Coach K's "Amazing" Press Conference | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Coach K's "Amazing" Press Conference

Its great, I remember the Duke players making fun of JB in the aftermath of the Coat game...fair enough, and JB actions afterward were less then a shining example, but JB never intentionally skipped opponent players in the hand shake line, NEVER. Kiss my ass Duke.

THIS^^^^. It is one thing for a coach to do something inappropriate that pretty much only involves himself or even his own players, but another to dis the opposing team players. That was the lowest and most "amazing" form of low class I have seen. The handshake at the end is the ultimate form of true sportsmanship, and especially at the collegiate level, for such a well respected coach to do that, was such a sad sight to watch.

On the Duke board he is being criticized for not taking off his jacket.
I posted this on the news side, FYI:

The "Cameron Games" are reminding me of Aesop's fable "The North Wind and the Sun," with each team playing to see what it can do to make the opposing coach rip off his coat. I think JB's initial rip let the crowd and officials know that Syracuse wasn't going to tolerate business as usual at Cameron. Yesterday's game must seem like a paradigm shift to the Dookies. We've got more great games to come down in Tobacco Road . . . let 'em rip!-VBOF

Nor have I ever seen JB go to the scorer's table after a game to berate and cry to an official. Very strange behavior by Coach K.
When I watch that again, the official has a look on his face that seems to be saying "you finally get to see what all of the other teams feel when they come in here. Do you really think I am going to lift a finger for this? I'm an ACC official, not a Duke official"

I think I agree with K as someone else said it was amazing. When that collision happened I was convinced they were going to call it and I thought there maybe was a delay on the whistle because of crowd noise. In fact I looked at my wife and said, "I'm amazed they didn't call that ."

I think I agree with K as someone else said it was amazing. When that collision happened I was convinced they were going to call it and I thought there maybe was a delay on the whistle because of crowd noise. In fact I looked at my wife and said, "I'm amazed they didn't call that . . . . ."

That was old Big East basketball going on at the end there. I loved that the refs let them play instead of a bail out whistle. It took a football tackle to get a whistle and not some cry baby who ran his hand into someone's mouth and had the nerve to complain. Take that crap to Cellino & Barnes.

Last edited:
Boeheim has his take here, credit to Brent Axe :confused:

http://www.syracuse.com/axeman/inde...not_skip_handshake_line_to_look_for_refs.html

"He came down the handshake line, somebody told me from who was sitting there, that he was upset with some Duke students who were yelling at our players," Boeheim said. "He was looking at them. The referees were long gone at that time. I heard people on radio today talking about how he was looking at them, but that's not the case, from what I understand. He wouldn't do that. He doesn't like Duke students yelling at players. He's very tough about that. He's as classy as any coach. "

Boeheim has his take here, credit to Brent Axe :confused:

http://www.syracuse.com/axeman/inde...not_skip_handshake_line_to_look_for_refs.html

"He came down the handshake line, somebody told me from who was sitting there, that he was upset with some Duke students who were yelling at our players," Boeheim said. "He was looking at them. The referees were long gone at that time. I heard people on radio today talking about how he was looking at them, but that's not the case, from what I understand. He wouldn't do that. He doesn't like Duke students yelling at players. He's very tough about that. He's as classy as any coach. "

Sounds like a friend standing up for a friend that he knows is a good person who made a mistake.

Coach K may be good friend, and stand up for others when needed, but when it involves Duke directly he becomes a petulant, cheating bully.

It's interesting that one of those students that he went to talk to was an ACC Vice executive.

Sounds like a friend standing up for a friend that he knows is a good person who made a mistake.

Coach K may be good friend, and stand up for others when needed, but when it involves Duke directly he becomes a petulant, cheating bully.

It's interesting that one of those students that he went to talk to was an ACC Vice executive.
Actually, I believe what was said. K did shake some hands then appeared to be distracted and stopped. That's what it looks like on the video.

As it should be, the refs didn't whistle a 50/50 play where two players were being aggressive and came to an independent collision.

As a relevant point, the refs will, and should, benefit that type of play on both sides.

That ball easily could have careened and gone to a Duke player, but it didn't. We ended up with it.

If you are relying on that type of call, you should lose the game. Duke had plenty of chances to win that game and didn't convert. It happens.

Addressing the call in the post-game just seems so beneath him. What does he have to prove? He's arguably the greatest college basketball coach ever. He just won a title last year. He's coaching the 2016 USA team and already has Olympic gold.

This really seems like an old man just being grumpy.

The Duke fans around me surely thought it was their game. Sweat? Stress? Nope. They thought it would happen. And it didn't.

Edit: I thought it would happen, too. But it didn't. The difference was I happened to be elated. Others around me in blue? Shell shocked. And it was a beautiful thing to witness. Oh... How beautiful?
One of the fans behind us was crying, yes, actually crying... An adult.

th

Difficult to storm the floor when except for the family & friends seated behind the Syracuse bench the rest of us SU fans were scattered all over the arena 2,3 or 4 per section. Cameron is a wonderful...I mean AMAZING...venue for a basketball game but keeping this bandbox at 9000 seats locks out the visiting team from any decent representation of fans. Then to pride themselves on being a very tough place to play is a bit funny when you practically ensure nearly no fans from the visiting team can get in. Let me use that word one more time...AMAZING!! I do want to add every single Duke fan and person we talked with, asked questions of or just passed along the way, was nothing but top shelf friendly, gracious and congratulated us for the good game.
Agree.. Most fans around us were friendly. We did get told to go home by the woman behind us.

Well, to be fair, this is like an earthquake to them. The ground below their feet is opening up. They don't know what the heck is going on. Since I have been in a fair level of pain at various times in my Syracuse fandom, I do feel sympathy for fans - and even a coach - who are on the downhill of the roller coaster ride and feeling the pain. I got to the point just a couple short weeks ago that I dreaded going to and watching the games.

UNC game got me back on the right track, though. That was awesome.

Just viewed the video. . . I guess I'll stop saying "$H1t Happens" and say "Amazing Happens!" It's SO much more gentile, and it'll keep reminding me of this win -- the amazing gift that keeps on giving.:rolleyes:-VBOF
Finally got around to watching it too. In the Coach K dictionary Amazing is defined as B_ _ _ S_ _ _.

THIS^^^^. It is one thing for a coach to do something inappropriate that pretty much only involves himself or even his own players, but another to dis the opposing team players. That was the lowest and most "amazing" form of low class I have seen. The handshake at the end is the ultimate form of true sportsmanship, and especially at the collegiate level, for such a well respected coach to do that, was such a sad sight to watch.

You know...

I defended K [somewhat] earlier in this thread, but had a similar reaction to you once I watched the press conference. What a whiny F*** to sit there and complain that way after a loss. Talk about an inflated sense of entitlement.

Aw... they didn't get one call that would have artificially put them in position to win. Too bad, because they got that benefit of the doubt 99 other times in 99 other home games. What an "amazing" douchebag reaction.

Well, to be fair, this is like an earthquake to them. The ground below their feet is opening up. They don't know what the heck is going on. Since I have been in a fair level of pain at various times in my Syracuse fandom, I do feel sympathy for fans - and even a coach - who are on the downhill of the roller coaster ride and feeling the pain. I got to the point just a couple short weeks ago that I dreaded going to and watching the games.

UNC game got me back on the right track, though. That was awesome.

Still there is a difference between a fan and a coach. And he can be upset, I don't disagree with that. I might not like his whining etc, but he can do that. But he can't be classless in not shaking hands with the opposing players. The coach sets the example that his own players live up to.

In the long scheme of things, I am sure Coach K is sorry he did this. And he is overall a classy guy. But he made a mistake, and probably the right thing to do would be to publicly apologize. I know there are administrators on here who know Coach K well from time spent with him and team USA and JB. So I trust their opinion of Coach K. That is part of why I always had a world of respect for him, and not necessarily for other coaches that are rival coaches. But what happened in that line yesterday was wrong. Period.

In the long scheme of things, I am sure Coach K is sorry he did this. And he is overall a classy guy. But he made a mistake, and probably the right thing to do would be to publicly apologize. I know there are administrators on here who know Coach K well from time spent with him and team USA and JB. So I trust their opinion of Coach K. That is part of why I always had a world of respect for him, and not necessarily for other coaches that are rival coaches. But what happened in that line yesterday was wrong. Period.
Only a Tyrant thinks everything should go their way every time . I'm sure the Duke program is guilty of more serious infractions than Syracuse but he gets a free pass. If the NCAA had not waged a war against JB since 1988 he would have the most wins and the most championships other than Wooden. K would never be able to deal with what Jim has had to and would have quit coaching long ago in a similar circumstance. So to see him act like that really shows how far his narcissism has progressed.

Not to mention spaz plumblee was out of bounds when he caught passes at lease 3 times

I was saying that to my wife every single time he caught the pass on the baseline...sean brought it up once on the broadcast

I was saying that to my wife every single time he caught the pass on the baseline...sean brought it up once on the broadcast
A number of commenters here have posted that. I didn't see it but if anyone has a clip, I would like to see it. Maybe like the refs, I wasn't watching well :)

I did notice Allen seemed to travel a few times (stutter steps) that were not called.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom