Coach Mac | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Coach Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to think the offensive shortcomings over the last 8 years (Marrone and Shafer) have led to some increases in key metrics used to evaluate defenses. Actually this year its working opposite. Our YPP (For you millhouse) on offense is increased, lots of long strikes, more than I can remember, is putting the defense out there (see Time of Possession). Problem is now we are young on Defense and are making the mistakes ya see there.

4th quarter run defense per play is a little better than 1st quarter

4th quarter pass defense per play is much better than 1st quarter

we're not gassed in the first quarter

I would like to think the offensive shortcomings over the last 8 years (Marrone and Shafer) have led to some increases in key metrics used to evaluate defenses. Actually this year its working opposite. Our YPP (For you millhouse) on offense is increased, lots of long strikes, more than I can remember, is putting the defense out there (see Time of Possession). Problem is now we are young on Defense and are making the mistakes ya see there.

Very astute. Agree 100% about how it is impacting our offense this year.

4th quarter run defense per play is a little better than 1st quarter

4th quarter pass defense per play is much better than 1st quarter

we're not gassed in the first quarter

Cuz teams are slowing it down you think? Or because they are able toget what they need on 3-4-5 yard plays.

Very astute. Agree 100% about how it is impacting our offense this year.
even if that's true, there have been lots of stretches where teams get a lead and shut it down. end of last year and end of 2011. so there's been times where he benefits in a strange way from a bad offense

and lots of other coaches he's getting compared score a lot more than we do which leads to opposing offenses taking more risk and getting rewarded with more yards.

evens out, it's a lot of seasons

Cuz teams are slowing it down you think? Or because they are able toget what they need on 3-4-5 yard plays.
not sure i understand. i think they're bad in yards per play because they're bad. i don't think the offense is hurting them nearly as much as being bad on defense does

even if that's true, there have been lots of stretches where teams get a lead and shut it down. end of last year and end of 2011. so there's been times where he benefits in a strange way from a bad offense

and lots of other coaches he's getting compared score a lot more than we do which leads to opposing offenses taking more risk and getting rewarded with more yards.

evens out, it's a lot of seasons

That's true, but it doesn't change that our TOP, yards, scoring, and plays are down THIS YEAR because we aren't getting teams off of the field.

It isn't the only reason, but it is a factor. A significant one.

Thats CNY...Does your daughter play year round? This week my daughter starts indoor lax...Seems like it lax never stops in CNY...Sorry again to go off topic...Last post about lax

Ithaca has an indoor program but it really scales down because most of the girls on the team that my daughter is on play hockey as well but like I said my kids swim. I think they may practice once a week in the winter but my kids don't usually participate. The current 7th and 8th grade girl's team in Ithaca is really really good but they play year round much more so than the league below.

first quarter yards per play would be 103rd in the country if they were that bad the whole game.

second quarter would be 31st

third quarter would be 118th.

4th quarter would be 39th

hard to pin that on being tired when they're way worse after a good rest

i'm not saying there's anything special about which quarter it is but if fatigue is a factor, it shouldn't look like this

Millhouse said:
for shafer to be a special coach, he would need a much better track record on defense. at stanford michigan and syracuse, they have averaged 56th in yards per play with the median season being 61st. best to worst ranking 7 26 48 59 61 65 72 74 91 what is the point of having a defensive head coach who is so ordinary on defense? he was good at western michigan but everyone looks good there, who cares.

YPP on defense is less important than on offense. I prefer scoring/overall/3rd down %/TFL/TO's a gauge.

Bending on D is okay if you're getting off the field on 3rd down, creating havoc, and TO's. You might give up yards being aggressive but it's a fair trade off.

YPP on defense is less important than on offense. I prefer scoring/overall/3rd down %/TFL/TO's a gauge.

Bending on D is okay if you're getting off the field on 3rd down, creating havoc, and TO's. You might give up yards being aggressive but it's a fair trade off.
your yards per play on defense is someone else's yards per play on offense. so how can one be worth more than the other

orangeinjersey said:
But those werent his players! Remember, the cupboard was bare!!

It was. It was a well coached team that eeked out wins vs peer programs with a less than average offense and a pretty good defense.

Millhouse said:
your yards per play on defense is someone else's yards per play on offense. so how can one be worth more than the other

We run a high risk, high reward defense. We'll give up yards in favor of creating havoc behind the line.

if you had told nebraska they would have fired the 8-10 win coach to get riley and have the worst record in 55 years would they have done it now? win/loss records are not always an indicator of what direction a team is going in

if you had told nebraska they would have fired the 8-10 win coach to get riley and have the worst record in 55 years would they have done it now? win/loss records are not always an indicator of what direction a team is going in

What direction does Riley have them going in? Doesn't look good to me. Mike had a pretty good track record at OSU, did more with less as the little brother to OU but he has stunk this year. Really bad. He's a Corvallis guy probably never should have left, That said, he had some success and did have a couple of off years but man has he got a shitE storm on his hands.

Now I could go into excuses as to how he has lost a few games but the record is the record.

Shafer doesn't care about that, he just cares about creating the conditions to win one play in a possession.

We run a high risk, high reward defense. We'll give up yards in favor of creating havoc behind the line.

I agree. but my only question is and I cant figure out why is, why when we rush do we always get burned on the short pass. some one better at x and o need to explain that for me.

What direction does Riley have them going in? Doesn't look good to me. Mike had a pretty good track record at OSU, did more with less as the little brother to OU but he has stunk this year. Really bad. He's a Corvallis guy probably never should have left, That said, he had some success and did have a couple of off years but man has he got a shitE storm on his hands.

Now I could go into excuses as to how he has lost a few games but the record is the record.

That's because the second you switch a coach it becomes a rebuild

That's because the second you switch a coach it becomes a rebuild

Are we classifying all rebuilds the same? Is it a synonymous rebuild when the coach hired is an inside hire vs. outside and whom had already been embedded in the program for 4 years prior to taking over the head gig?

My understanding in Gross' hiring of SS was to avoid a rebuild scenario...maintain direction and status quo.

Last edited:
My understanding in Gross' hiring of SS was to avoid a rebuild scenario...maintain direction and status quo.

Let's hope not. Anyone who said they wanted to maintain the status quo should have been fired.

Let's hope not. Anyone who said they wanted to maintain the status quo should have been fired.

Exactly.

Shafer/Bullough got better on D.
Shafer/McDonald got much worse on O.
Shafer/Lester have us back on track on O.

= More time

Are we classifying all rebuilds the same? Is it a synonymous rebuild when the coach hired is an inside hire vs. outside and whom had already been embedded in the program for 4 years prior to taking over the head gig?

I am saying every job is a rebuild. Shafer and Marrone didn't see eye to eye on every recruit.

Maintain direction and status quo, is the full quote. I'll clarify, my understanding (coming off an impressive blow out of WVA in the Pinstripe Bowl) was that the program had positive momentum, the ship was righted and apparently headed in the right direction...onward, if not upward. The SS hire was to keep it going that way, or maintaining that same state of affairs...hence, the status quo. Slice it any way you want, fact is, SS's current record is 13-19 overall and without some monumental and unforeseen victories down the stretch will only increase his losing percentage. That is even worse, sub status quo...which certainly isn't anything hoped for.

Maintain direction and status quo, is the full quote. I'll clarify, my understanding (coming off an impressive blow out of WVA in the Pinstripe Bowl) was that the program had positive momentum, the ship was righted and apparently headed in the right direction...onward, if not upward. The SS hire was to keep it going that way, or maintaining that same state of affairs...hence, the status quo. Slice it any way you want, fact is, SS's current record is 13-19 overall and without some monumental and unforeseen victories down the stretch will only increase his losing percentage. That is even worse, sub status quo...which certainly isn't anything hoped for.
In Mac's 4th year they had a winning season and won a bowl game. In his fifth they had a losing record. In his 6th they were 11-0-1. Just goes to show you sometimes the patterns you think have meaning, don't.

In Mac's 4th year they had a winning season and won a bowl game. In his fifth they had a losing record. In his 6th they were 11-0-1. Just goes to show you sometimes the patterns you think have meaning, don't.
5th he started 0-3 which begat the "sac mac pac " fans are dopes

which shows up in yards per play. that's how you balance the risk and reward. just looking at TFL doesn't tell you much. hawaii is third

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom