Cole Swider to hire an agent and declare for the NBA Draft | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Cole Swider to hire an agent and declare for the NBA Draft

Someone convince me this will not end up being Jim Boeheim path of least resistance - Cole scholly goes to Ballard, done and done.

PS - Good luck Cole. Please list your school as Syracuse in your pro bios going forward.
You might be right, but I believe replacing Swider is more important than replacing Anselem, who would only be an 8-minute player.

You might be right, but I believe replacing Swider is more important than replacing Anselem, who would only be an 8-minute player.
Might be different if a scholarship was available on top of the one needed for a backup center. How awesome would it be if we could hit on a Wesley Johnson? Oh, to dream...

I don't think both can be true. If our strategy building this roster is not to get someone really good because we are worried about Bunch of Taylor leaving that's a huge mistake.

I don't think you are following. We should be hoping the freshmen are better than advertised and looking to find a replacement for Cole.

I don't think you are following. We should be hoping the freshmen are better than advertised and looking to find a replacement for Cole.
Of course we should be hoping they are better than advertised. How often has that been the case? Neither forwards are top 100 recruits we have seen recruits much higher ranked come here and struggle a bit.

Part of me (hoping incorrectly) feels that Boeheim is setting this team up for his successor. I know JB is competitive and wants to win, with that said it makes sense.

Bring in a influx of young guys, develop them early and often. The new coach whether it’s Red, Hop, or GMac will have a core nucleus with lots of experience. There will also be the familiarity and game tape to see who has it and who doesn’t.

Obviously this can be flawed because JB would actually have to play the young bucks and we would have to retain the roster.

I see no other logical explanation as it just makes complete sense to replace Cole with a proven D1 player. The only issue with that is it’s a short term fix for next year, unless we get a young guy with talent to transfer.

I’m trying to rationalize not replacing Cole, it’s the only thing that makes sense to me. Unless JB really believes this group will be impactful from the start, which I can’t imagine he’d want to rest on that with recent poor seasons.

My wife just asked me this question: Is JB not interested in acquiring a Cole replacement from the "Portal" because he's still hoping that maybe Jimmy could get another year of eligibility?

I had forgotten about what JB said back in January as reported by Mike McAllister on his SI site:

Syracuse basketball forward Jimmy Boeheim will petition the NCAA for a fifth season in order to return to the Orange for the 2022-23 season, head coach Jim Boeheim said during his weekly radio show Thursday night.

I seem to remember somewhere in here later on that someone (maybe Dasher?) had said the family was no longer interested in pursuing that angle? But in light of the Cole news and JB's supposed reluctance to look elsewhere for a forward who can shoot - even though we have only one other "collegiately proven" shooter on the roster - I couldn't help but wonder about such a turn of events.

Any thoughts or information anyone might have on the subject would be greatly appreciated ... and hopefully might make me feel less dejected after the high of the Judah wave came to a crashing halt!

Part of me (hoping incorrectly) feels that Boeheim is setting this team up for his successor. I know JB is competitive and wants to win, with that said it makes sense.

Bring in a influx of young guys, develop them early and often. The new coach whether it’s Red, Hop, or GMac will have a core nucleus with lots of experience. There will also be the familiarity and game tape to see who has it and who doesn’t.

Obviously this can be flawed because JB would actually have to play the young bucks and we would have to retain the roster.

I see no other logical explanation as it just makes complete sense to replace Cole with a proven D1 player. The only issue with that is it’s a short term fix for next year, unless we get a young guy with talent to transfer.

I’m trying to rationalize not replacing Cole, it’s the only thing that makes sense to me. Unless JB really believes this group will be impactful from the start, which I can’t imagine he’d want to rest on that with recent poor seasons.
If we aren't replacing him.. Where on earth are the points coming from next year?

My wife just asked me this question: Is JB not interested in acquiring a Cole replacement from the "Portal" because he's still hoping that maybe Jimmy could get another year of eligibility?

I had forgotten about what JB said back in January as reported by Mike McAllister on his SI site:

Syracuse basketball forward Jimmy Boeheim will petition the NCAA for a fifth season in order to return to the Orange for the 2022-23 season, head coach Jim Boeheim said during his weekly radio show Thursday night.

I seem to remember somewhere in here later on that someone (maybe Dasher?) had said the family was no longer interested in pursuing that angle? But in light of the Cole news and JB's supposed reluctance to look elsewhere for a forward who can shoot - even though we have only one other "collegiately proven" shooter on the roster - I couldn't help but wonder about such a turn of events.

Any thoughts or information anyone might have on the subject would be greatly appreciated ... and hopefully might make me feel less dejected after the high of the Judah wave came to a crashing halt!
Jimmy signed with agent

Of course we should be hoping they are better than advertised. How often has that been the case? Neither forwards are top 100 recruits we have seen recruits much higher ranked come here and struggle a bit.

Lol what are you even trying to argue??? Or just wanting to rant against what I said?

Believe it was reported that both Buddy and Jimmy signed with an agent - Roc Nation.

Dasher has been great in giving pertinent, relevant information on some of the inner workings the last few weeks (thanks man!), but just yesterday the word was that Cole was going to wait until MAY to make a decision… then this happens today. What does it tell us? Things change QUICKLY! JB may have been reluctant to track down another forward in the portal previously without Cole’s decision, this may change his stance drastically. I don’t think that just because JB didn’t want to previously does not equate to him not going to the Portal now.

Looking forward to hearing more soon!

Ain’t happening!
Entire Boeheim clan I’m sure has had enough.

What I'll remember most about Cole is his performance at (potential national champion) UNC. 36 points on 14-21 shooting. Easily one of the best individual games by an SU player in recent memory.

Appreciate the info ... that makes me feel somewhat better but also a whole lot worse if we're not adding anyone, not even a Jimmy Boeheim 2.0:(

Players have until May 1 to enter the portal. They're always adding new inventory every day.

In theory we have until Aug 29 to add new players before the 1st day of classes (although 2nd Summer Semester starts July 5).

We did add Andrew White during State Fair week a few years ago.

Best of luck to Cole. He played hard and improved drastically as the year went on...

Think this may open up some room for Taylor to play more but they are also looking at Camden as well. I expect much more tempo and smaller line ups next year
Who is Camden?

Up until last season Jim made his bones by playing a unique D that was based on great length at key positions. Last season that all changed. We had one of the worst Ds in basketball and had to outscore teams in order win. When we were hot, we could play with anyone. When not we lost or got beat badly. We all know how it ended however there is asterisk based on Franks injury.

With Cole we had an elite shooter who was decent on D. Not much of an Athlete but a grinder who was basically a very good spot up shooter.

Next season we will be back in Jims's comfort level with Athletic long kids manning the forward and center spots and a dynamic kid who can score the ball off the bounce at the point.
My gut tells me that Jim is going to play the D hand and hope to win enough games to make the dance and have these young kids grow up and peak at the tournament. We will be very young and very athletic.
Joe can hit from half court and he will do much better at the 2. Mintz can score, Taylor can shoot, Benny is going to be a completely different player and live up to his 4 star rating. Jesse demands attention and the rest of guys are all great athletes.

SU is going to be fun to watch and drive us crazy early in the year. I believe that we will be a much better team than this years and that Jim is going to coach these kids up. Sneak in as a low seed and end his career in the sweet 16.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom