Class of 2014 - Chris mccullough | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 Chris mccullough

sure, no problem:

"That's probably the biggest difference, just how many things you have to accomplish with very limited time on the practice court," Stevens said."
relative to the number of games and turnaround between games, so even if they practice half as much the season is twice as long, plus preseason, plus off-season, plus guys that are not playing are probably doing more than light shoot arounds

relative to the number of games and turnaround between games, so even if they practice half as much the season is twice as long, plus preseason, plus off-season, plus guys that are not playing are probably doing more than light shoot arounds
dude...stop digging the hole deeper and just admit you were wrong on this one. It's ok, we're all wrong sometimes. It's part of what makes message boards such a great source of learning.

dude...stop digging the hole deeper and just admit you were wrong on this one. It's ok, we're all wrong sometimes. It's part of what makes message boards such a great source of learning.
Prove me wrong and I will admit it. You took one obscure quote from a coach and are interpreting it to fit your argument.

Prove me wrong and I will admit it. You took one obscure quote from a coach and are interpreting it to fit your argument.
suit yourself. We've wandered far off topic and I'm quite sure exactly nobody is interested in reading our back and forth, so I'll let the record speak for itself and bow out.

Can't wait for McCullough to get here and see what he can do!

Do you want me to write it again? Perhaps in larger font?

The NBA plays an 82 game schedule with frequent travel. They have light shoot arounds on the day of the game, but once the season starts they do not practice very often.

Don't believe me? Perhaps you'd believe Brad Stevens:
"Stevens has drawn nearly universal praise since and admitted game management and preparation have become more comfortable for him. The lack of practice time in a league filled with back-to-backs and 82 games has not. "That's probably the biggest difference, just how many things you have to accomplish with very limited time on the practice court," Stevens said."
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...s-tom-thibodeau-celtics-president-danny-ainge

They don't practice as much in the NBA because they're salaried employees. They're expected to go above and beyond the allotted practice times to improve upon their skills. If they don't and regress, they won't earn fatter contracts and wind up out of the league. Do you think LeBron only works out and shoots two hours a day?

suit yourself. We've wandered far off topic and I'm quite sure exactly nobody is interested in reading our back and forth, so I'll let the record speak for itself and bow out.

Can't wait for McCullough to get here and see what he can do!
you must be 13

http://assets.espn.go.com/nba/columns/carter_fred/1537641.html

"1. Time: Most people don't realize the amount of teaching these kids receive in the NBA before and after practice. In college there are time restraints on how long a player can be in the gym. In the pros there are no limitations, and these kids are practicing and playing with the best players in the world."

http://www.realclearsports.com/arti..._done_is_one_too_many_97885.html#.UtWzIJ5dVik

"- Practice time: NCAA off-season restrictions vs. unfettered NBA access"

Ya, I'm with Garbs on this one. Although Stevens may not get the practice time he wants to implement his stuff, the players are constantly practicing by themselves with nothing else to worry about. They are also playing more than twice as much as college players. In College, players not only have to find time to practice but also do their school work.

Not trying to make you feel bad, but this has zero to do with whether TE stays or goes. It's about the money. If it was your kid or you, it would be about the money. I know, I know, your about to reply, that's what I was saying, TE is drafted in the first round and gets his guaranteed 3-year deal and can't cut it defensively or in some other way and is out of the league. Has he maximized his money? Yes, he has. Cause there is no guarantees on whether anyone drafted in the first round makes it or not in the NBA beyond their rookie deal, and who is to say that if TE stays, the NBA cools on his abilities next year and beyond and then he doesn't even get a guaranteed rookie deal? You take what you get when you can get it. End of story.

Some people like to argue that Donte Greene made a mistake leaving SU when he did. That his NBA career would have been longer had he stayed longer at SU. I highly doubt it and possibly he might have lost money had he stayed at SU longer by being drafted lower. Why did CJ stay last year? Cause he found out the chances of him being a 1st rounder were slim at best. (No guaranteed dollars.) I believe if you are good enough to play in the league, you will stick. If you are not, then you won't. (Fringe guys sometimes stick for awhile because they have a skill set that compliments a team that needs it.) Moral of the story, "When the fire is hot, start cooking, otherwise you might end up getting nothing to eat." It's all dollars and sense/cents. Nothing else really matters. We'd like to believe other things matter, but they don't. (BTW, I'm sure JB advises kids in this exact same fashion. Take the money while the NBA wants you badly, cause no one knows what next year will bring.)

So why did Joakim Noah stay when he would have been #1 overall? Why did Marcus Smart stay when he could have been a lottery pick? Why did Jared Sullinger stay? Why did the big white dude at Michigan stay (McGrary?)? They all could have chased the $, but they enjoyed college. You only get a few years to play college ball and have that intensity that the pro's don't have when it comes to gameday atmospheres. You aren't going to get 30+k going nuts over you with fatheads in the crowd at a home game at any arena in the NBA. Sometimes it is nice to be "THE DUDE" as opposed to "a dude". There are a ton of cases where players stay another year when they could get guaranteed millions. Why do they do it? I'd assume it has to do something for their love of the game and the college atmosphere vs the colder business-like approach of the pro's, but I could be way off on this. So to summarize this, it's not ALWAYS about the money. Yes, money is great. It makes life easier and helps you do fun things, but it doesn't make you happy. I feel bad for people that think money = happiness.

So hey, I was really enjoying the incessant bickering the last few pages, but what's up with Chris McCullough?

I hear he is killing it at IMG and is planning on going to Syracuse next year to catch alley-oops from Tyler Ennis as the 30K+ in the dome chant MAC, MAC, MAC, MAC!!!!

So why did Joakim Noah stay when he would have been #1 overall? Why did Marcus Smart stay when he could have been a lottery pick? Why did Jared Sullinger stay? Why did the big white dude at Michigan stay (McGrary?)? They all could have chased the $, but they enjoyed college. You only get a few years to play college ball and have that intensity that the pro's don't have when it comes to gameday atmospheres. You aren't going to get 30+k going nuts over you with fatheads in the crowd at a home game at any arena in the NBA. Sometimes it is nice to be "THE DUDE" as opposed to "a dude". There are a ton of cases where players stay another year when they could get guaranteed millions. Why do they do it? I'd assume it has to do something for their love of the game and the college atmosphere vs the colder business-like approach of the pro's, but I could be way off on this. So to summarize this, it's not ALWAYS about the money. Yes, money is great. It makes life easier and helps you do fun things, but it doesn't make you happy. I feel bad for people that think money = happiness.
Noah was NEVER gonna be THE #1 overall pick. He's Dennis Rodman without the baggage. How's that choice working out for Mitch McGary? Some guys chose to stay in college. Its usually to up thier draft status. (See Fair, C.J.) or they know the status isn't going to change and they want ot get a degree, because they are never gonna be basketball millionaires, or they just like college. J.M. MacAdoo cost himself $MILLIONS by staying. HE also cost himself a huge amount of interest income. The stock market was up almost 35% last year. Assuming in 2 years he had stashed away $2,ooo,ooo.00 and assuming that his investmetns made 20%, not 35%, he lost out on an additional $400,000.00 this year, becausehe didn't leave after his freshman year,w hen he was a top 5-10 pick. Now, he will be lucky to go mid to late 1st round, if he comes out this year. NBA always prefers new and shiny. Why, because in the 2nd contract, they have you for a longer period of your peak.

There's more to life than just $. That's all. You can talk about interest on stock markets and all that jazz, but sometimes kids like being kids. Maybe Ennis stays, maybe he goes. Regardless we get McCullough next year and hes gonna beast.

There's more to life than just $. That's all. You can talk about interest on stock markets and all that jazz, but sometimes kids like being kids. Maybe Ennis stays, maybe he goes. Regardless we get McCullough next year and hes gonna beast.
You are right people focus on money too much, myself included, but there are other factors like maybe these kids are competitive and want to play with/against the best in the best league in the world.

You are right people focus on money too much, myself included, but there are other factors like maybe these kids are competitive and want to play with/against the best in the best league in the world.

I'm not denying that at all. Definitely several factors when it comes to deciding to stay/go and money is only one of them, even if it is a very important one. I'm just pointing out that even though someone has the potential to go, there could be many reasons they want to stay.

Didn't Carmelo want to stay his sophomore year? Looking at that draft class, it is doubtful he would have been taken #1 (Dwight Howard), but he could have easily gone #2 (Emeka Okafor) and at worst would have matched his #3 pick (Ben Gordon). I wonder what would have happened if Melo stayed his sophomore year like it is rumored he wanted to. We probably would have back to back NC's and JB would be viewed differently. Melo would still be Melo and would have put up just redonkulous numbers his Soph year. Fun to imagine what that would have looked like.

I'm not denying that at all. Definitely several factors when it comes to deciding to stay/go and money is only one of them, even if it is a very important one. I'm just pointing out that even though someone has the potential to go, there could be many reasons they want to stay.

Didn't Carmelo want to stay his sophomore year? Looking at that draft class, it is doubtful he would have been taken #1 (Dwight Howard), but he could have easily gone #2 (Emeka Okafor) and at worst would have matched his #3 pick (Ben Gordon). I wonder what would have happened if Melo stayed his sophomore year like it is rumored he wanted to. We probably would have back to back NC's and JB would be viewed differently. Melo would still be Melo and would have put up just redonkulous numbers his Soph year. Fun to imagine what that would have looked like.
or her could have had a career ending injury and been the biggest what if in the history of the game, next to Len Bias

which is probably why JB told him to leave

the 2014-2015 Orange could be the most talented team on the century thus far.

If we see Grant and Ennis come back... we'll have 3 first rounds (all potential lottery picks) and ...well

Cooney, Johnson, Gbinije, Rak, Coleman, ROBERSON, KJII, Chinoso and Buss.

How do you think that lineup would matchup vs the mid 2000s florida team and Davis' UK?

Granted we haven't seen Chris play yet, but having Ennis as a guard...that's the best favor you could do any athlete.

If Ennis and Grant are back next year...ohhhhh boy. Consensus overall #1, consensus favorite to win it all. Print the 40-0 shirts now! Heck print the 80-0 shirts because we're going 40-0 this year! Suck it Kentucky haha I kid I kid.

<Sigh> Just for added effect. <Sigh again>

1) Never said or implied anything remotely like money = happiness. Money does allow one to eat though, including one's family and some of these player's family's could use some eating money. You have a problem with them getting something to eat?

2) The examples Jared Sullinger and Mitch McGrary are incredibly bad examples for making your point. Both lost millions because they stayed and almost certainly both regret the fact that they did now.

3) Joakim Noah wasn't a #1, but he was financial more secure that 99% of other collegiate players. That almost certainly made a difference for him in his decision process.

4) Marcus Smart wrote the following when interviewed about his decision: "It took me a long time. I actually cried about it. It’s a hard decision for an 18-year-old kid, seeing that much money thrown at him, able to turn it down," Smart told DeCourcy. "It’s unthinkable. It’s unheard of. Nobody’s ever done that: a top-five draft pick turning that much money down, guaranteed, to come back to school for another year." Time will tell whether he comes to regret his decision or not. If he gets hurt between now and the end of this college basketball season, you better believe he'll regret it.

5) Is it nice to remain a kid? Sure it is. In some regards, there's still a big kid in me and I'm twice the age of any of these college players. So just because one goes pro, doesn't mean they have to stop all aspects of being a kid. Heck, your best example would be Tim Duncan. He stayed 4 years at Wake even though he didn't have to. I've also heard he's still an avid video game player. Guess he didn't loose all of the kid in him either.

6) You are right in one thing, it's not ALWAYS about the money. Just the vast majority of the time it is. And if JB wants to continue recruiting great players he has to tell the parents, "When the time comes, I will advise you and your child wisely and honestly about where I think they will be drafted based on my sources and how much money they will get, if drafted where my sources indicate. Then you can accurately assess if that is the right thing to do for you and your child." That is exactly what I would want to hear as a parent of a prospective future NBAer. Getting your hopes up that a projected first rounder at SU might stay is fool's gold at best.

7) Although you didn't write about this, plenty of guys do improve their games in the NBA. There are many examples of this. Was Lebron his rookie year the same Lebron we see today? Of course not. How about Roy Hibbert? I remember when he was drafted thinking at best he'd be a journey man player and have a 7 or 8 year backup center type career. Now he is literally one of the best centers in the NBA. What about Meta World Peace? He played a couple seasons at St. Johns and was a solid player there when deciding to leave school. Drafted with the 16th pick in the first round. Think he regrets leaving school early? He's had a 14 year NBA career at this point and is still going. One could go up and down NBA rosters and find guys who improved a great deal either in the NBA or via D-league and then getting into the NBA. Main reason I write this and some posters seem to think, once one leaves college, they have no chance of improving their game. That is a patently false concept.

8) If one is projected to be drafted outside the first round, they would be a fool to leave school early. Not simply for reasons that one is getting free room and board to work on the game, but also, and even more-so, a college education is worth something and giving up on that is foolish because as a non-first rounder, you might need something to fall back on in case major pro dollars never come your way. Yes, projected second rounders can often make money overseas, but nothing is guaranteed with that so it is best to get the degree and then pursue a Pro basketball career.

<Sigh> Just for added effect. <Sigh again>

1) Never said or implied anything remotely like money = happiness. Money does allow one to eat though, including one's family and some of these player's family's could use some eating money. You have a problem with them getting something to eat?

2) The examples Jared Sullinger and Mitch McGrary are incredibly bad examples for making your point. Both lost millions because they stayed and almost certainly both regret the fact that they did now.

3) Joakim Noah wasn't a #1, but he was financial more secure that 99% of other collegiate players. That almost certainly made a difference for him in his decision process.

4) Marcus Smart wrote the following when interviewed about his decision: "It took me a long time. I actually cried about it. It’s a hard decision for an 18-year-old kid, seeing that much money thrown at him, able to turn it down," Smart told DeCourcy. "It’s unthinkable. It’s unheard of. Nobody’s ever done that: a top-five draft pick turning that much money down, guaranteed, to come back to school for another year." Time will tell whether he comes to regret his decision or not. If he gets hurt between now and the end of this college basketball season, you better believe he'll regret it.

5) Is it nice to remain a kid? Sure it is. In some regards, there's still a big kid in me and I'm twice the age of any of these college players. So just because one goes pro, doesn't mean they have to stop all aspects of being a kid. Heck, your best example would be Tim Duncan. He stayed 4 years at Wake even though he didn't have to. I've also heard he's still an avid video game player. Guess he didn't loose all of the kid in him either.

6) You are right in one thing, it's not ALWAYS about the money. Just the vast majority of the time it is. And if JB wants to continue recruiting great players he has to tell the parents, "When the time comes, I will advise you and your child wisely and honestly about where I think they will be drafted based on my sources and how much money they will get, if drafted where my sources indicate. Then you can accurately assess if that is the right thing to do for you and your child." That is exactly what I would want to hear as a parent of a prospective future NBAer. Getting your hopes up that a projected first rounder at SU might stay is fool's gold at best.

7) Although you didn't write about this, plenty of guys do improve their games in the NBA. There are many examples of this. Was Lebron his rookie year the same Lebron we see today? Of course not. How about Roy Hibbert? I remember when he was drafted thinking at best he'd be a journey man player and have a 7 or 8 year backup center type career. Now he is literally one of the best centers in the NBA. What about Meta World Peace? He played a couple seasons at St. Johns and was a solid player there when deciding to leave school. Drafted with the 16th pick in the first round. Think he regrets leaving school early? He's had a 14 year NBA career at this point and is still going. One could go up and down NBA rosters and find guys who improved a great deal either in the NBA or via D-league and then getting into the NBA. Main reason I write this and some posters seem to think, once one leaves college, they have no chance of improving their game. That is a patently false concept.

8) If one is projected to be drafted outside the first round, they would be a fool to leave school early. Not simply for reasons that one is getting free room and board to work on the game, but also, and even more-so, a college education is worth something and giving up on that is foolish because as a non-first rounder, you might need something to fall back on in case major pro dollars never come your way. Yes, projected second rounders can often make money overseas, but nothing is guaranteed with that so it is best to get the degree and then pursue a Pro basketball career.

This whole thing obviously took a turn down the wrong street and got lost so lets just let it lie. We have differing opinions on the subject and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom