Coach Mike Cavanaugh to Arizona State | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Coach Mike Cavanaugh to Arizona State

What is Coach George DeLeone doing? Of course, he also thinks he is an offensive coordinator.

George I think is an "analyst" for Baylor. His son Mark is the LB coach for the Bears.

What is Coach George DeLeone doing? Of course, he also thinks he is an offensive coordinator.

Thinks?

Yeah, because the offense was horrible when he was here.

Hopefully he is enjoying his semi retired life in Texas.

Lived in Tucson. Hated it. Except for the Mexican food which was so good.
I lived in Tucson for 10 years and absolutely loved it. Still miss the weather and the landscape. Scottsdale is an awesome place if you have money.

I like Fuchs resume. He's a very good line coach. Just keep things in perspective, he went to a team where the players and culture was developed prior to him. That matters a lot. He did elevate them but the running backs are a big part of their success also. I like what he was able to get out of them in pass pro. They were one of the best in the country. I do wonder why he hasn't been picked up by a P5 team. He should be one of the hot names after the season UB had running the ball.
He was also the oline coach at North Dakota state, earning a 43-2 record, and 3 FCS national championships. Seems like the real deal.

He was also the oline coach at North Dakota state, earning a 43-2 record, and 3 FCS national championships. Seems like the real deal.
Best of luck to Cav and his family.

Curious why people think Mattox is a good hire here. I just looked at his resume and he has gone to new schools every single year for the last decade. He is transient and I would think hard to gauge. I get the friendship thing with the staff but what has he done that’s so good that you can actually say was because of him?

Curious why people think Mattox is a good hire here. I just looked at his resume and he has gone to new schools every single year for the last decade. He is transient and I would think hard to gauge. I get the friendship thing with the staff but what has he done that’s so good that you can actually say was because of him?
I think the big pro with him is that he knows the Babers scheme from the OL perspective probably better than anyone on the planet.

No offense to Cav, but I will remember his time here as a time when the OL was always confused, the best players often didn't play and no one seemed to be on the same page. When you are bring into a new scheme and start from scratch, it is hard to catch up.

Cav never did.

Someone like Fuchs, who has shown he can identify players with raw potential and develop them into serviceable players, is intriguing. At this point, it should be clear to everyone we are not going to be bringing in OL each class that are finished products ready to go. If we are to have a good solid OL, we will need to develop players over time. Gotta have coaches who excel at development. That and identifying players with a lot of potential.

Can Mattox develop players and turn middling prospects into accomplished starting players? Not sure. I know UTSA improved a lot on offense once he came on board. His OLs have played a big role in a lot of offenses that scored a lot of points over the past decade.

I think the big pro with him is that he knows the Babers scheme from the OL perspective probably better than anyone on the planet.

No offense to Cav, but I will remember his time here as a time when the OL was always confused, the best players often didn't play and no one seemed to be on the same page. When you are bring into a new scheme and start from scratch, it is hard to catch up.

Cav never did.

Someone like Fuchs, who has shown he can identify players with raw potential and develop them into serviceable players, is intriguing. At this point, it should be clear to everyone we are not going to be bringing in OL each class that are finished products ready to go. If we are to have a good solid OL, we will need to develop players over time. Gotta have coaches who excel at development. That and identifying players with a lot of potential.

Can Mattox develop players and turn middling prospects into accomplished starting players? Not sure. I know UTSA improved a lot on offense once he came on board. His OLs have played a big role in a lot of offenses that scored a lot of points over the past decade.
Good post and good thoughts.

They've had success together at different places. Continuity and relationships can go a long way.

Cav never did.

Gotcha...thanks!

Lived in Tucson. Hated it. Except for the Mexican food which was so good.

My wife's brother & his wife live in Phoenix. Her Dad's side of the family is basically in AZ - Tucson, Phoenix & Scottsdale. We visit every year or 2. You could not pay me to live there year round. I walk out the door and immediately sweat. It's unbearable. I don't care for the snow, but I'll take Syracuse over Phoenix 8 days a week. Although the property taxes (or lack thereof) are nice!

Cav never did.

I have been pushing Fuchs for awhile. His teams regardless of school, scheme, geographic location have always done well. In my opinion he is a home run hire.

To me the question with Fuchs and any other top notch coach that is employed is do they believe that Dino has at least two years left to take care of his business? If Fuchs believes Dino is in a do or die year then I think Dino will have to sell hard on how he expects to turn things enough so that Fuchs doesn't feel he is moving from a stable situation to a one and done.

To me the question with Fuchs and any other top notch coach that is employed is do they believe that Dino has at least two years left to take care of his business? If Fuchs believes Dino is in a do or die year then I think Dino will have to sell hard on how he expects to turn things enough so that Fuchs doesn't feel he is moving from a stable situation to a one and done.

That's another reason why I think the hire could be Mattox. His relationship with Sterlin would make it more likely he'll come plus I think Dino wants someone who can hit the ground running with Spring Ball a few weeks away.

Love it! I'm very excited about this development. I've been super consistent about my displeasure with him as the OL coach.

wow im shocked by that, arizona st. taking him and somewhat relieved because i never really thought he was that good anyway! But they have to go out and find themselves a good offesive line coach Because the last few seasons have been flat out dreadful, embarrassing. So I guess the good thing is there's nowhere to go but up

Last edited:
We have had a bad OL since he got here. Asterisks and injuries aside, I don’t know how I’d sell this if I’m Herm.

**but upgrade time**
lol exactly! what a head scratcher that is but Mr herm edwards i thank you lol

That's another reason why I think the hire could be Mattox. His relationship with Sterlin would make it more likely he'll come plus I think Dino wants someone who can hit the ground running with Spring Ball a few weeks away.
Yeah agreed. Makes allot of sense after reading everything.

. . . .

, , , ,
A change might be good -- someone younger & on the rise in coaching.

But in fairness to Cav, the 2018 OL with Conway and Martin at the OT spots was our best line since 2013 and good by SU standards (and yes, a running QB helped). The 2019 line was way too young with Vettorello and Bergeron; the line-ups were in flux with injuries to veterans (Heckel, in particular), and before Bergeron (true frosh) was ready to take over at R-OT, we had that South Florida transfer who arrived in August. Not really the fault of Cav that his predecessors had no upper class talent developed to take over. The 2020 line -- well, we all know the injury situation. Who exactly are the "best players" who did not play, as a result of any coaching decision?

Has there been any information released about spring practice dates? What makes you think it's a "few weeks away?" I thought we were in a holding pattern, but I could have easily missed something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom