Class of 2017 - CB Ifeatu Melifonwu (MA) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 CB Ifeatu Melifonwu (MA) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

was he recruited as a corner?
Not sure, but, that's where I'd put him. Measurables are usually alot closer to accurate nowadays with the camp circuit. But, I wouldn't be surprised if 6'2 190 was 6'1 175-180.

And fwiw... I wonder if this isn't just a courtesy visit out of respect to Don Brown who recruited his brother to UConn.
I don't know if I can quite buy that. With Harbaugh going to one of his BB games and then have him out for three days. Seems to me he is trying to possibly steal him at last minute.

I don't know if I can quite buy that. With Harbaugh going to one of his BB games and then have him out for three days. Seems to me he is trying to possibly steal him at last minute.

A "courtesy visit" from Ifeatu to UM right now.

Just have to hope that this ends up like the Steve Clark situation in that the kid sees what the bigger program is all about, but elects to stick with his first choice because it feels like a better fit.

I personally think it is a great sign that upper echelon teams like Michigan deem our prospects to be players they are interested in chasing. It would suck to lose them, but it shows that our coaching staff can identify talent.

Hope we can land this kid. Doesn't matter IMO whether he projects at corner or safety, because a kid with his size / athleticism will help upgrade the talent at either position.

If he goes to UM he plays with all top level players on D and makes his job a lot easier. However coming to SU you have to work harder and I feel makes you mentally stronger.
At SU you don't have another 3 CBs gunning for the same spot, so you have to maintain focus and can't afford to make mistakes. It's much more difficult at Michigan.

At SU you don't have another 3 CBs gunning for the same spot, so you have to maintain focus and can't afford to make mistakes. It's much more difficult at Michigan.
How, in your opinion is it much more difficult at Michigan, and there is 3CBs vying for his position.

Gonna need to firm him up this weekend. I could see Michigan's offer coming on Monday or Tuesday next week.

2 signing day announcements for michigan hurts them unless they hear ahead of time.

You'll forgive us - we've seen this happen every cycle for years and years. We can name more kids who went this way than not. I guess we should add a "probably" to it.
I've been following SU football long enough to understand what has happened in the past. Just can't stand the mentality that if he goes to a better football school that he will automatically ride the pine or get recruited over. Hope he picks orange but also understand the allure of Michigan.

I've been following SU football long enough to understand what has happened in the past. Just can't stand the mentality that if he goes to a better football school that he will automatically ride the pine or get recruited over. Hope he picks orange but also understand the allure of Michigan.

Right. That's why I suggested a "probably" in front of "ride the pine"...

OK I understand the lure of the Michigan program but Syrause is better for him. He already has a great relationship with the coaches here and knows where he stands. He is prototypical for what we want and need in our defense. He could be great at Cuse or Michigan...or there is the possibility he is just good. Not every prospect with potential turns out great. In which case he probably gets little playing time at Michigan but at Syracuse would be starting 3 or 4 years with the chance to improve his skills on the field. Cuse is the better choice here! ;)

Last edited:
so does this mean he did not go to Michigan? I'm confused...
He went and now he's back. He had a bball game last night and someone from the Syracuse coaching staff went to the game.

"Don't be surprised if additional names pop up over the next few days. The Orange extended at least one visit offer to a recruit committed to a Football Championship Subdivision program on Thursday."

a 1AA kid? great.

Last edited:
I also dont like the 'no comment' part from the coach. I think he gets it that Ifeatu is a Michigan plan B, but it's Michigan and an offer could still be forthcoming. imo, we really have to seal the deal this weekend or else he could be a signing day flip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom