Class of 2017 - CB Ifeatu Melifonwu (MA) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 CB Ifeatu Melifonwu (MA) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

I love how this staff handles stuff like this; Syracuse will be fine regardless of any individual recruit's decisions. Ask Gabe Sherrod...
2016 Michigan State Spartans Gabe Sherrod #89 Senior DE 6-3 250 Perryville, MD through 01/09/2017
Tackles
G Solo Assisted Total Total/G
8 1 4 5 0.63

Misc. Defense
G Passes Broken Up QB Hurries Fumbles Forced Kicks/Punts Blocked
8 0 1 0 0

And Coach Babers last minute Plan B

2016 Syracuse Orange De'Jon Wilson #93 Senior DL 6-3 250 Washington, DC through 01/09/2017
Tackles
G Solo Assisted Total Total/G
12 7 3 10 0.83

Tackles For Loss
G TFL TFL Yards TFL/G
12 2.5 11 0.21

Sacks
G Sacks Sack Yards Sacks/G
12 2.5 11 0.21

Fine look all you want,but don't commit til NLI. when you committed, the school counted on it, so don't commit until you know that is the school you want to commit to.
As long as schools have the power to pull a kids offer/stop talking to him until he decommits this is the way it should be. If a school can back out of a commitment, a kid should be able to as well.

Look no further than what Randy Edsall did with that kid less than two weeks ago. Called him when he got the job and said your offer is safe, and then two weeks later calls him and says hit the bricks son, good luck to you.

Even if you think that's an extreme example of the process (which it isn't, and something that happens annually across the country), as long as schools/staffs can do that, kids should be able to take their 5 free visits.

Yes this kid might flip, but he might also go on that trip and decide that he is even more sure than before that Cuse is the right place for him.

I don't like the practice of pulling offers for taking visits, it's what Flood was doing at Rutgers, and basically says that you are an insecure institution that doesn't think it can hold on to a single recruit that visits elsewhere. I also think it's a big reason why so many transferred out. They weren't sure Rutgers was right for them, and then things didn't go well, so they decided to get out.

Heck when you were an 18 year old finishing HS how many colleges did you visit trying to find the right fit for you? For some the answer will be 1-2 for others it will 5-6 for some it might be 10+. These kids are the same way.

I want my kids committed, but I also want them sure this is the right spot. Let them visit and yes, you will lose some right then. But for those that stay (and I think many will stay) a lot less will transfer out on you at the first sign of hardship.

Y'all have gone on for five pages on whether or not he should visit UM, whether or not kids should take visits after committing and whether or not his offer should be pulled. Just wait until the new recruiting rules go into effect where a kid can take official visits in the Spring and Summer before his Senior year. My guess is there will be lots of visiting after committing.

Yeah, the pulling the offer stuff is a power play by the coaches. As commonplace as it may be, I'm not a fan if it. Do what's best for the kid, let them enjoy the process, they work so hard to have that opportunity.

Yeah, the pulling the offer stuff is a power play by the coaches. As commonplace as it may be, I'm not a fan if it. Do what's best for the kid, let them enjoy the process, they work so hard to have that opportunity.
Yup. I get that people are football fans. I get they want the best players to come to Syracuse But players are people. We should want what is best for the player. I'm sure WMU is not happy Elmore flipped to us (obv just one example, and maybe not even the best). It happens. If the player feels he needs (or wants) to take an official somewhere else, fine. He should be happy with his choice. OTOH, the player needs to be aware it is a two-way street. Schools have to have a plan B, too.

But these kids aren't "employees" yet. They haven't signed their contracts.
If you are job hunting and have agreed to take a job but haven't signed a contract yet and a possibly better offer comes along I am positive most of you would at least take a look.

But its great when a guy like Elmore or someone else does it and comes to us, he doesn't have some kind of disloyal weakness in his character.

But its great when a guy like Elmore or someone else does it and comes to us, he doesn't have some kind of disloyal weakness in his character.

Elmore's coach changed schools.

And we only offered pushed after he left and the kid opened up.

Wow so he is ditching Syracuse for Michigan on the last weekend without even having an offer From Michigan? Unreal
I hope for his sake that Michigan told him if he visits there, they will offer him.

The 3 day visit in the middle of the week is strange. Makes me think they are bringing in a few recruits and will use all that time to try and get their favorites to verbal first, then let the others go home empty handed.

Michigan is a good school in a decent conference. But they haven't offered. They have ignored him until the last minute, when players they liked a lot better went elsewhere. In terms of games that are an easy drive away for family and friends, it would go from 60-65% for Syracuse to maybe 5% if he went to Michigan.

The B1G offers considerably worse competition than the ACC does. It will take him considerably longer time to get on the field as well.

Syracuse has a lot of advantages that the family might want to consider.

Elmore's coach changed schools.

Ok use the 10+ other examplea from kids on our roster. Figured that low hanging fruit was easy enough to let pass.

I hope for his sake that Michigan told him if he visits there, they will offer him.

The 3 day visit in the middle of the week is strange. .

There is only one visit weekend left so he's at least being respectful (and committed) to Syracuse by not canceling ou visit. Really if he wants to visit someplace else and not cancel on us then mid-week is his only option.

we've seen this before; even kids visiting us.

he clearly though is a b-lister for them. even the fact that he has to visit there to get the offer. Why wasn't he offered on Saturday during the meeting.

This is by far my fav board activity: "when it happens to us we hate it, but we do it too!"

Yep. That's cause we are biased towards what's good for our favorite team. It's not hypocritical, it's fandom.

(Similarly, if course I think playing here is better than Michigan for Coach Weirdo. The ACC is better. Etc.)

The coaches are back out on the road this week making visits. I wonder if they end up in MA today.

The coaches are back out on the road this week making visits. I wonder if they end up in MA today.
If they want him, I would hope so. I also wonder if the impending nor'easter delays any Michigan plans. Between that and the United shutdown yesterday, the airports are likely to be real backed up. That could be telling too. If they try to move him to the weekend, we may have our answer fast.

You can't blame a kid for exploring his options, but the coaches jobs are on the line, so if a kid is looking around, the staff has to keep their options open as well. As long as everyone is open about it, it is fine.

This is by far my fav board activity: "when it happens to us we hate it, but we do it too!"

Yep. That's cause we are biased towards what's good for our favorite team. It's not hypocritical, it's fandom.

(Similarly, if course I think playing here is better than Michigan for Coach Weirdo. The ACC is better. Etc.)

Its the best. On this board we think its absurd for a kid to go check out a powerhouse but on the bball board we think any kid that would consider uconn or wake forest over us is a moron.

I honestly don’t hate it and frankly I wish we were relentless on committed kids we want. We’re only going to be good again when our roster is filled with kids who could play for the big boys. It just sucks when it’s a committed kid at the 11th hour.

I’d prefer the old days when kids didn’t commit early and you’d be battling to get one of the 5 official visits in December and January. Then fight it out.

I don't like it when either school or player backs out and the only thing that'll help with it (though not stop it) is an early signing period. It's a business where grown men encourage teens not to keep their word. I understand the draw of wanting to visit from the kids perspective. On the other hand, the staff has said "no thank you" to countless other guys because they were saving him a spot and have a tough time recovering this late in the game.

I'm all for the early signing period as well as long as the kids have an escape clause if their presumed coach bounces on them before they arrive.

I'm all for the early signing period as well as long as the kids have an escape clause if their presumed coach bounces on them before they arrive.
The early signing isn't going to be that early. The plan is early December of their senior year. If they aren't sure then they shouldn't sign then but wait until Feb.

But if we would have had the early signing period in place this year, we would not be having many of these conversations. Reference to Palmer and Melifonwu

But if we would have had the early signing period in place this year, we would not be having many of these conversations. Reference to Palmer and Melifonwu

Assuming nothing else changed - but that wouldn't be true. Just because they were verbally committed to school X on January 1 doesn't mean that with an early signing period they'd sign the papers. You'll still have other schools trying to get kids last minute. All this does is moves that entire process up a bit

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom