Coach Mike Cavanaugh to Arizona State | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Coach Mike Cavanaugh to Arizona State

Has there been any information released about spring practice dates? What makes you think it's a "few weeks away?" I thought we were in a holding pattern, but I could have easily missed something.

I remember in December ADJW said they still plan on having Spring Ball, although who knows if that has changed. And you're right, the dates are not set yet but my personal opinion is I would think they still want to start Spring Ball sometime in March.

A change might be good -- someone younger & on the rise in coaching.

But in fairness to Cav, the 2018 OL with Conway and Martin at the OT spots was our best line since 2013 and good by SU standards (and yes, a running QB helped). The 2019 line was way too young with Vettorello and Bergeron; the line-ups were in flux with injuries to veterans (Heckel, in particular), and before Bergeron (true frosh) was ready to take over at R-OT, we had that South Florida transfer who arrived in August. Not really the fault of Cav that his predecessors had no upper class talent developed to take over. The 2020 line -- well, we all know the injury situation. Who exactly are the "best players" who did not play, as a result of any coaching decision?
It is true there have been some extenuating circumstances while Cav was here. This past season there were a series of injuries unlike I have ever seen happen with the OL position group. Cav did well coaching players who were coached by other coaches for years previously. But that isn't going to happen for an OL coach at a job except his first year, if he is lucky.

During his time on the hill, it took months for players to learn their assignments. Some never have. Players routinely are unblocked on passing plays. I don't see adjustments being made. Normal improvement has been slowed or just stopped happening.

Ryan Alexander started over Bergeron for half a season. He was amazingly bad. No way Bergeron wasn't better. Or Pat Davis for that matter.

After Heckel got hurt in the opening game against Liberty i 2019, Servais was moved to center. He was a disaster there and the line didn't improve until he was moved to tackle with 4 games left in the season. Vet or Froumy would have been much better choices. You don't take your best OL and move him to a position where he is a bad OL, and ensure make 2 positions weak as a result.

Just my opinion on all of these things. I am normally very pro coach. But to my eyes, things were never going to be right with the OL until a change was made. Like I said, I think part of it is that Cav had little experience in the Babers scheme, didn't really understand what was needed to make it work and never really caught on.

I like Coach Cav and I wish him well at Arizona State.

A change might be good -- someone younger & on the rise in coaching.

But in fairness to Cav, the 2018 OL with Conway and Martin at the OT spots was our best line since 2013 and good by SU standards (and yes, a running QB helped). The 2019 line was way too young with Vettorello and Bergeron; the line-ups were in flux with injuries to veterans (Heckel, in particular), and before Bergeron (true frosh) was ready to take over at R-OT, we had that South Florida transfer who arrived in August. Not really the fault of Cav that his predecessors had no upper class talent developed to take over. The 2020 line -- well, we all know the injury situation. Who exactly are the "best players" who did not play, as a result of any coaching decision?
Very fair post. Its easy to point the finger at one guy. The O line failures was a collective effort. It was brewing prior to his arrival.

With CLs contacts. If she says "good points, however it may be someone else ". She knows it is someone else or another name is definitely in the mix. Any hints CL?
Who me? I just think there is a possibility of someone else being hired.

Reactions: 007
OL coach at Army?
There was a poster from neb that said their o line was bad with cav has their o line coach, he wished syracuse good luck with his hire.

lol exactly! what a head scratcher that is but Mr herm edwards i thank you lol
Again on what football planet has Dino proven he's wiser than Herm? Not upset he's leaving but herm knows football

With CLs contacts. If she says "good points, however it may be someone else ". She knows it is someone else or another name is definitely in the mix. Any hints CL?
Head coach
So we’re saying Herm took Cav because he knows football but we’re glad he’s gone because Dino doesn’t

Just trying to get it worked out
These guys no each other.
Could it be related to his wife's situation. Mayo Arizona?

My wife's brother & his wife live in Phoenix. Her Dad's side of the family is basically in AZ - Tucson, Phoenix & Scottsdale. We visit every year or 2. You could not pay me to live there year round. I walk out the door and immediately sweat. It's unbearable. I don't care for the snow, but I'll take Syracuse over Phoenix 8 days a week. Although the property taxes (or lack thereof) are nice!
Your body will quickly acclimate to to weather.

So we’re saying Herm took Cav because he knows football but we’re glad he’s gone because Dino doesn’t

Just trying to get it worked out
No not what I'm saying. I am saying that Herm has a deeper and steeper track record than Dino and if he sees something in Cav that it might not have been all Cav that was/is the problem here.

No not what I'm saying. I am saying that Herm has a deeper and steeper track record than Dino and if he sees something in Cav that it might not have been all Cav that was/is the problem here.
Its a results business. He was the OL coach so its mostly on him. The results regardless of reasons or excuses were pathetic. Im thrilled we have an opportunity to upgrade the staff. I hope Dino goes all out for Fuchs as he would be a major upgrade.

Aside from the other names thrown out on here Fuchs and Mattox I have a few more to throw in the mix.
No past relationship with the current staff so these are just available names.

Joe Wickline. Nearly 40 years in coaching. Most recently let go from Baylor. Has coached at Florida, Ole Miss, West Virginia, Texas, and Ok St.

Jack Bicknell Jr. From New Jersey and played at Boston College where his dad was HC. Most recently on Malzahns staff at Auburn. Also coached at Ole Miss, Dolphins, Steelers, Chiefs, Giants, and was HC at Louisiana Tech.

Ed Warriner from Ohio. Most recently at Michigan. Could possibly stay on staff as off field position but he could come here and be oline coach again. Coached at Minnesota, Ohio St, Kansas, Illinois, Army, amongst others.

I remember in December ADJW said they still plan on having Spring Ball, although who knows if that has changed. And you're right, the dates are not set yet but my personal opinion is I would think they still want to start Spring Ball sometime in March.
When SU moved the start of their spring semester into early February, there was an article that said something like 'the impact this will have on spring football is currently unknown'.

COVID clusters restriction zones in NYS are almost all gone. The COVID rates in upstate NY in general and in Onondaga County specifically have gone down significantly since that holiday surge.

SUAD is discussing opening the dome to basketball fans (students and staff only) in a couple of weeks. Assuming COVID remains under control, I think we will probably see 'normal' fans in the stands for lacrosse games.

Given all this, I fully expect spring football to be played. There might be some people out with COVID or COVID scares on and off but I am confident spring football will happen this year.

There was a poster from neb that said their o line was bad with cav has their o line coach, he wished syracuse good luck with his hire.

Yeah but we've also learned that Nebraska fans are idiots to. Just look at the coaches they've run out of town.

There was no denying Cav's resume. A lot of us thought he'd be good because of that experience but we also thought it might be a bad fit coming into Dino's system. Oh well, the truth is always somewhere in the middle.

Very fair post. Its easy to point the finger at one guy. The O line failures was a collective effort. It was brewing prior to his arrival.

Is it possible that the running backs contributed to the O line woes? Doesn't the offense rely on the running back to call out line assignments at the line of scrimmage? If true it's not hard to imagine a rookie running back having more than a little difficulty remembering his assignment and making O line adjustments as well.

Yeah but we've also learned that Nebraska fans are idiots to. Just look at the coaches they've run out of town.

There was no denying Cav's resume. A lot of us thought he'd be good because of that experience but we also thought it might be a bad fit coming into Dino's system. Oh well, the truth is always somewhere in the middle.
Running backs calling line assignments is a bad idea. Maybe Dino needs to get back to letting the center call assignments like other teams do.

Is it possible that the running backs contributed to the O line woes? Doesn't the offense rely on the running back to call out line assignments at the line of scrimmage? If true it's not hard to imagine a rookie running back having more than a little difficulty remembering his assignment and making O line adjustments as well.
Yeah, Im sure there was some mis communication at times with a rookie RB and it might have caused some issues but it's minimal in comparison to the problems the line had as a whole.

Running backs calling line assignments is a bad idea. Maybe Dino needs to get back to letting the center call assignments like other teams do.
The running backs are not calling out line assignments. They are calling the play. The QB, RB and O line all need to be on the same page no matter what. The RB making verbal calls immediately locks them in mentally and makes it easier for them to know their assignment and be on the same page with the line.

Aside from the other names thrown out on here Fuchs and Mattox I have a few more to throw in the mix.
No past relationship with the current staff so these are just available names.

Joe Wickline. Nearly 40 years in coaching. Most recently let go from Baylor. Has coached at Florida, Ole Miss, West Virginia, Texas, and Ok St.

Jack Bicknell Jr. From New Jersey and played at Boston College where his dad was HC. Most recently on Malzahns staff at Auburn. Also coached at Ole Miss, Dolphins, Steelers, Chiefs, Giants, and was HC at Louisiana Tech.

Ed Warriner from Ohio. Most recently at Michigan. Could possibly stay on staff as off field position but he could come here and be oline coach again. Coached at Minnesota, Ohio St, Kansas, Illinois, Army, amongst others.
Did Wickline overlap w/ Dino at Baylor? If so, that would make a difference

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom