Concerns | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Concerns

I'd like to point one difference between Liberty and Howard. Ok 22 differences really. They are called scholarships. Liberty in fact is not an FCS, Div1AA, or whatever wannabe real football school name you want to give them. They are a full D1 member this year with 85 scholarship players. The offense was out of sync, we get it. That being said this wasn't Shafer struggling against Nova either.

I hope so. Because there are a lot of "S"s next to the names of defensive players on the roster. This'd be a good year to win some games before what's sure to be a rebuilding year next season.
Dont think it will be as much if a rebuild as many think.
Virtually everyone on offense comes back.
True, the defense has massive graduations, but the secondary is really solid and the young backers look good. Josh Black is the real deal and we have a big group of talented youngsters.

Yes, we lose 2 great DEs but this team has some depth fie a change.

There's nothing wrong with the basics of what the OP asked. Not one person on here has any idea whether TD will be a version of Jay Cutler or Matt Ryan. So there's absolutely nothing wrong with posing the question. QB's get drafted in the 1st round all the time that are supposedly sure things with 4 years of tape to evaluate and end up turning into nothing.

Just because TD was a great H.S. player, sat and learned before he became the starter, can make all the throws in practice - none of that guarantees he will be a good college player. Even if he plays lights out this weekend it only tells us he can do that, not that he can consistently do that over the course of a season. Every win/loss in college is so important for the bowl season.

I think he will be a great player but I also think it's a fair question to wonder if he's the real deal or not. Time will tell.

I'd like to point one difference between Liberty and Howard. Ok 22 differences really. They are called scholarships. Liberty in fact is not an FCS, Div1AA, or whatever wannabe real football school name you want to give them. They are a full D1 member this year with 85 scholarship players. The offense was out of sync, we get it. That being said this wasn't Shafer struggling against Nova either.
That Villanova team was a better team than that Liberty team.

That Villanova team was a better team than that Liberty team.
Well that Villanova team beat Liberty in the FCS playoff by a TD. Since then Liberty has become a full fledged FBS team and is now 22 Div 1 scholarship players deeper than they were 5 years ago. You’re still overrating that Nova squad.

Well that Villanova team beat Liberty in the FCS playoff by a TD. Since then Liberty has become a full fledged FBS team and is now 22 Div 1 scholarship players deeper than they were 5 years ago. You’re still overrating that Nova squad.
I think Villanova would have won the FCS championship that year had Robertson not got injured in the quarter finals. The teams that win the FCS championship aren't pushovers, like Howard.

Two things: The camera work on the broadcast was terrible. You couldn't really see what the WRs were doing. So, it's hard to know if the body language was inappropriate, or Jackson was justifiably frustrated.

Running game: Where is Jordan? We need something other than run it up the middle and hope it works. Jordan supposedly is lightning fast. If so, that would diversify the running attack.
I doubt Jordan will see the field until Dino in confident he can handle the mental aspect of things. I don't think we'll see him in more than 4 games this year.

Of course you do, because the sky is always falling in Camillus Mall.
Seeing as Camillus mall was erased from this earth that’s not the best metaphor.

Seeing as Camillus mall was erased from this earth that’s not the best metaphor.
Well, that's the only place I can remember a Franco's pizza being at.

Well, that's the only place I can remember a Franco's pizza being at.
Just saying for those who worked at that mall the sky was probably literally falling for them.

There's nothing wrong with the basics of what the OP asked. Not one person on here has any idea whether TD will be a version of Jay Cutler or Matt Ryan. So there's absolutely nothing wrong with posing the question. QB's get drafted in the 1st round all the time that are supposedly sure things with 4 years of tape to evaluate and end up turning into nothing.

Just because TD was a great H.S. player, sat and learned before he became the starter, can make all the throws in practice - none of that guarantees he will be a good college player. Even if he plays lights out this weekend it only tells us he can do that, not that he can consistently do that over the course of a season. Every win/loss in college is so important for the bowl season.

I think he will be a great player but I also think it's a fair question to wonder if he's the real deal or not. Time will tell.

Not going to down Tommy off of one game.

But I said before the season and maintain now that the biggest mistake many in our fanbase are making is the myth that it will be easy to replace Eric.

The notion that Tommy will be a plug-and-play replacement or, sillier still, an improvement as a sophomore is naive at best in my opinion.

He may be able to "spin it," but that's not the be all and end all of being a good college QB.

I think TD will be an excellent QB eventually, but folks here may be about a year early in their expectations.

Why do legitimate concerns mean to you we think the sky is falling. These type of posts are changing, misrepresenting, and exaggerating a very appropriate measured, thoughtful post about concerns. Concerns, not hysteria not panic, not fear. Adult measured concern. There should be concern from every fan that Tommy Devito may not play well enough for SU to win vs a good team like at Maryland after not playing well at Liberty. Its a very appropriate and legitimate thought process by an impassioned SU fan. Are you only a fan with emotionless glazed cult like following and acceptance of everything that happens? If you don't give a crap and everything is fine all the time how is that even caring about the team and what happens to it.
PS: And if Tommy plays really well that doesn't mean that the initial concern wasn't still legitimate.
The concern is legitimate, I’ll admit that much. Here’s the thing, one quarterback is only part of the equation. I don’t think TD had a good performance, but I am also not that concerned about it. This is the best defense we have had in nearly twenty years. This defense is quite possibly top ten and full of guys that will play on Sunday. The special teams is elite, likely top five. That gives a very large margin of error for breaking in a new QB (hell, look at Bo Nix). That is not even getting into the RBs on the roster that can carry the load (I’m honestly more concerned about the OL).

Now onto Maryland. They played Howard, 79-0 is impressive but we have seen the same story before. This is a brand new coaching staff with a HC that does not have a great track record for in game adjustments or preparing his team. Could he have learned at Bama? Sure, but the talent and a bad SEC could have just masked how much he had to do with getting those kids ready last year. They have a lot of talent, maybe more than us. However, that is not the entire equation either. That team is still working out the kinks of an entire system while ours is working on gelling together; big difference. UMD is at home and that will be a challenge, a good challenge.

I’m concerned about the talent gap, the early season break in of new players, nor the potential of us overlooking UMD for Clemson. We can absolutely lose this game by dropping a dud and the game will be way too close for comfort. However, I have watched my whole life as teams with very good defenses and special teams find ways to have a lot of success with a mediocre to good QB. That’s all we need TD to be to win. I have faith that the team will be ready to play and come out of there with a win and the alternative will be the only reason we lose.

Thanks for suggesting that I did not, and am not capable of, responding like an adult or at the least that I am incapable of telling the difference between adult and child like reactions. Also, thank you for suggesting I am not a true fan because my opinion might be bullish on the situation. Your entire post smacked of arrogance and high holiness without saying much other than that.

Go Orange

I want the Waukesha kid named Heckle to heal up and be healthy as soon as possible.

The concern is legitimate, I’ll admit that much. Here’s the thing, one quarterback is only part of the equation. I don’t think TD had a good performance, but I am also not that concerned about it. This is the best defense we have had in nearly twenty years. This defense is quite possibly top ten and full of guys that will play on Sunday. The special teams is elite, likely top five. That gives a very large margin of error for breaking in a new QB (hell, look at Bo Nix). That is not even getting into the RBs on the roster that can carry the load (I’m honestly more concerned about the OL).

Now onto Maryland. They played Howard, 79-0 is impressive but we have seen the same story before. This is a brand new coaching staff with a HC that does not have a great track record for in game adjustments or preparing his team. Could he have learned at Bama? Sure, but the talent and a bad SEC could have just masked how much he had to do with getting those kids ready last year. They have a lot of talent, maybe more than us. However, that is not the entire equation either. That team is still working out the kinks of an entire system while ours is working on gelling together; big difference. UMD is at home and that will be a challenge, a good challenge.

I’m concerned about the talent gap, the early season break in of new players, nor the potential of us overlooking UMD for Clemson. We can absolutely lose this game by dropping a dud and the game will be way too close for comfort. However, I have watched my whole life as teams with very good defenses and special teams find ways to have a lot of success with a mediocre to good QB. That’s all we need TD to be to win. I have faith that the team will be ready to play and come out of there with a win and the alternative will be the only reason we lose.

Thanks for suggesting that I did not, and am not capable of, responding like an adult or at the least that I am incapable of telling the difference between adult and child like reactions. Also, thank you for suggesting I am not a true fan because my opinion might be bullish on the situation. Your entire post smacked of arrogance and high holiness without saying much other than that.

Go Orange

2001 a very nice example of this. I remember going to that game @VT beating number 5 in their house and saying how in the he** did they just do that.

Go Orange

Your last paragraph is somewhat ironic. Quotes from your original post; "The insecurity of this fan base never ceases to amaze me." "If I had a dollar for every time an SU fan thought the sky was falling because of one rough performance (basketball or football) I’d be a rich man."

Clearly, those remarks weren't intended to be complimentary. Therefore, just as you've spewed above, one could interpret those comments of yours coming across just as 'arrogant,' 'high holiness' along with being condescending.

I was going to like this post until the last paragraph where you do exactly what my post wishes you wouldn't. You again mis-characterize my post as saying anything to you about your adult reactions, and calling you not a true fan then turning around and calling me arrogant. I thought your post was good thoughtful and explained why you are not concerned up until the unfair and wrong last paragraph.
I am concerned and we'll leave it at that. We all have good points to make. Some better than others.

How do you judge an OC when we ran like 10 plays ? ALL descions on game plan are by HCDB . And we won ... boy I can’t wait to see what happens when we lose ...

Good point, and this is what people mean by vanilla. We really did run the same plays over and over. All 10 of them. I was actually disappointed we showed Maryland a pass to the TE in the flat. I think that was the first completion of the night?

How do you judge an OC when we ran like 10 plays ? ALL descions on game plan are by HCDB . And we won ... boy I can’t wait to see what happens when we lose ...
We better not this week.

I appreciate you posting and I am rooting for your son like crazy but it may be wise to take a 3 month hiatus from the board. Just my personal opinion, as you are free to do as you choose.

So, quick question to anyone with insight into Maryland. Are they a tempo team or are they more deliberate?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom