Chad Ford draft updates... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Chad Ford draft updates...

Yeah, could be. But there are protections built in - and more could be added to account for that.
College grads should be able to earn a higher salary maybe?

The reason our players seem to go pro earlier and get drafted more than other elite teams not names Kentucky or Duke are because of the zone. We recruit NBA bodies and when they play well, they're ready to go in the eyes of NBA scouts.

The reason our players seem to go pro earlier and get drafted more than other elite teams not names Kentucky or Duke are because of the zone. We recruit NBA bodies and when they play well, they're ready to go in the eyes of NBA scouts.

Also is this true? Or does it seem like we lose more guys because we focus on our team? I legit don't know the answer.

Just saw these pop up, guess its the downside that comes with going on this kind of run.

Lydon comes off the bench for Syracuse, but don't let that fool you. He has all the tools of a good stretch 4 at the next level. He's a 6-foot-9. athletic forward who has shot 40 percent from 3 this season and has proven to be an effective shot blocker.

He has been up and down in the tournament, but his strong play against Virginia -- hitting three big 3s and blocking five shots -- caught scouts attention.

He's the prototypical stretch 4 that the NBA is looking for right now and has the numbers as a freshman to back up being a mid- to late-first-round pick if he declares. The fact that he gets to play in the Final Four only helps his chances of improving his stock.

Richardson has been on the NBA radar all season, but really as a wait-and-see prospect. He's a long, athletic and versatile offensive player who can shoot the 3 and slither to the basket -- but he has been wildly inconsistent all season.

That inconsistency has largely carried over into the tournament. After a strong start against Dayton, he shot just 4-for-21 from the field against Middle Tennessee and Gonzaga. But then the Virginia game happened.

After starting 0-for-7, he exploded in the second half with 21 points, three huge 3s and a couple of big steals, helping carry Syracuse to the Final Four. He now has a chance to prove himself on the biggest stage in college basketball.

If he can help Syracuse pull off an upset against North Carolina on Saturday, you'll start hearing about him as a potential first-round pick. He looks the part and in a draft devoid of elite 2-guard prospects, he'll get some interest.

This is why it wouldn't be bad to have a more hands-on coach at the helm. This isn't a bash Boeheim post, but I wonder sometimes whether some of these players put themselves in a position where they had little choice but to declare because they weren't going to remain eligible to play. Perhaps if the coach was more of a hard-ass about things like that, then the decision isn't as cut and dried? Just hypothesizin'...

We recruit NBA length. Very rarely do we have kids with "NBA bodies". We have more skinny and long athletes than any program.

We recruit NBA length. Very rarely do we have kids with "NBA bodies". We have more skinny and long athletes than any program.
That is an NBA body though. You can put weight on that. You can't make some taller with longer arms who can jump high.

That is an NBA body though. You can put weight on that. You can't make some taller with longer arms who can jump high.
I guess I should say "NBA ready" bodies. Being physically ready/mature is something we don't always see in our kids that leave early, IMO.

I don't have time to read this whole thread right now. Lydon and Richardson whould both come back for their own good, not Syracuse's. If they go their late first or possibly even 2nd round picks. They may make a few hundred grand but will either not play any basketball or play in empty arenas in the D-League. If they come back they will each improve greatly and likely be much higher draft picks and make up that one season's salary in their initial contract. Wouldn't suck for SU either!

I'd agree there. SU actively recruits long limbed players that usually have some flaws in their game (if they don't have some flaws, then they're 5*, already all over the NBA radar, and going to Duke, UK, UNC, or KU for their college year). However, once those kids on get to SU and do well against D1 competition, the NBA takes notice then.

I do think it's perception, too. Lots of teams lose players every season. Look at NC State for example and they aren't even that good.

The problem with that is in 2014 he pretty much declared to Grant and Ennis that they werent ready and they didnt listen to him. My guess is he will advise TL and Mal they arent quite ready. Doesnt mean they will listen.

The problem in this is that JB probably shouldn't be telling whether they are "ready" or not. He should be helping them to ascertain whether they are at the height of their contract position. Clearly Ennis, Grant and most early entrants aren't "ready" but coming back isn't always in their best financial interests. I am convinced that if Ennis had come back he might have hurt his draft stock and he obviously would have lost an earning year.

One thing people arent taking into account is any incremental move up the draft board makes it so the team that drafted you is almost obligated to give you every chance to succeed. So if coming back and moving up a few spots doesnt mean a whole heck of a lot money wise, and in fact actually loses you money due to delay in starting your clock, the team that takes you has MORE invested in you and is more likely to give you more opportunity.

I'm not that worried. If they leave, it's hopefully because they're going high in the draft. You can't fault a kid for that.

At the end of the day these kids seem to be having a lot of fun. So, unless they are not going to class/failing, or will be projected high enough where all doubt of a second round pick is removed - I can't say I'm all that concerned. Not that what I think matters. I'm sure for guys mentioned earlier in the thread that are surprising, like a Hield or Johnson, they are having a lot of fun in addition to having a chance to move up the draft board, and that's part of the reason they stuck around.

Look at our recent departures.

If you're McCullough you had a pretty crappy college experience - and he was already looking to go one and done. He gets hurt, he gets NONE of the tourney experience that kids covet. It had to be pretty blah for him.

Ennis/Grant - They had the threat of an NCAA investigation looming...Ennis had no reason not to strike while the iron was hot (whether he was ready or not is debatable), Grant would be inexplicable, except people have hinted at his reasons. The NCAA crap alonge may have been enough of a reason to jump ship w/ their statuses being what they were. They also just had a crap ending to the year.

Not worried. These kids seem to be having fun, love the team, love the Orange, unless the money seems too legit to quit, they're back IMO. I think that stuff probably matters.

I’m going to go to some place probably some players and fans won’t like and some will. The NBA or NCAA, IMO, should institute a rule for all of college basketball that reads: if you accept a scholarship you are bound to that school for two years. Too many are ending up on D league rosters languishing there and not making the show at all. Now unless you are elite – a Dave Bing, Pearl, or Carmelo Anthony, you need to stay and develop your game. It’s all about the money and you’ll get more with two years in school instead of one. The idea that Tyler Lydon and Malachi Richardson would consider leaving is ludicrous to me. Both their season numbers were not THAT great. So, you have a great game(s) in the tournament and the potential you have makes you suddenly a 1st Rd draft pick?! This has nothing to do with selfishness, it’s all about development and maturity. But for the NBA it’s all about greed. Realizing that I, (until the rule is established that you are required to stay for two years), am peeing into the wind we’ll all see what happens. Hopefully they stay!
That is fine, as long as you pay them and give them medical coverage for any injuries sustained while playing.

Just like Bilas says, if you want to keep players in school, you have them sign a contract and pay them.

Also is this true? Or does it seem like we lose more guys because we focus on our team? I legit don't know the answer.

Its mostly just because we're focused on 1 team. I'd imagine that all of the historical powerhouses lose early entry guys just as often.

The problem in this is that JB probably shouldn't be telling whether they are "ready" or not. He should be helping them to ascertain whether they are at the height of their contract position. Clearly Ennis, Grant and most early entrants aren't "ready" but coming back isn't always in their best financial interests. I am convinced that if Ennis had come back he might have hurt his draft stock and he obviously would have lost an earning year.

Melo Trimble being the current example. Now he's screwed to the point he might have to come back for a 3rd year and will likely not ever get his stock higher than it was last year.

Melo Trimble being the current example. Now he's screwed to the point he might have to come back for a 3rd year and will likely not ever get his stock higher than it was last year.
where was Trimble projected last year?

JB is going to let them know the perils of leaving a year to early. Why would they want to be a late first round pick when next year they will probably be low first round pick? They seem like they love the atmosphere and know patience. Ennis caught us off guard...but everybody knew Grant, MCW, Dion ETC was going. I have a feeling Lydon will do the Grant and come back for a second year and leave.

Once an agent gets their ear, lookout...

It is sad tho.

There's deffo players that go out too early and miss the boat entirely after a stint of "non-development" in the D-league...

The agents are just in it for the pay day on signing...

Believe that he was looking for a lottery guarantee but couldn't get one and came back.

He was viewed as a late 1st-potential 2nd round pick. I'm not sure where the idea that he got screwed by coming back came from. His stock wasn't very high. If I remember right, Chad Ford didn't even have him as a top 10 PG in last year's class, much less being a high-drafted guy.

He was viewed as a late 1st-potential 2nd round pick. I'm not sure where the idea that he got screwed by coming back came from. His stock wasn't very high. If I remember right, Chad Ford didn't even have him as a top 10 PG in last year's class, much less being a high-drafted guy.

Last year: Apr 1 Update: Trimble announced he was returning for his sophomore season at Maryland. He had a terrific freshman season at Maryland and quite possibly could have been a late first-round pick had he declared for the draft.

This year: Mar 21 Update: Trimble began the season on the first-round bubble, at one point moved firmly into the first round and then fell out of it with a difficult month. He had 23 critical points against Hawaii on Sunday, but it's that 1-for-10 shooting from 3 and more turnovers than assists that have him pretty stuck as a second-rounder now. He's going to need a big run in the next few games to move his stock back into first-round territory.

Tough to gauge these two. Usually have a good idea who is at least thinking about leaving early. They both played themselves into a shot at the 1st round. I'm confident that Lydon will be back. It took awhile for him to gain the confidence to perform the way he's capable of. I think he will realize he has a lot of room for growth and potentially is a Top 10 pick. Richardson has the confidence already, and isn't afraid of the moment so he may go if 'they' say he's 1st round. Both need to get stronger, but in reality you can do that just fine in the NBA. The skills are already there. Luckily, unlike Ennis, I think they both have so much room to grow instead of just striking while the iron was hot. Neither will lose any stock in coming back.

Regardless, I won't blame them and just wanna continue enjoying this fun ride. I'm sure that's all that is on their mind as well, and will do what's best for themselves when the time comes. Next year could be just as special, so it will be rough without both. Need a 3 point threat out there.

many jobs requires a degree or the equivalent to get hired. no exceptions. what is the equivalent that the NBA could require.. 4 year degree playing basketball or experience some other league be it D or europe or whatever.. not hard to put into place if they really wanted to.

upside/downside. probably more kids come out when they are NBA ready, some NBA ready kids are forced to actually play at a high level to show they are ready. also NBA probably has a better shot at spending money on kids who are more prepared to play and handle the NBA lifestyle.

no way to know if more people stay in longer cause they were more prepared and thus it would be harder to get in, but that also means better NBA product if thats true.

better salary cap on contracts so less wasted money until they show how good they can be. NFL has the same issue. mlb/NHL much better at not wasting money early on contracts and more goes to established people like most jobs do.

i dont care if kids come out but pay them in the D league for a year before they go to college.. and of the skip college then 2 years in the D league.. probably also makes the D league better and maybe that doesnt lose so much money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom