Coach Mac | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Coach Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's fine, not everything is about wins and losses. If we see marked improvement (which we are undoubtedly seeing this year), I'm willing to have more patience with such a young team. Shaf gets a pass in my book and I think next year will be enormous. I still think we win 5-6 games this year.

Yes, that is what I say about 11 year old daughter's lacrosse team after they lose.

Coach speak nonsense. We already whiffed on trying to hire a Pete Carroll type. Fans often don't like certain hires, doesn't mean anything. THE USC brass got lucky as he was about their 4th or 5th choice.
Do you ever make a positive post? I would pay more attention if you were less dismissive of everyone's opinion but your own.

Do you ever make a positive post? I would pay more attention if you were less dismissive of everyone's opinion but your own.

I do and I just think you are really grasping at straws. You really think Shafer will prove to be a special coach? I mean come on! wake up. His upside is pathetically average IMO but then again this is the land where we celebrate 6-6 like we just won the Sugar Bowl and another 2 star recruit like he's Fournette. so forgive me if I am little tired of reading the love fest for a coach who is 13-19 like he's an unpolished gem when he is beginning to look like another poor hire that will set the program back even further. we recruit at the bottom of the ACC and that is celebrated as well.

SHOW ME SOMETHING!!! A BIG WIN! SOMETHING!!! that is all I ask. He has not one big win in 3 years, not one. he has not one near miss versus a really good football team.

Last edited:
Year 3 isn't win now, that is the whole point and like I said and have said 1,000 times he needs to win a couple coming in because I really don't see much validity in your point of view if he can't do that. people are having a tough time seeing the approach because right now he just looks like a mediocre to bad football coach, which won't get it done at Syracuse.. The offense stills stinks and the recruiting is the most overblown part of the argument. Marrone had a really good class put together if he stayed in 2012 for a guy that could not recruit. In addition, haven't seen one flash of brilliance in his entire tenure, no big wins, nothing like the other coaches we have had other than GROB. I think you are kidding yourself but like I said, he has 5 more games this year and most likely next to prove his worth but he hasn't yet.

You can call me overly pessimistic but I think it's a legit outlook and fair as to what we have seen SO FAR. Go win a big game Shafer, show something. Outcoach someone, out scheme someone, anything for people to get excited for. Get a big win. I want the guy to succeed but can't continue to bury my head in the sand either

Ithaca Barrel, you need to stop this, you cannot have two positive replies that are 100% on money in the same thread. You will make some posters head explode.
seems about right.

I do and I just think you are really grasping at straws. You really think Shafer will prove to be a special coach? I mean come on! wake up. His upside is pathetically average IMO but then again this is the land where we celebrate 6-6 like we just won the Sugar Bowl and another 2 star recruit like he's Fournette. so forgive me if I am little tired of reading the love fest for a coach who is 13-19 like he's an unpolished gem when he is beginning to look like another poor hire that will set the program back even further. we recruit at the bottom of the ACC and that is celebrated as well.
Regarding recruiting, We can bring in Christ himself ( or insert your favorite deity ) and were not getting 4 and 5 star recruits, so we look for a coach that can find talented 2 and 3 star guys, I believe SS has done that,

Yes, that is what I say about 11 year old daughter's lacrosse team after they lose.
Not to go off topic but did your play in the lax tourney in Ithaca last weekend? Obv mine did which is why i'm asking

SHOW ME SOMETHING!!! A BIG WIN! SOMETHING!!! that is all I ask. He has not one big win in 3 years, not one. he has not one near miss versus a really good football team.

We won a god damn bowl game. Sorry.

Regarding recruiting, We can bring in Christ himself ( or insert your favorite deity ) and were not getting 4 and 5 star recruits, so we look for a coach that can find talented 2 and 3 star guys, I believe SS has done that,

Actually GROB recruited 4 and 5 star athletes. At a higher clip than Marrone or Shafer. If I am not mistaken. Why because we still were riding the tails off our best run in program history. Then he drove it off the cliff and Marrone overachieved in a middling big east to return us to a middle of the pack position. Then we had to rebuild again (as our program/players were not positioned for this new conference) but only in a harder conference, and Shafer quitted himself nicely winning a bowl game in year one. Then the recruiting shortfall showed in 2014 when Hunt and really the entire team got hurt. and now the recruiting victories (albeit still room for improving) are not competing at the ACC level as very young guys.

People want to get back to where we were without allowing it to build. It makes no sense to me.

for shafer to be a special coach, he would need a much better track record on defense.

at stanford michigan and syracuse, they have averaged 56th in yards per play with the median season being 61st.

best to worst ranking

what is the point of having a defensive head coach who is so ordinary on defense?

he was good at western michigan but everyone looks good there, who cares.

Actually GROB recruited 4 and 5 star athletes. At a higher clip than Marrone or Shafer. If I am not mistaken. Why because we still were riding the tails off our best run in program history. Then he drove it off the cliff and Marrone overachieved in a middling big east to return us to a middle of the pack position. Then we had to rebuild again (as our program/players were not positioned for this new conference) but only in a harder conference, and Shafer quitted himself nicely winning a bowl game in year one. Then the recruiting shortfall showed in 2014 when Hunt and really the entire team got hurt. and now the recruiting victories (albeit still room for improving) are not competing at the ACC level as very young guys.

People want to get back to where we were without allowing it to build. It makes no sense to me.

Good post.

I understand that. I don't have issue with Marrone or Shafer as a recruiter, I just think people oversell Shafer's prowess here because what else can you point to as positive? that his kids like him?

for shafer to be a special coach, he would need a much better track record on defense.

at stanford michigan and syracuse, they have averaged 56th in yards per play with the median season being 61st.

best to worst ranking

what is the point of having a defensive head coach who is so ordinary on defense?

he was good at western michigan but everyone looks good there, who cares.

Millhouse your go to stat is YPP. LOL I love the tenacity , but mix it up a bit.

When does outdoor stop, I would have thought everyone had moved indoors by now.

That was it for us, my two girls go to swimming now but I think they still practice once a week indoors

I understand that. I don't have issue with Marrone or Shafer as a recruiter, I just think people oversell Shafer;s prowess here because what else can you point to as positive? that his kids like him?

I can point to quite a bit more than recruiting. But its worth noting that Marrone was just so terrible at recruiting and certainly IMO could not have done it to compete in the ACC.

That was it for us, my two girls go to swimming now but I think they still practice once a week indoors

got it. Kids playing outdoors in this weather is funny. Parents huddled up and they are out there in tees and shorts. LOL

Oh cool, weather was a bit rough but it always is
Thats CNY...Does your daughter play year round? This week my daughter starts indoor lax...Seems like it lax never stops in CNY...Sorry again to go off topic...Last post about lax

Very fair question.

I would like to think the offensive shortcomings over the last 8 years (Marrone and Shafer) have led to some increases in key metrics used to evaluate defenses. Actually this year its working opposite. Our YPP (For you millhouse) on offense is increased, lots of long strikes, more than I can remember, is putting the defense out there (see Time of Possession). Problem is now we are young on Defense and are making the mistakes ya see there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom