Collective Deep Breath | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Collective Deep Breath

Purdue had the same struggles Vs Tenn as we did but they rebound much better and thats the only reason they won the game.

You flip the off rebounds by like 5 and thats 2-3 more baskets and its even down the stretch on top of the missed Fts.

We need to hit the boards and no one wants to except Copeland it seems,

I'll just say this in regards to some of the agenda based posting we're seeing here.

We saw posts suggesting to give it time in regards to Mike Hopkins at Wash in like Year 5.
Yet with our own team, we can't give Red more than 5 games.

There's plenty to discuss/complain about. I'm not disagreeing with those. Especially discussing Autry's apparent lack of offensive scheme, etc

But the posts suggesting the first 5 games are a referendum on Autry and the University's decision to hire him as a coach are garbage. I was hoping we'd be better than that.

I’m skeptical about Westry too. He’s not going to fix our main offensive woe which is shooting.
My recollection is that Chance was projected to be a decent shooter (mid-30s from 3), but needed some coaching up to refine his mechanics. Whether that's happened since HS, no idea. My bigger concern with him is that he may never see meaningful minutes again.

My recollection is that Chance was projected to be a decent shooter (mid-30s from 3), but needed some coaching up to refine his mechanics. Whether that's happened since HS, no idea. My bigger concern with him is that he may never see meaningful minutes again.
I'm just going by what I saw in the open practice. Taylor and Bell looked like better shooters. Cuffe too. He finished last in the 3 point shootout they had.

I'm in wait and see mode. I know that there are a lot of new pieces that need to be fit together, but that's the case now at most schools most years. Rosters are no longer developed, they're assembled. I want to see how well Red can make these guys into a cohesive unit. If he can't do that in the next 2-3 years, I don't think he's ready.

Taylor needs room to shoot. He is the #1 guy that should be on the receiving end of a drive and kick out for 3. He isn't quick enough to create his own shot without it being challenged by most athletic defenders.
Agree he needs room. But the offense we are running does not allow that as everyone has to create. he would be better coming off screens, rubs, picks, or set plays like a normal team that passes and moves without the ball.

I'm in wait and see mode. I know that there are a lot of new pieces that need to be fit together, but that's the case now at most schools most years. Rosters are no longer developed, they're assembled. I want to see how well Red can make these guys into a cohesive unit. If he can't do that in the next 2-3 years, I don't think he's ready.
If Syracuse is not a tournament team by the end of year 3, yes there will be some serious consideration about the job Autry is doing. But for me I won't jump to any conclusions so quickly.

Agree he needs room. But the offense we are running does not allow that as everyone has to create. he would be better coming off screens, rubs, picks, or set plays like a normal team that passes and moves without the ball.

Yes, and of course we haven't seen any evidence of that yet.

Anyone expecting us not to be playing Chaminade today was kidding themselves. What is frustrating but also hopeful to me is that despite the weaknesses we know and despite even worse than expected shooting performances we were in both these last 2 games for 35 minutes. I saw a lot to be optimistic about. But those last 5 minutes of each game just sucked. Bad.
As someone else said the 5 games after Chaminade will tell us what we have to look forward to. No top 10 teams but 4 solid P6 opponents.
i dont see how it just magically improves in the next 5...

i would say january and feb is when we see what this team is, esp if westry is coming back.

I'll just say this in regards to some of the agenda based posting we're seeing here.

We saw posts suggesting to give it time in regards to Mike Hopkins at Wash in like Year 5.
Yet with our own team, we can't give Red more than 5 games.

There's plenty to discuss/complain about. I'm not disagreeing with those. Especially discussing Autry's apparent lack of offensive scheme, etc

But the posts suggesting the first 5 games are a referendum on Autry and the University's decision to hire him as a coach are garbage. I was hoping we'd be better than that.
its not an agenda...its a new reality: its a new team every year for almost all ncaabb teams.

the years of slowly building a program are over. there is still "institutional memory" that matters...but not decisively.

this staff seemed to get all they wanted and more in terms of the roster/portal imo

any coach that wants to be successful in this era, needs to be able to build overnight, imo

JB leaving was the prefect chance for Red to say goodbye to those he didnt want and bring in who he did...and the current generation WANTS to play for him...MUCH more than they dd for JB. this isnt JBs roster. It's Red's.

so, yeah, he's just getting used to it and it will take time...but the team struggling with easy things fundamentals, bbal iq etc...getting blown out...its just a really bad look...not even trying to rebound...poor decisions galore.

im willing to give him a year or two to show something...but in the meantime, Im going to call out all the weaknesses I see

These players wanna get paid like pros...these coaches are being paid astronomical sums...

put up or shut up.

its not an agenda...its a new reality: its a new team every year for almost all ncaabb teams.

the years of slowly building a program are over. there is still "institutional memory" that matters...but not decisively.

this staff seemed to get all they wanted and more in terms of the roster/portal imo

any coach that wants to be successful in this era, needs to be able to build overnight, imo

JB leaving was the prefect chance for Red to say goodbye to those he didnt want and bring in who he did...and the current generation WANTS to play for him...MUCH more than they dd for JB. this isnt JBs roster. It's Red's.

so, yeah, he's just getting used to it and it will take time...but the team struggling with easy things fundamentals, bbal iq etc...getting blown out...its just a really bad look...not even trying to rebound...poor decisions galore.

im willing to give him a year or two to show something...but in the meantime, Im going to call out all the weaknesses I see

These players wanna get paid like pros...these coaches are being paid astronomical sums...

put up or shut up.
Based on your posts, I don't believe you. I'll let you scream into the abyss going forward.

Based on your posts, I don't believe you. I'll let you scream into the abyss going forward.
so we cant point out the issues plaguing the team now?

(and plaguing is the perfect word, imo)

i mean I wouldnt call for a replacement before 1-2 years...i mean that.

but its really hard to watch right now...thats just a fact.

Can we all take a step back and take a collective deep breath? It's been five games - two of which came against top 10-15 programs operating at the peak of their powers. Yes there are some concerning trends and areas to improve, but there have also been flashes of potential. Our upcoming stretch of 6 games will tell us a lot more about this team than the last two.

A little dose of humble pie and seeing the standard we're trying to return to will go a long way for both the players and the staff.
Not sure what we have to step back from. Witnessing? We should ignore what we see? Because it’s early? These games count just like the ones at the end. I also don’t understand how the two teams that spanked us are “at the peak of their powers.” We are hoped/expected to improve and develop over the course of the season but those teams won’t also? It’s early for everyone.

Also, Red isn’t an alien who dropped down out of the sky a minute before the first game. He has been with this program for a long time. It’s not like he suddenly inherited a completely foreign program. That’s not to suggest he shouldn’t be given some grace, despite the obvious warts we’re seeing now. I can't see how the issues we are seeing are as a result of his newness to the HC position. All the other position coaches are still in place.

Until Westry does something at this level it’s a bit crazy calling him our best player, if he is our best player then we’re in worse trouble than I originally thought.
What if he's 'Dwyane Wade?'

We can only go up from here let’s not forget where we came from. Jimmy used to start

I look at a program like Arizona when they fired their coach for cheating, replaced him with a long time assistant from another program. He then cleaned house, didn’t skip a beat and reeled off 33 wins in his first season. They’re a top five team again and SU looks like the same team they've been for a decade headed for another bottom half finish in the ACC.

People want to give Red three years to see if he improves? Then what? Give GMac three years? Bring back Hop? Make it a cool 20 years since being a ranked team? IMO he has this season to show he can improve this team…To be clear, I’m not expecting 30 wins or even 20 wins, he has a low bar to clear. I don’t think that’s unreasonable. Maybe I’m wrong. I’m ok with that but I won’t be renewing my seasons or making any more donations without seeing some improvement. This is supposedly big time college basketball and Red’s getting paid a ton of money to show he’s a big time coach.

I look at a program like Arizona when they fired their coach for cheating, replaced him with a long time assistant from another program. He then cleaned house, didn’t skip a beat and reeled off 33 wins in his first season. They’re a top five team again and SU looks like the same team they've been for a decade headed for another bottom half finish in the ACC.

People want to give Red three years to see if he improves? Then what? Give GMac three years? Bring back Hop? Make it a cool 20 years since being a ranked team? IMO he has this season to show he can improve this team…To be clear, I’m not expecting 30 wins or even 20 wins, he has a low bar to clear. I don’t think that’s unreasonable. Maybe I’m wrong. I’m ok with that but I won’t be renewing my seasons or making any more donations without seeing some improvement. This is supposedly big time college basketball and Red’s getting paid a ton of money to show he’s a big time coach.
Then we move onto a national search?

I wasn't thrilled and am not thrilled they didn't open up the search, but the second Autry got the job I believe it's our turn to support the guy especially in the FIRST MONTH. Is 1 month too much to ask?

Additionally, no issues if you or anyone else doesn't want to support. I get it. You can move on. No one is forcing anyone to be a fan. It's gonna be tough sledding for a bit.

so we cant point out the issues plaguing the team now?

(and plaguing is the perfect word, imo)

i mean I wouldnt call for a replacement before 1-2 years...i mean that.

but its really hard to watch right now...thats just a fact.

We have to have a winning year in year two. SU has only had back-to-back losing seasons once, about 60 years ago, and that guy got fired. Every coach we have had, for 100 years, have won roughly 70% of their games, not just Boeheim.

And the next screen we set to free a shooter will be the first of the year.

That's the stuff that's bothering me. There are not loads of natural shooters on this team. You need to be running plays and moving the ball to get guys open looks. Hero-ball was supposed to end when Joe left, but Judah's even worse so far.

Autry made it sound like we likely won't see him at all this year. That would suck, especially if Benny bugs out and leaves.
When did say that about Westry? I think he actually said the opposite.

I’m skeptical about Westry too. He’s not going to fix our main offensive woe which is shooting.

There are teams without shooters that score points and have a good offense

They are schemed radically differently than ours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom