Class of 2017 - CB Ifeatu Melifonwu (MA) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 CB Ifeatu Melifonwu (MA) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

The early signing isn't going to be that early. The plan is early December of their senior year. If they aren't sure then they shouldn't sign then but wait until Feb.

And when is hiring/firing season? Its pretty much that exact timeframe as well.

The NCAA would probably not allow for an escape clause if the coaches left. I'm sure they'd go with the, "you commit to a school, not a coach" type of rationale. If the players aren't sure, or are hoping/waiting for better offers, it's simple, don't sign early.

Assuming nothing else changed - but that wouldn't be true. Just because they were verbally committed to school X on January 1 doesn't mean that with an early signing period they'd sign the papers. You'll still have other schools trying to get kids last minute. All this does is moves that entire process up a bit
I know a bunch of the kids in the SU class verballed at least in part because they were told SU was taking x number of players at their position, there was only 1 spot left and if someone else took it, they would lose their scholarship offer.

In the case of Melifonwu for instance, SU was taking only 2 DBs in the class.

These kinds of circumstance that drive players to verbal today will, I think, still drive players to sign early. It might be a little harder decision knowing there is no wiggle room, but you really aren't supposed to verbal unless you are sure you want to go to a given school.

If SU loses Melifonwu, in reaction, Syracuse will probably steal a player verballed to another school. That school will then have a void and may well steal a player verballed to another school.

The chain reactions are very destabilizing, and wreck havoc with everyone involved, all for the convenience of the biggest fish in the pond. They already have enough advantages.

If kids have confidence in themselves and want to gamble, they can hold off on signing, and risk dropping down a couple of levels or not getting a scholarship at all.

They are in a really tough position. I feel for them and their families. Anything that gives them more control and more options is a good thing, IMHO.

I expect it will level the playing field somewhat and we will end up with a fair distribution of talent, with the schools that do the best initial job evaluating talent getting more results based on their industry and hard work. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Its the best. On this board we think its absurd for a kid to go check out a powerhouse but on the bball board we think any kid that would consider uconn or wake forest over us is a moron.

My point is that's how it should be. We should be biased. We should think this is the best place for them.

Now - if I was the Dad of some of these kids? My allegiance would be to the kid's choice 1st.

If they want him, I would hope so. I also wonder if the impending nor'easter delays any Michigan plans. Between that and the United shutdown yesterday, the airports are likely to be real backed up. That could be telling too. If they try to move him to the weekend, we may have our answer fast.
I'm hoping Dino is rolling with netjets now

Yeah, the pulling the offer stuff is a power play by the coaches. As commonplace as it may be, I'm not a fan if it. Do what's best for the kid, let them enjoy the process, they work so hard to have that opportunity.

Yeah, that's what they said about Quade Green. That turned out well, didn't it?

I'm hoping Dino is rolling with netjets now
Dino can drive if he has to. I was referring to Ifeatu getting out of Mass to get to Michigan. Fair to say UM may not have him go commercial I suppose, but that doesn't mean they can get in or out.

I know a bunch of the kids in the SU class verballed at least in part because they were told SU was taking x number of players at their position, there was only 1 spot left and if someone else took it, they would lose their scholarship offer.

In the case of Melifonwu for instance, SU was taking only 2 DBs in the class.

These kinds of circumstance that drive players to verbal today will, I think, still drive players to sign early. It might be a little harder decision knowing there is no wiggle room, but you really aren't supposed to verbal unless you are sure you want to go to a given school.

If SU loses Melifonwu, in reaction, Syracuse will probably steal a player verballed to another school. That school will then have a void and may well steal a player verballed to another school.

The chain reactions are very destabilizing, and wreck havoc with everyone involved, all for the convenience of the biggest fish in the pond. They already have enough advantages.

If kids have confidence in themselves and want to gamble, they can hold off on signing, and risk dropping down a couple of levels or not getting a scholarship at all.

They are in a really tough position. I feel for them and their families. Anything that gives them more control and more options is a good thing, IMHO.

I expect it will level the playing field somewhat and we will end up with a fair distribution of talent, with the schools that do the best initial job evaluating talent getting more results based on their industry and hard work. I don't see anything wrong with that.
Great Post , the chain reaction only helps the Football factories and hurts everyone else.

Dino can drive if he has to. I was referring to Ifeatu getting out of Mass to get to Michigan. Fair to say UM may not have him go commercial I suppose, but that doesn't mean they can get in or out.
sorry missed the fact you were talking about the recruit. You are right, might be a travel mess with weather.

I'm hoping that Dino is flying everywhere via private. Much better use of his time to close.

I'm also hoping dino got in car yesterday and drove to grafton.

the school can still drive this though.. the kid can only sign the papers when they are sent to them. if the school has bigger fish they just hold off on sending the papers to the kid they want to keep on the back burner.

Good to hear. Need to hang on to this one
I don't know how to embed tweets, but Bailey's follow up was a tad less encouraging.

"We're taking it on a see-what-happens basis. Right now, he's committed to Syracuse." Said IM would likely still consider SU if UM offers.

this is fine. all you can ask for is the visit. a good old fashion recruiting battle.

I don't know how to embed tweets, but Bailey's follow up was a tad less encouraging.

"We're taking it on a see-what-happens basis. Right now, he's committed to Syracuse." Said IM would likely still consider SU if UM offers.

this sure makes it seem like he's gonzo if he gets the offer.

i'd have no problem if Cuse pulled there's

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom