Coach K's "Amazing" Press Conference | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Coach K's "Amazing" Press Conference

As it should be, the refs didn't whistle a 50/50 play where two players were being aggressive and came to an independent collision.

As a relevant point, the refs will, and should, benefit that type of play on both sides.

That ball easily could have careened and gone to a Duke player, but it didn't. We ended up with it.

If you are relying on that type of call, you should lose the game. Duke had plenty of chances to win that game and didn't convert. It happens.

Addressing the call in the post-game just seems so beneath him. What does he have to prove? He's arguably the greatest college basketball coach ever. He just won a title last year. He's coaching the 2016 USA team and already has Olympic gold.

This really seems like an old man just being grumpy.
I agree with most of this. However John Wooden is still the best college basketball coach of all time, even if he doesn't have the top win total.

Only a Tyrant thinks everything should go their way every time . I'm sure the Duke program is guilty of more serious infractions than Syracuse but he gets a free pass. If the NCAA had not waged a war against JB since 1988 he would have the most wins and the most championships other than Wooden. K would never be able to deal with what Jim has had to and would have quit coaching long ago in a similar circumstance. So to see him act like that really shows how far his narcissism has progressed.
I don't see how you can say JB would have the most championships besides Wooden. Wins I'll grant you, as he was only 50 or so behind K in that area before the 101 were taken away. But championships since 1988? That doesn't even include the only really plausible championship, the one we lost in 1987 in a buzzer beater. 1996 wasn't that close a loss as I recall. We lost in the semis a few years ago. Where are you getting the other championships from? The year we lost Fab Melo? That's possible at least. The year we lost Onoaku? That was to an injury. You can't blame that on the NCAA. What other years do you have in mind?

I agree with most of this. However John Wooden is still the best college basketball coach of all time, even if he doesn't have the top win total.

I won't argue that. Best, second best... I can see the argument either way.

I'm an NBA guy, so neither is as awesome as Pop to me ;)

You're right--it IS amazing. Because two years ago, the refs intervened to snatch a potential victory from us on a bogus secondary offensive foul call on a made bucket by CJ Fair. So you can understand K's confusion about not getting intervention again to help them overcome last night's two point deficit.

Teams have literally been getting raped by lopsided officiating at Cameron indoor stadium for decades. And he wants to whine about a close non-call that didn't go his way?

The thing about that game is you have to understand the situation. Way different than today. We were in our first year in the league. We won our first 25 games which was the most to start a year any ACC team had in a really long time. We then were #1 in the nation and had already beat North Carolina and Duke. We were going down to Duke with the loss to BC but that's it. If you watched some of the other games we played on the road the officiating had been against us for a while, I believe the Clemson game was one of the worst even though we won. There is no way they were going to let us go 3-0 versus the tobacco two and win the league. Also for what it's worth on a whole the officiating in the game at UVA was 100 times worse than the game at Duke that year. It's just the last call was a complete screw job.

Only a Tyrant thinks everything should go their way every time . I'm sure the Duke program is guilty of more serious infractions than Syracuse but he gets a free pass. If the NCAA had not waged a war against JB since 1988 he would have the most wins and the most championships other than Wooden. K would never be able to deal with what Jim has had to and would have quit coaching long ago in a similar circumstance. So to see him act like that really shows how far his narcissism has progressed.

When you are talking about the infractions Duke has committed were you speaking of Lance Thomas getting jewelry while there or Chris Duhon and Carlos Boozers parents getting new great jobs in Durham. Or were you talking about Corey Maggette getting paid while in college which he admitted during an FBI investigation. Just curious. The more specific you are when you post the better.

I don't see how you can say JB would have the most championships besides Wooden. Wins I'll grant you, as he was only 50 or so behind K in that area before the 101 were taken away. But championships since 1988? That doesn't even include the only really plausible championship, the one we lost in 1987 in a buzzer beater. 1996 wasn't that close a loss as I recall. We lost in the semis a few years ago. Where are you getting the other championships from? The year we lost Fab Melo? That's possible at least. The year we lost Onoaku? That was to an injury. You can't blame that on the NCAA. What other years do you have in mind?

I think he is saying when the NCAA game the first time to slow the program and the Big East down in general. He had brought in big recruit after big recruit (Coleman, Billy Owens, Pearl, Sherman) and was playing a fun fast paced style of basketball. I will pick another year. When we lost to Illinois because Coleman had a bad back. We lost game by 1 possession.

I think he is saying when the NCAA game the first time to slow the program and the Big East down in general. He had brought in big recruit after big recruit (Coleman, Billy Owens, Pearl, Sherman) and was playing a fun fast paced style of basketball. I will pick another year. When we lost to Illinois because Coleman had a bad back. We lost game by 1 possession.
Ok but that's another injury that I don't see how you pin on the NCAA. Also I don't know what round it happened in but it wasn't the championship game for sure.

He had Jason Kidd , Donnyell Marshall and Ed Obanon coming and we lost them. That would have started a dynasty , which is why they sabotaged it .

He had Jason Kidd , Donnyell Marshall and Ed Obanon coming and we lost them. That would have started a dynasty , which is why they sabotaged it .
According to Wikipedia you are correct about Marshall. But Kidd's page lists four college teams he spurned and none were Syracuse. As for O'Bannon, he did bail out on a team that was on probation. But it was UNLV not Syracuse

"
Well, to be fair, this is like an earthquake to them. The ground below their feet is opening up. They don't know what the heck is going on. Since I have been in a fair level of pain at various times in my Syracuse fandom, I do feel sympathy for fans - and even a coach - who are on the downhill of the roller coaster ride and feeling the pain.]"

duke has the top 2 recruits in the nation coming to play next year. feel sorry for their program ? not in the least.

Last edited:
According to Wikipedia you are correct about Marshall. But Kidd's page lists four college teams he spurned and none were Syracuse. As for O'Bannon, he did bail out on a team that was on probation. But it was UNLV not Syracuse
Look it up in old Post Standard articles , he had a dream team coming in.

th
For some reason Marv Albert comes to mind ...LOL

What's "amazing" is I thought we would have seen a press conference by now with him apologizing to our players for not shaking their hands after the game. He's officially Mr.Snub after this or just Snubber for short.

Seeing if K will shake our player's hands after the next Duke game will be a big story leading into the game.

CousCuse said:
Look it up in old Post Standard articles , he had a dream team coming in.

Kidd nor O'bannion were coming here. The other player we lost was Lou Roe.

Kidd nor O'bannion were coming here. The other player we lost was Lou Roe.
It was a long time ago, but what I do remember clearly was Syracuse was a hot ticket after that national championship appearance and was going to part of the very top in recruiting until the "NCAA" sent their goons to kneecap the program.

Actually, I believe what was said. K did shake some hands then appeared to be distracted and stopped. That's what it looks like on the video.
If you believe that, then I've got a beachfront property to sell you in Oklahoma.

One of the great NCAA games. Just fun. Our games with Doug Smith's Missouri teams were always good games.

I can't believe what my ears heard on gameday just now. Jay Williams actually faulted coach k for the handshake incident, and everyone else on the panel defended coach k. Wow..

HC snivelus ksnipes storms off quidditch pitch refusing to shake harry potters hand after match ends with controversial quaffle call.

010212_coachk1.jpg

Last edited:

Donyell, yes. Never heard the other two.

Jalen Rose was scared off though. He loved Cuse, but had concerns about the talent level with Owens leaving early and probation looming. Can't say it was a lock though because the fab five thing at his home state school may have been impossible to beat anyway. But it was a factor.

Pathetic. Just saw this. Coach K the crybaby. CRYY!!!! CRY MORE PLEASE FOR US COACH K...

Can't wait to see the "Amazing" tshirts that will be rolled out for the next Duke game. Perhaps we should start the ball rolling....

"Bite Me! It's Amazing!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom