at Cuse he likely leaves early to go to NFL

Speculation on tigerdroppings is he skipped a road trip because he was mad about losing his spot on the depth chart. Then it's split, some say he's good but too small to play in the SEC and other say he is complete trash so it doesn't matter.
Yeah. The LSU blog is pretty brutal. Almost as tough as ours.

Not to go all Dr Phil on this situation but I liken this to taking back an old GF who broke up with you, and is now exploring trying again. She might've left on good terms, but still...she DID leave you.
Sometimes it works, but based on my humble experience, sometimes it's better to just move on- no hard feelings. JMHO
I don't think it should be that emotional. It's more like an employee that left for another company then wanted out after he found out the work environment was too toxic despite the pay raise. As long as he left on good terms and didn't hurt you by giving trade secrets to the other company, the door could be left open for a return if it helps the company. But if you've trained up a replacement that has as much or more potential, sorry there's no room at the inn.

I agree...but you should definitely mess around with her before cutting her loose.

I don't think it should be that emotional. It's more like an employee that left for another company then wanted out after he found out the work environment was too toxic despite the pay raise. As long as he left on good terms and didn't hurt you by giving trade secrets to the other company, the door could be left open for a return if it helps the company. But if you've trained up a replacement that has as much or more potential, sorry there's no room at the inn.
Great analogy.

Not much of a difference anymore. The transfer portal has made college football into free agency, just like the pros. And whether we're talking about college transfer portal or pro free agency, choices have consequences. Sometimes they work out, and sometimes things go unfavorably as they have for Duce.

Besides, a lot of moving parts would have to align for him to come back. For example:
  • Dino would have to want him back
  • Sounds like Duce would need to graduate to be immediately eligible
  • There could be other transfer CBs the staff is targeting that would be immediately eligible
Like I said above, if it works out - great. But it seems far from a slam dunk, and the coaching staffs' hands might be tied anyway by NCAA bureaucracy with respect to transfer rules that limit what they can do.
no free lunch

Got to make sure you are going to get PT and be playing.

I don’t begrudge anyone for taking a leap. Is what it is.

But LSU was staring down the barrel of a busted secondary and all eyes were on the new guys, including Duce.

It’s feast or famine bc they won’t wait for you.

You got to really weigh the risk of being paid less but being in the right situation vs taking on risk with a higher short term payout.

The NFL will find you if you are good. Tough spot seems like.

Separately, relying on Brian Kelly for your future always seems dicey.

Hopefully Duce will find a good landing spot should he decide to re-enter the portal...just not at Syracuse...starter here portals can't find the field at LSU and come back here looking to start and that's what he'd be looking for....nah I'll pass

Mayne now he'll be a "take" for Rutgers. ;)

Hopefully Duce will find a good landing spot should he decide to re-enter the portal...just not at Syracuse...starter here portals can't find the field at LSU and come back here looking to start and that's what he'd be looking for...nah I'll pass
I seriously doubt Dino is going to take him back on other terms but his own.

Yeah, but if she is highly skilled in an area important to you, going out again is cool. Just don't look to get married

He’s clearly good enough to play here. If he wants to come back, I don’t see why not? He more or less knows the system even with a change in DC’s, he knows the program, and we could probably use some “grown man strength” on that field whenever we can get it.

He’s clearly good enough to play here. If he wants to come back, I don’t see why not? He more or less knows the system even with a change in DC’s, he knows the program, and we could probably use some “grown man strength” on that field whenever we can get it.
I mean he was Freshman all-american. He was great his freshman year when other teams went way staying away from Garrett. i thought there was some regression his sophomore year, but he can certainly play at this level assuming he has kept putting the work in. I wouldn’t mind having Jerry and Duce next year but i think he’s got himself in a big old mess and there isn’t going to be any NIL money at his next stop wherever it may be.

I hate that it had to be but this is good for Syracuse. If there wasn’t a poster boy for the cautionary tale of chasing a few thousand extra dollars than i’m not sure what is.

Keep in mind if he comes back, we likely lose at least one current db to the portal, if not two.

I appreciate the help he provides recruiting Jersey. Otherwise, I don’t think he’s an immediate guaranteed starter here right now.
Due to scholarship limitations, or their feelings are hurt? Serious question, not trolling.

Hopefully Duce will find a good landing spot should he decide to re-enter the portal...just not at Syracuse...starter here portals can't find the field at LSU and come back here looking to start and that's what he'd be looking for...nah I'll pass
I'd never pass on depth. What can it hurt?

Due to scholarship limitations, or their feelings are hurt? Serious question, not trolling.
Neither, they want starting spots and to showcase themselves. Becomes a business decision.

And bringing back a kid who left, regardless of how well liked duce was, is going to rub some players competing for snaps the wrong way. Could be said for any team.

Neither, they want starting spots and to showcase themselves. Becomes a business decision.

And bringing back a kid who left, regardless of how well liked duce was, is going to rub some players competing for snaps the wrong way. Could be said for any team.

Ya, I agree with this. Duce also created an off the field mess at SU when he left that took 6 months to clean up. It looks like he’s made a mess at LSU. I think we should probably wish him well and move on.

But if a coach brings in a transfer from any school players could interpret it as being recruited over and get miffed. If the guy you're bringing in is better than who you have, you don't care if guys don't like it. You have to put the best talent on the roster. I don't know if Duce comes back, but if the coaches are cool with it, I'm not worried about guys transferring.

But if a coach brings in a transfer from any school players could interpret it as being recruited over and get miffed. If the guy you're bringing in is better than who you have, you don't care if guys don't like it. You have to put the best talent on the roster. I don't know if Duce comes back, but if the coaches are cool with it, I'm not worried about guys transferring.
In my opinion its different, and a potential hit to your culture, if its a guy who chose to leave already. But who knows

If he doesn't play after week 2 this should be his redshirt year? You get to play 4 games and keep the eligibility no injury required. Unless he plays again he won't have to sit next year.

If he wants to come back and we say no it would be for non football reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.