Coach Brown Intro Press Conference: Monday 10 AM | ACC Network | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Coach Brown Intro Press Conference: Monday 10 AM | ACC Network

Can someone confirm if the media asked where he sat at the Kickoff Classic in 1997? Curious about that answer. Sleepless about it really

from what I recall...he sort of rolled his eyes saying he didn't remember and then pointed up towards the ceiling - somewhere up there.

big difference between reporters in Athens vs reporters in Syracuse. These guys are going to all love working here in terms of the media.

Some of these questions….where did you sit at the game against Wisconsin 26 years ago? Seriously? I was there and couldn’t tell you where I sat other than on the shady side of the stadium. It was hotter than hades and Wisconsin fans sat in the sun. But the heck does it matter?

I’m ok with that question, given where Syracuse football has been for two decades. Very few guys coming in can talk credibly about believing Syracuse can be good in football - most view this as a terrible job which is at best a stepping stone. Getting Brown to talk about his memories of the Wisconsin - Syracuse game gives him an opportunity to create a credibility with casual fans.

I get that everyone here wants to know what offense he’ll run, what he looks for in a QB, etc - but that stuff is so far off the radar for 95% of people in Syracuse. Giving Brown a chance to expand on his Syracuse football memories is a chance to create enough of a link to the past that maybe some of those not-even-casual fans decide to buy some tickets next year to check the new guy out.

Some of the other questions were terrible though.

EDIT - my brother, who is at best a casual fan, checked out the highlights of Brown’s PC (only because I was telling him about it, otherwise he wouldn’t care). The comment about being at the Wisconsin - Syracuse game captured his attention and was the only thing my brother commented to me on - “At least we got a guy who remembers when we didn’t suck”.

Last edited:
Every new head coach "wins" the press conference but Fran did it in a different way with his authenticity. I still have reservations about the nitty gritty stuff - X's and O's, game planning, etc - but it's hard not to get excited after hearing him speak.

A breath of fresh air behind the mic. Doing what he needs to do to change perceptions & take us to the next level. I’m encouraged he thinks we are not far off.

It also struck me that this was a moment that only a few people - and Fran Brown being one of them - could make happen. Pulling in high level recruiters right away brings new energy and excitement, if not for fans then for potential new hires. It’s an amazing way to kick things off and really only a handful of people could have made that happen.

I love that no one here had any idea Fran Brown was possible and what he could bring. The owl of Minerva flies at midnight, wrote Hegel, meaning we learn the wisdom of a thing only after an event is over. Applies to his head coaching career as well but what a grand start today.

My favorite quote (and forgive me as I won’t get the verbiage 100% correct) was speaking about life and coming from a challenging environment growing up…don’t let your circumstances dictate your outcome. That’s a man who gets it.

yep...that stood out to me. Something about don't let circumstances or situations dictate your outcome.

You'd assume the current staff (or as many as remain til then) are going to coach the bowl game.
They're familiar w the current players and schemes, etc.

Would be insanity for a new staff, new systems, etc, to try to get that rolled out in the 15 allotted practices.
Or to expect them to coach to the current schemes, with which they're not familiar.
He actually answered this quetion and let us know the old staff will run bowl prep.

He said he will be at practice to evaluate players and coaches but if he is a distraction he will leave and watch from afar. To me this says the old staff is coaching.

This is ideal since we can be both practicing for a bowl game AND be out recruiting at the same time.

I was able to keep one eye and ear on the press conference. Definitely excited for this guy, our team and community. I heard ER mentioned as DC. Did an OC name get floated by chance?

Every new head coach "wins" the press conference but Fran did it in a different way with his authenticity. I still have reservations about the nitty gritty stuff - X's and O's, game planning, etc - but it's hard not to get excited after hearing him speak.
He said LQA can talk to this OC about plays he likes to run and X's & O's.
Fran isn't going to X & O the players. That's why you hire Coordinators and a staff.

I've been trying to find the word to describe this transition to HCFB and what it means for the program and I keep coming back to "maturing."

Financially, the school is stepping up in a way we haven't seen, maybe ever. Wildhack knows the window to be a part of the show when the music stops is very thin. It's now or never.

At a recruiting level, it's been recognized the caliber of player needed to increase, and the commitment to reach that has been established with Fran and Elijah Robinson, and soon to be others.

SU is finally starting to play big-boy ball that the others have been playing for decades, and today is a day to be proud of for a future that at glance seems very bright.

At a national level, we're coming.

1. Who will be the OC
2. QB room is very thin. Will you address thru Portal or is there a chance a True Freshman starts next year
3. How many current players do you expect to leave, and have you spoken to those you definitely want to stay
4. What should a fan's realistic expectations be for next year, knowing it will take some time to get your fingerprints on this program

Rather than

1. Where did you sit at the Kickoff Classic in 1998
I think 1 is definitely a legitimate question, but the guy has been in Syracuse less than 24 hours. No doubt he has a lot to juggle, but I would think any spare second he has had is working on a new staff and not yet being able to identify the strengths and weaknesses of questions 2 and 3. Unless he is going off the opinions of Nunzio and any other coaches. Question 4 might not be able to be answered until spring practice.

Maybe they still should have been asked. But, no doubt the local media is softer than a lot of places and want to maintain a good working relationship.

Crawford isn’t the best speaking but he’s working on it. At least, he asked a good question. Got Fran to shed light on his thoughts on the portal (will probably evolve) but I get recruiting HS is what he does best. Also about the praying stuff is cool even though it’s not my thing. Think he also uses as a way to face up what you got going on more than pure religion. Pumped about how excited he is to practice and let alumni in that are willing. It opens up another veil for fans to see when Alumni are speaking on access. Finally, I’m not gonna hold him on where he’s coaching at 48 based on this press conference. He’s excited, which is positive.

Crawford isn’t the best speaking but he’s working on it. At least, he asked a good question. Got Fran to shed light on his thoughts on the portal (will probably evolve) but I get recruiting HS is what he does best. Also about the praying stuff is cool even though it’s not my thing. Think he also uses as a way to face up what you got going on more than pure religion. Pumped about how excited he is to practice and let alumni in that are willing. It opens up another veil for fans to see when Alumni are speaking on access. Finally, I’m not gonna hold him on where he’s coaching at 48 based on this press conference. He’s excited, which is positive.
Yes, Fran said he would look at a one year portal guy if he was NFL caliber. Two years is better to be able to develop. HS kids are even better to be able to develop.

Recruiting HS kids can have a payoff a year or two later in the portal.

I am also going to equate that with the fact that his mother had him at 13, and he knows he is a girl dad and having parents present will be important. Lots of respect for this...
It can come as a shock to you when you realize you're older than the coach of the team you grew up rooting for.

Many people just learned they're also older than the coach's mother.

Takes a set of stones to say you're the Syracuse Football Coach for life at your intro presser. I respect it.
He doesn’t even realize he is implying he won’t fail. He’s only thinking he won’t leave because of wild success. He’s not out of the box, he doesn’t even know what box everyone keeps talking about

Never underestimate a PHD who sees the light and never stops running to it

Poor Hungry Driven

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom