Class of 2017 - CB Ifeatu Melifonwu (MA) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 CB Ifeatu Melifonwu (MA) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

My take is that Michigan did not extend an offer but told Ifeatu there was a possibility he would get one before Wednesday if he remains patient.

I think he and his coach are striving to keep the SU and Michigan staffs happy so they don't lose the offer from Syracuse or the chance of a late offer from Michigan.

They are playing the recruiting game well. Let's hope Ifeatu has a great time this weekend and closes the door on a possible future in Ann Arbor.

My take is that Michigan did not extend an offer but told Ifeatu there was a possibility he would get one before Wednesday if he remains patient.

I think he and his coach are striving to keep the SU and Michigan staffs happy so they don't lose the offer from Syracuse or the chance of a late offer from Michigan.

They are playing the recruiting game well. Let's hope Ifeatu has a great time this weekend and closes the door on a possible future in Ann Arbor.

That's exactly what i was thinking. You said it much better.

At this point I would say go find a lower level commit who has 80% of this guy's potential, and from whom you can get a solid commit. Then say bye bye.

I'd wait for a signing day decision from a top tier guy that we are battling for. But not someone who is a plan b for a factory and who keeps us dangling.

At this point I would say go find a lower level commit who has 80% of this guy's potential, and from whom you can get a solid commit. Then say bye bye.

I'd wait for a signing day decision from a top tier guy that we are battling for. But not someone who is a plan b for a factory and who keeps us dangling.
Glad you're not in charge then.

Why give up on a winnable recruitment battle? Battles like this are good experience for our staff/coaches and shows that we are a force in the region.

Glad you're not in charge then.
At some point you have to start acting like you're not other programs' bch. Aw shucks, a bridesmaid again.

At some point you have to start acting like you're not other programs' bch. Aw shucks, a bridesmaid again.
Except he's still committed here and hasn't flipped. So why would you get rid of him? Especially when we have a better than good chance of his signature on Wednesday.

Except he's still committed here and hasn't flipped. So why would you get rid of him? Especially when we have a better than good chance of his signature on Wednesday.
I don't have any insider knowledge, so if the staff thinks they really are in the drivers seat, even if harbaugh offers, then sure, ride it out. What I don't want happening is getting hung out to dry by kids who are clear b options late for a factory. Hold the spot for blue chips who go down to the wire, sure. But I would prefer that our stance is that if you can't see you are a last second b afterthought at some factory, then by all means go and fight those odds. But we want guys who stick by a commitment that we have had, and worked on, for a long time.

I don't have any insider knowledge, so if the staff thinks they really are in the drivers seat, even if harbaugh offers, then sure, ride it out. What I don't want happening is getting hung out to dry by kids who are clear b options late for a factory. Hold the spot for blue chips who go down to the wire, sure. But I would prefer that our stance is that if you can't see you are a last second b afterthought at some factory, then by all means go and fight those odds. But we want guys who stick by a commitment that we have had, and worked on, for a long time.

I believe the staff has a B list recruit lined up to take Ifeatu's scholarship if the kids Michigan really want decide to go elsewhere and they extend an offer to him (and Ifeatu decides to break his word and take that offer). They should do that, and they should be honest with the B list recruit, just as Michigan is apparently doing with IM.

But I agree with bnoro. Melifonwu is a tremendous talent. He has AA potential. There is no B list recruit out there who has a ceiling remotely close to his.

You have to do everything you can to get Ifeatu in a Syracuse uniform. I think the SU staff is playing their hand in this high stakes poker match very well.

I believe the staff has a B list recruit lined up to take Ifeatu's scholarship if the kids Michigan really want decide to go elsewhere and they extend an offer to him (and Ifeatu decides to break his word and take that offer). They should do that, and they should be honest with the B list recruit, just as Michigan is apparently doing with IM.

But I agree with bnoro. Melifonwu is a tremendous talent. He has AA potential. There is no B list recruit out there who has a ceiling remotely close to his.

You have to do everything you can to get Ifeatu in a Syracuse uniform. I think the SU staff is playing their hand in this high stakes poker match very well.
So why is he a late push by Michigan? Why weren't they, and hosts of others in the factory tier, after him all along?

So why is he a late push by Michigan? Why weren't they, and hosts of others in the factory tier, after him all along?
He is from a small HS near Worcester, MA. Not on the radar screens for a lot of schools.

Kind of surprising considering his big brother is blowing things up in pre-game practices for the Senior Bowl and will likely be one of the top 50 players selected in the 2017 draft.

He is from a small HS near Worcester, MA. Not on the radar screens for a lot of schools.

Kind of surprising considering his big brother is blowing things up in pre-game practices for the Senior Bowl and will likely be one of the top 50 players selected in the 2017 draft.
That's one of them...

I watched this kid play in the MA state title game at Gillette. He was playing RB and DB. Kid was a tough player and his team was losing and he still wanted to play after getting banged up.
He was hurt and his coach took him out to prevent him from making a minor injury severe.

I watched this kid play in the MA state title game at Gillette. He was playing RB and DB. Kid was a tough player and his team was losing and he still wanted to play after getting banged up.
He was hurt and his coach took him out to prevent him from making a minor injury severe.

Love it. Can't coach toughness.

What was the injury? From a hit or non-contact?

Love it. Can't coach toughness.

What was the injury? From a hit or non-contact?
He was hit on the leg while playing RB. He could have gone back in but his team was down 20 with under 5 minutes. His coach was looking in the big picture for the kid.

"Don't be surprised if additional names pop up over the next few days. The Orange extended at least one visit offer to a recruit committed to a Football Championship Subdivision program on Thursday."
FCS kid Not visiting.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom