College Football Playoff seeding | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

College Football Playoff seeding

The seeding is the only drama, obviously, but LSU and OSU are probably HEAVY hoping for that 1 spot. The difference between playing Clemson and playing OU is about as massive as it gets.

Yeh it’s a three team race

If this was the basketball committee LSU would be the overall number 1 seed based on resume, but there’s a lot more politics in CFB so I think they put Blohio state number 1 unfortunately.

For me, there’s still that worry of how they’ll do against Clemson/SEC speed and athleticism.

I’m sorry, but Michigan and Wisconsin don’t have Etienne, Lawrence, Higgins, Ross / Burrow, Jefferson, Helaire etc to be combined with elite team speed and talent on defense.

You may very well be right. They haven't shown up in previous years, but I think this year is different. But looking at my iggy predictions so far this year, you should probably ignore anything I have to say.

Last edited:
Ohio State and LSU are both great teams, and Clemson could be just as good or even better. And so, one more problem with the 4-team playoff is that the #2 and the #3 face off in the first round.

My top 8-

Ohio State
LSU
Clemson
Oklahoma
Oregon
Wisconsin
Baylor
Georgia

After #3 it becomes very difficult to differentiate just like it is difficult to differentiate the top 3.

Georgia struggles to score points against good defense even when they are healthy. Yesterday they were very banged up on offense, and they had several opportunities to score more points. Credit LSU on defense of course, but LSU's defense has allowed 21 points a game this year. A few weeks ago Mississippi scored 37 against LSU and the following week Arkansas scored 20 agains them. I think both schools fired their coaches.

Also, Georgia plays in a division with Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Tennessee, Missouri and South Carolina. All of those teams had mediocre seasons or much worse. South Carolina (4-8) beat Georgia at home. South Carolina lost at home to App State and to North Carolina. All of this is to say that the SEC East was Florida and Georgia, and it is unclear how good those teams really are. This isn't the old SEC.

Wisconsin right now is a better team than Georgia. No one really believed that Georgia was the #4 team in America before yesterday, and they clearly were not. Don't forger the narrow victory over Notre Dame at home when everyone predicted that Georgia would run over the Irish.

Ohio State's defense gave up 12.5 points a game whereas LSU's defense allowed 21.0 points a game. Ohio State's offense scored 48.7 points a game which is better than LSU at 47.8.

Ohio State beat Wisconsin 2 times which is really difficult. Yesterday the Buckeyes were dealing with an injured QB going against a Wiscy defense that is right there with Georgia's defense and a Wiscy offense that is better than Georgia's. Wisconsin plays quick. They are not the old Wisconsin. Throw in the let down after the big win in Ann Arbor, and yeah it took a while for Ohio State to find their groove. But they won the second half 27-0.

I reluctantly put Oklahoma at #4. Baylor almost beat Oklahoma playing 3 different QBs including a Freshman. This will be Oklahoma's 4th trip to the CFP where they are 0-3 and have allowed an average of 45.3 points a game.

This system is flawed. Make it the top 8. It will be much better.

Last edited:
Just curious if in the history of college football an undefeated returning champion with the nations longest win streak was ever ranked 3rd the following season while still being undefeated after being undefeated the year before AND having it's QB come back.

1575854760922.png

Clemson - Ohio State is, to use my son's lingo, an epic matchup.

There's never a shortage of Buckeye fans in Phoenix, they have a lot of transplants. How will Clemson travel?

LSU is likely going to destroy Oklahoma, and then get the short trip to New Orleans.

I am just glad Ohio State has to beat both Clemson and LSU in New Orleans.

They got dinged for yesterday so conference title games matter.

ESPN just said Clemson opening -2. ESPN is wrong with lines a lot but if yes, wow.

ESPN just said Clemson opening -2. ESPN is wrong with lines a lot but if yes, wow.
Clemson -2.5
LSU -11.5

Ohio State ML best value for now. I bet that will close Ohio State favored.

OSu played 4-5 tough games and thats if you think Wisc was tough.

cincy they dominated
mich/psu they struggled
1 wisc game they dominated 1 they struggled

LSU played 4-5 really tough games and thats if you think Texas was tough
Ga they dominated
ala/aub/tex/FL they struggled

but to me aub/ala/Fl are all better than anyone OSU played

Clem
played 1 close game UNC and 1 other semi close game TAM
dominated everyone else
But since UNC they have hammered everyone. just the schedule is so weak who knows.

Struggled with Michigan? really?

For me, there’s still that worry of how they’ll do against Clemson/SEC speed and athleticism.

I’m sorry, but Michigan and Wisconsin don’t have Etienne, Lawrence, Higgins, Ross / Burrow, Jefferson, Helaire etc to be combined with elite team speed and talent on defense.

Two ways to look at it. Clemson has essentially played nobody. I would never sell them short cuz they have plenty of dudes and the Dabo/Venables combination is formidable. But OSU has plenty of team speed and a lot of dudes themselves that will populate NFL rosters for years to come. Should be a classic.

it was 28-16 at the half.
It was 56-27 at the final whistle.

Put it on the poll, Guillermo... is beating Michigan 56-27 a “struggling” win for Ohio State.

it was 28-16 at the half.

That's an indication of how they dominated this year. Somebody on their home field stays within two TDs of OSU in the 1H and it's considered a struggle. In the 2H OSU crushed them and in the PSU game they made a few mistakes to allow PSU back into the game.

Clemson -2.5
LSU -11.5

Ohio State ML best value for now. I bet that will close Ohio State favored.

You new to vegas and lines? No offense intended. However, no way it swings that far.

You new to vegas and lines? No offense intended. However, no way it swings that far.

You're probably right that OSU won't close as a favorite but it's not a big deal for a line to swing from +2 to Even or -1. Once you get inside 3 points those lines can move easily. It's when the # is around key areas like 3, 6 and 7 that they get sticky.

You realize Vegas swings there lines as money is bet.
I said that Ohio State is the value as an underdog. If most of the money comes in on Ohio State it will move from 2.5 and could swing to Ohio State a slight favorite.

Feels so weird typing this, but I'm a big Clemson fan over the next month. I would love to see them pound the salt out of Ohio State. Loathe everything about the Buckeyes.

Yes, the ACC was down this year, but Clemson running the table would be a nice middle finger to every other conference.

I cannot stand Clemson, but I will root for them against the likes of OSU/LSU/Okie.

gbo, you're welcome.

Just curious if in the history of college football an undefeated returning champion with the nations longest win streak was ever ranked 3rd the following season while still being undefeated after being undefeated the year before AND having it's QB come back.
Not sure if this is sarcasm because this exact scenario played out in the inaugural CFP in 2014. FSU went 14-0 & won the title in 2013 & was seeded 3rd in the CFP after going 13-0 & returning Jameis. Almost an identical résumé to Clemson this year with the lack of quality wins thanks to a down ACC, though FSU barely squeaked by in multiple games.

Not sure if this is sarcasm because this exact scenario played out in the inaugural CFP in 2014. FSU went 14-0 & won the title in 2013 & was seeded 3rd in the CFP after going 13-0 & returning Jameis. It was due to the same lack of quality wins in a down ACC.
It was because Florida State didn’t look good on the field.
They were barely beating teams that year.
It honestly doesn’t matter if you are 2 or 3.
The committee analyzes margin of victory, how complete a team you are, schedule strength.

This Clemson team even with the weak schedule wasn’t as dominant for the whole season like Ohio State and LSU have been.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom