Chris Bell looks to be coming back | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Chris Bell looks to be coming back

A player with Williams's measurables who can also hit 5/6 three pointers even once in a season is potentially a very valuable player.

I think we just might have gotten through his growing pains. It would be a shame to have him go somewhere else and finally realize the immense potential.
Would be nice. If he average 12 and 7

Agreed. Bell has to want to do those other things on the court to make himself more well rounded or he is going to keep averaging. 2 assists, .4 steals, 1.8 boards, etc. The team needs more. Hopefully Bell has the desire.
Let's not forget we seen a different Bell in the last game! I really think he will be a different player for Red!!

A player with Williams's measurables who can also hit 5/6 three pointers even once in a season is potentially a very valuable player.

I think we just might have gotten through his growing pains. It would be a shame to have him go somewhere else and finally realize the immense potential.
JB had a winning roster. he was right this was a tourney team. he just couldn't put the pieces together.

If he stays I trust its because the new staff sees a role for him. Otherwise I imagine they'd let him know that he's not in their plans.

Maybe he can fill the role I wish JG could have filled the past 4 years. That being a microwave gunner option off the bench. He's either on and gets minutes, or is off and sits.
I'd like the new staff to have this conversation with all returning players

Not to rain on CB's parade, but I wonder if he's too one-dimensional for the direction the program is headed.
I think Bell showed a lot of improvement as the season went on.

More importantly, his run and jump athleticism, length and height might fit into an up and down scheme better than what we had last year.

The slow it down, iso half court game takes a long time to learn to be effective. Don't get me started on the complexities and rotations and cohesion necessary to play the zone.

We saw how paralyzed Williams was on both sides of the ball his freshman year, and most of his soph year as well. Bell did ok at times on both sides, and looked lousy others.

Many of our guys will probably adapt better to the expected new system, without quite the learning curve.

Cooney had a lot of upper body strength. He would come off screens firing. He made some unbelievable shots in the ND game. I think he made 9 or 10 threes.

JB had a winning roster. he was right this was a tourney team. he just couldn't put the pieces together.
If your forwards won’t rebound, you are not a tourney team.

Not statistically. Joe averaged more points, more rebounds, more assists, higher FT% & 3Pt% than Cooney. Defensively you can say Cooney was better but only averaged .2 more steals per game. Eye test might make you think Cooney was better but "way better" ? No way.
Defensively he was WAY better. And that can’t simply be measured by steals.

Joe was a better offensive player though - better shooter, ball handler from the 2 spot, and passer.

Not statistically. Joe averaged more points, more rebounds, more assists, higher FT% & 3Pt% than Cooney. Defensively you can say Cooney was better but only averaged .2 more steals per game. Eye test might make you think Cooney was better but "way better" ? No way.
Steals aren’t an accurate way to say who’s a better defender. Trevor was light years ahead of Joe on the defensive end.

Defensively he was WAY better. And that can’t simply be measured by steals.

Joe was a better offensive player though - better shooter, ball handler from the 2 spot, and passer.
What used to drive me crazy about Cooney as a "shooter" was that he seemed to miss/be wildly inconsistent on wide open 3's. When guys like Buddy & JG3 are wide open, it's my expectation it's going in at a high clip... with Cooney, he could be standing alone with a half a court of space around him & I'm thinking "Yeah, I have no idea what this shot is going to do."

Last edited:
Cooney would have had more rebounds than Joe if he played on the teams Joe has played on.

What used to drive me crazy about Cooney as a "shooter" was that he seemed to miss/be wildly inconsistent on wide open 3's. When guys like Buddy & JG3 are wide open, it's my expectation it's going in at a high clip... with Cooney, he could be standing alone with a half a course of space around him & I'm thinking "Yeah, I have no idea what this shot is going to do."
Fair. Joe straight up shooting always feels like a make.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom