Coach and Cooney | Syracusefan.com

Coach and Cooney

bballbeadle

Woman of a certain age
When watching the replay (for me) of the LaTech game, I saw that during the first time out Boeheim shoved Trevor and was very angry. I was shocked, because I don't know if I have ever seen him get physical with a player before. Trevor certainly came alive during that game, though! I didn't bring it up to the board because it seemed - I don't know - negative. But today someone at work asked me about it and wondered what our board thought? I said, "I don't know! " If this was discussed, I missed the entire thread, and so apologize.

But I thought I would ask: what was that about? Does anyone know?

interesting. I saw him get angry with Trevor and more animated than usual but did not see the shove at all.

Any approximation on time? I can check it out and get back to you...

yeah I saw the same thing and commented on twitter about it. I thought it was a little out of the norm for JB but he seems to be more on edge all the time with this team. Don't think it was a big deal.

Ditto, we saw it here also and thought that kind of physical reaction was not the MO of JB. Having said that, Trevor really lit it up after. Was it because of this JB action? who knows.

Wow I'm surprised no one caught on to this before. (or the media)

Hope it doesn't happen again

Saw it during the game and JB was not very happy at all with Cooney. I couldn't read JB's lips but Cooney is the most experience guard out there and he can't have lapses with the inexperienced guards we currently put out there. JB is depending on Cooney to be a leader, not only vocally but by example as well.

I am not, however, endorsing JB's physicality (I've never seen that either as far as I recall), but its clear that the way we are playing is starting to get to JB. As long as Cooney response in a positive way I can let it slide into the ether. And it seems, that most players under JB, have to learn to take what ever criticism JB dishes out and turn it into a positive anyway - thick skin, its a part of the JB system :)

I saw it as well and was very surprised (and alittle disappointed to be honest). I have watched many SU games since 1971 and have never seen JB ever put his hands on a player. I honestly think he's alittle lost and frustrated at this year's team but that is not an excuse. His demeanor reflects his frustration at the way the team is playing and at his inability to "fix" the problem. Also don't like him throwing the team and specific players under the bus on a constant basis--he's done it before but on more of a selective basis as a motivational tool. Really don't expect this season to end well if the team doesn't improve signficantly--could see JB finally walking away, especially if the NCAA sanctions are severe or if they will be mitigated by his departure--a sad ending to be sure.

I saw it and thought no big deal. It wasn't that bad.

Agree. Nothing to it. He was angry that Cooney was not fighting through the high screen. Just lazy defense. This is a really frustrating team. This is Cooney's 4th year here. Gbinije, Cooney, and Christmas need to be models for the younger players in terms of smart and hard play. Way too many lapses out there.

I don't know if I would even call it a shove or push - not sure what I'd call it but it wasn't at all "physical" - but yeah still out of the norm for JB

I don't know if I would even call it a shove or push - not sure what I'd call it but it wasn't at all "physical" - but yeah still out of the norm for JB

I would call it a grab, he didn't shove. He put both hands on him and gave him a Charmin squeeze, like wake the . It was the most physical I have ever seen him get with a player, but I don't think he crossed that line.

apparently it worked and didn't seem to impact Cooney negatively from an emotional or on-court standpoint. No biggie, as long as it doesn't become commonplace, which it won't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom