Class of 2014 - Chris mccullough | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 Chris mccullough

McCullough's transferring to Brewster (same prep school as Fair, plus Thomas Robinson and other high-major guys on an annual basis). It'll be interesting to see how he responds to being pushed a little harder.

McCullough's transferring to Brewster (same prep school as Fair, plus Thomas Robinson and other high-major guys on an annual basis). It'll be interesting to see how he responds to being pushed a little harder.

If So I hope he puts a good word in for Jared Terrell. I absolutley love that kids game. Looks like he has the potential to be a mix of Dion and Devendorfs game on offense. Also heard Vonleh may end up there. Both played in NH.

I always find it funny when a kid says a certain school is his "dream school" then 9/10 times they end up playing elsewhere lol.
Deron Lamb? ;)

What?

I was referring to the Peppas quote in BJ's original post (which didn't paste with the reply):

Visiting us memphis seton hall rutgers st johns this summer according to his aau coach

Deron Lamb? ;)
Julius Hodge aka Jules th_kglaugh.png

Julius Hodge aka JulesView attachment 1103
That was a stunner (St. Raymond, Bronx, right?)... After the snub, I think we took Hak instead and it turned out to be a blessing in the long run. Development was slower for Hak, but he morphed into Mr. Extendo towards the end of his career and played on the 03' NC team. Later Hak was taken (in the ultimate payback) ahead of Hodge in the NBA draft (2005?) and established himself as a survivor in the NBA (now with NO), while Hodge's career quickly fizzled.

But enough history -- I'm wondering about where we stand with McCullough ('14) and Lawrence ('13). I love Lawrence's game, but lately the only tidbits I'm hearing involve McCullough talking up the 'Cuse after the Ennis commitment. I think you said McCullough could re-clasify -- and both he and Lawrence are listed at PF. If this is correct it would seem like an either/or with those 2. Thoughts?

Lawrence plays the 3 (very good 3-pt range), McCullough is a 4 with inside power and rebounding game.

That was a stunner (St. Raymond, Bronx, right?)... After the snub, I think we took Hak instead and it turned out to be a blessing in the long run. Development was slower for Hak, but he morphed into Mr. Extendo towards the end of his career and played on the 03' NC team. Later Hak was taken (in the ultimate payback) ahead of Hodge in the NBA draft (2005?) and established himself as a survivor in the NBA (now with NO), while Hodge's career quickly fizzled.

But enough history -- I'm wondering about where we stand with McCullough ('14) and Lawrence ('13). I love Lawrence's game, but lately the only tidbits I'm hearing involve McCullough talking up the 'Cuse after the Ennis commitment. I think you said McCullough could re-clasify -- and both he and Lawrence are listed at PF. If this is correct it would seem like an either/or with those 2. Thoughts?
Hodge got shot/hurt, I believe. Likely would have had a similar career to Hak

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Haven't heard or read anything about him possibly re-classifying. Not sure how old he is, but don't think that is true.

Hodge got shot/hurt, I believe. Likely would have had a similar career to Hak

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2
I was thinking he got cut by the Bucs and then went to Italy. It could have been an injury, but strange that if hurt he would continue playing in Europe. But thanks for the added info.

Haven't heard or read anything about him possibly re-classifying. Not sure how old he is, but don't think that is true.

I thought Francis said it was possible, but not sure because we've discussed many '14 recruits (it could have been Selden?). At any rate (and even more importantly), what's nice to fantasize about is that we could get Lawrence in Ennis' class to take over for CJF and a year later bring in McCullough as successor to DC2/Rak inside.

Wiggins and Vonleh were the 2 players discussed as possible re-classifying

Wiggins and Vonleh were the 2 players discussed as possible re-classifying
Yes that rings a bell. Thx. (I think selden reclassified also from 14 to 13).

correct
As far as Rondae versus Wayne, Scout notes that Jefferson's outside shot is suspect. This may or may not be true (or outdated). There's almost no information given about Selden, so I'd like to know how their games compare. I think General had an upthread post to the effect that Selden is a possible waiters prodigy who can attack pressure and get to the rim ... which is what I thought Jefferson's game was. Which one would fit our system better?

As far as Rondae versus Wayne, Scout notes that Jefferson's outside shot is suspect. This may or may not be true (or outdated). There's almost no information given about Selden, so I'd like to know how their games compare. I think General had an upthread post to the effect that Selden is a possible waiters prodigy who can attack pressure and get to the rim ... which is what I thought Jefferson's game was. Which one would fit our system better?

Just personal opinion of course but I see Selden as being very similar to Dion and Rondae being similar to Josh Pace but I think Rondae is a better athlete without as high of a basketball IQ as Pace has which was always under valued IMO. I think Selden is a better fit in the system because we have been playing very tall and long over the pass few years and I see that trend continuing and Selden is and will always be IMO a better guard the Rondae who I see as a SF that is an above average passer but not a guard. I also think Rondae would be battling with longer SF with better shooting range for minutes and would have a hard time getting minutes. And remember we still have Gbinije if we want to play small.

From what I have seen on Zagsblog, McCullough's outside shot has improved. He even talked about having 3pt type range. If McCullough actually ends up developing that kind of range, it seems tougher to imagine recruiting both him and Lawrence.

Lawrence's recruiting sounds like he is starting to think Kentucky, as they have started showing a bit of interest. He probably wants to hold out to see if they will offer.

That's just my guess, based upon what i have read. It would be nice if some of these players would start making a decision, but it seems like the recent trend is to try and play the waiting game. At least for some of the kids that SU is interested in.

From what I have seen on Zagsblog, McCullough's outside shot has improved. He even talked about having 3pt type range. If McCullough actually ends up developing that kind of range, it seems tougher to imagine recruiting both him and Lawrence.

Lawrence's recruiting sounds like he is starting to think Kentucky, as they have started showing a bit of interest. He probably wants to hold out to see if they will offer.

That's just my guess, based upon what i have read. It would be nice if some of these players would start making a decision, but it seems like the recent trend is to try and play the waiting game. At least for some of the kids that SU is interested in.

Just my opinion, but I think Lawrence and McCullough can play together, and in fact would be fantastic together in Syracuse's system. Its what I am hoping happens actually.

As for Selden or Jefferson, its hard for me to say who I like better because I have not seen enough of Jefferson.

I see them both as secondary options to Carter-Williams sticking around for a while. If he does, there just isnt enough playing time to lure a top recruit like Selden or Jefferson when they could go elsewhere and be a star.

Just my opinion, but I think Lawrence and McCullough can play together, and in fact would be fantastic together in Syracuse's system. Its what I am hoping happens actually.

As for Selden or Jefferson, its hard for me to say who I like better because I have not seen enough of Jefferson.

I see them both as secondary options to Carter-Williams sticking around for a while. If he does, there just isnt enough playing time to lure a top recruit like Selden or Jefferson when they could go elsewhere and be a star.

I'm literally drinking a (craft) beer over the idea that we have a chance of pairing Lawrence and McCullough as successors to DC2/Rak in SU's future front court. That's good stuff.

At the same time (could be the beer), I'm trying to understand why you see MCW (who's a PG) as any obstacle to Selden/Jefferson (both SG's) in the 2013-14 season. If anything, it would seem like Cooney and Gbinje would be the the only ones possibly in the way.

Selden could play some point, no doubt. But judging from the recruiting threads I've been reading (including some of your posts), he's a volume scorer built to slash at the 2 and break down defenses. Why wouldn't he or Jefferson jump at the chance to play with dime-machines like MCW or Ennis? And for that matter, why wouldn't JB want another uber-athletic 2-guard to compliment MCW/Ennis ... having just come off a successful season with DW complimenting Scoop?

As far as Cooney and Gbinje (both will be nice players down the road), Selden and Jefferson are 5 star guys who are unlikely to be intimidated by existing program players.

I'm literally drinking a (craft) beer over the idea that we have a chance of pairing Lawrence and McCullough as future frontcourt-mates. That's good stuff.

At the same time (could be the beer), I'm trying to understand why you see MCW (who's a PG) as any obstacle to Selden/Jefferson (both SG's) coming in next season. If anything, it would seem like Cooney and Gbinje would be bigger obstacles. No doubt Selden could play some point, but from the recruiting threads I've been reading (including some of your posts), he's a DW-type volume scorer who's built to slash at the 2 and break down defenses. Why wouldn't he or Jefferson jump at the chance to play with distributors like MCW or Ennis? And for that matter, why wouldn't JB want a volume scorer/penetrator in the backcourt as an athletic compliment to MCW or Ennis, just as he did by bringing in DW to compliment Scoop)?

Not to mention that since Selden and Jefferson are 5 star players, if either plays to his ranking, he'd walk past (soph) Cooney and first year (rs) Gbinje and probably start from day 1.

Basically, I am looking at how many minutes will be available.

If Carter-Williams stays for his Jr. year he will eat up 30+ minutes a game - no room at that position. Cooney and Gbinije will be tough for a freshman to displace (there is a reason Boeheim brought Gbinije in, its not to sit the bench, and everybody agrees Cooney is a player). That leaves precious little room for a 5 star freshman shooting guard to break in.

On the other hand, if Carter-Williams leaves we are in a situation where Ennis is the only point guard on the team, and I'm honestly not sure he can handle coming in and playing 30+ minutes a game as a freshman. In that scenario we may be better off without a true point, and with a guy like Seldon who can handle the ball and break the press (imagine having both Waiters and Jardine as freshman as your only point guard options, wouldn't you want Waiters, or at least the option of going with Waiters at the point a good amount of the time?). In that situation I see Seldon playing against pressure D teams, and Ennis playing more when the D backs off and we need a true point to initiate the offense. Overall, I think Seldon would play more, and I think Boeheim can sell Seldon on coming in and getting a lot of minutes right off the bat on what will otherwise be a top team.

With Carter-Williams, I just dont see the type of minutes that a guy like Seldon or Jefferson will want being there, which is why I say my first choice is having Carter-Williams stick around, and my back up plan is Seldon or Jefferson.

Maybe this is why Lawrence and a bunch of other elite recruits are waiting until the spring .. to see if guys like Rak and MCW jump.

I for one hope MCW is the next 2 and done player for us. I like the idea of having very good 4 year players, and elite 2 years players. I think the mix is sustainable for long term success at an elite level and gives us the stability to be very good every year. MCW was a McDonald's all-American none of those players are trying to play 4 years in college so we need them to go pro early and be drafted highly to continue getting 5 star players. Those how aren't ready can go from the 2 year track to the 4 year track.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom